Looking for some holiday shopping advice, help me stear clear of iPad!

adambean

Nov 6, 2010
Hey all,

My fiance REALLY wants an iPad for Xmas and I can't stress to her enough how much I don't want to get her one (not an Apple fan). With that said, I want to get her an Android Tablet. However, the minimal reading I've done thus far, doesn't seem overly promising. I continually read that the masses are saying "wait for 3.0". Is this really true? Are the tablets that exist today truly not that good? So, a couple things I'd like to ask.

1) The existing tablets that support 2.2, is there any confirmation that they can be upgraded to 3.0 in the future?
2) What is the best tablet as of today?
3) Is the Samsung Galaxy tablet the best to wait on for this holiday season?
4) You don't have to have a contract and/or data plan if you simply use Wi-Fi only correct?
5) Are there/will there be any tablets that support expandable memory (SD cards) and/or USB drives?

I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm going to try and educate myself the best I can with what I can find.

Thanks in advance

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey all,

My fiance REALLY wants an iPad for Xmas and I can't stress to her enough how much I don't want to get her one (not an Apple fan). With that said, I want to get her an Android Tablet. However, the minimal reading I've done thus far, doesn't seem overly promising. I continually read that the masses are saying "wait for 3.0". Is this really true? Are the tablets that exist today truly not that good? So, a couple things I'd like to ask.

1) The existing tablets that support 2.2, is there any confirmation that they can be upgraded to 3.0 in the future?
4) You don't have to have a contract and/or data plan if you simply use Wi-Fi only correct?
5) Are there/will there be any tablets that support expandable memory (SD cards) and/or USB drives?

I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm going to try and educate myself the best I can with what I can find.

Thanks in advance
Adam, welcome to the forum, welcome to Android, and congratulations on your engagement.

First, a bit of advice (coming from 21 years of marriage...I started young...): if your fiancee wants an iPad, buy her an iPad. If your fiancee wants an X, buy her an X. If your fiancee wants a Z, buy her a Z. You get the picture. That's how marriage works. Wives rarely tell their husbands what they want (they expect you to psychically know), so when she tells you, don't hesistate--OR DEBATE WITH HER--just do it. :D Even if she's wrong and you're right, it's better if you do it.

Second, I'm skipping over 1-3...regarding 4) it's anticipated that many tabs (including the Samsung Galaxy) will have wifi-only models that will run $400-$500. Once you buy it, there are no contracts, no data charges. Buy a tablet with 3G, and you're probably getting a contract and a plan for wireless access.

Regarding 5) I think it's safe to say that a standard feature on most (all?) Android tablets is either a microSD or standard SD card slot. Many supposedly accept 32GB cards. Running external USB drives is a more unusual feature...I just read a review on one (which was it???) that includes the function. Oh yeah, it was the Viewsonic:

Viewsonic’s Tegra 2 tablet on sale now at Sears for $379 – Android and Me

-Matt

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
What you do is get her an iPad.

Buy you a Gingerbread/Honeycomb tablet. Let her wish she wanted an Android.

Rub it in her face she should had wait.

File for divorce papers.

NAH Just BSn'g you.

1. There's never any confirmation that existing 2.2 tablets will be upgraded to Gingerbread. It all exist in the MFR keeping up with support and pushing firmware updates. So it's basically a hit or miss with that. To prove my point, the Galaxy S series have YET to get any 2.2 updates. So to expect a quick update on the Galaxy Tab w/ not likely, especially with Gingerbread around the corner. The only way you're truly be up to speed is via rooting. Also there hasn't been a solid 2.2 release of Android on a tablet except for the ViewSonic G Pad and even it is having issues, most noticeably is the no flash support on the Tegra 2 Processor. So it's just really hit or miss on that.

2. As of today honestly, the only two to really mention is the Archos 70 and ViewSonic GPad 10 but this is only MY opinion. If you got Sprint or Verizon, you can preorder the Galaxy Tab via Best Buy. In the next couple of week Elocity A7 is being released with Tegra 2. There will be an onslaught of Ginberbread Tablets dropping 1st-2nd Qtr.

3. That's just a personal preference on the Galaxy Tab. It's the best Name Brand Tablet that will come out for the Holiday. I'm not a Samsung fan, but if the Wifi was coming out before the holidays I would consider it.

4. Contracts are not required. If you're wanting a wifi only, don't buy a Galaxy Tab that is tied to a carrier. It would be pointless.

5. Most of the Tablets that are out do suppose Micro SD. I believe the Galaxy Tab doesn't. It doesn't have a USB either just 30 pin socket. Most other tablets I have seen all have USB, Micro SD, and some have HDMI outlet like Archos 70 and Elocity a7 (supports full 1080p)

These are just my insights. Personally I'm waiting for the Elocity a7. Spec wise it's everything I want. Brand wise, eh, as long as it can be rooted and supported, I'll be happy.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hey all,

Thanks in advance

Lets see if I can give you some advice as well that might help I agree when a wife says something do it unless it has anything to do with android my fiance now my wife wanted a blackberry curve because it was pretty and had a key board I tried talking her into getting an lg ally because it was cute and has a key board everything she wanted and then android is what I wanted finally she agreed and now she thanks me all the time for not getting her a blackberry. Now on to your questions every body says wait for 3.0 because its the " next best thing " but in all reality no one really knows what's going to be different from 2.2. And if your looking at an ipad that's at least 500 bucks for that you could get her a 2.2 tablet now and then a 3.0 tablet when they come out no big deal. Also android offers flash which she will want if she wants the web to feel like the web also every tablet comes with sd card slot and usually usb ports so no extra cables needed. Now to what's the best one out that's all up to the user but wanting a 2.2 tablet narrows down your choices a little bit so that should help. And your right if its wifi you don't need to sign a contract and even if you get one with 3g capability it will give you the option to add it later. I hope those thoughts of mine help out if you have any more questions just ask

adambean

Nov 6, 2010
Thank you all. Your information and humor were very much so appreciated. I am still doing some homework at this point, but after many talks last night with the woman, I'm thinking my new plan is to buy a netbook for now and wait on the next generation of Android tablets and get one later next year. Not entirely sure yet how she feels about this as she was set on the iPad, but we're going to go demo some of the netbooks at BestBuy this week to see if it's something she would enjoy. For now, I think it's the better move, and with that, now I have to figure out which to get. Currently I'm digging some of the mid to high end Asus's over on Newegg.

On a side note, iPad doesn't support flash, really? That's ridiculous, not to mention the $800 price tag on the 64gb 3gb/wifi model, my god.

Anyways, I'll come back to this thread when/if I have additional questions, but for now, I think you've all helped and I do appreciate it.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2010
I just got an gpad m701/irobot/apad 7" telechips 8902 at 720mhz, g-sensor, multi-touch, usb, hdmi out. IT IS AWESOME!
I have been an Apple fan for many years, and I love the Ipad. I really wanted one, and maybe Ill buy one for my fiancee.

But after a week with my Gpad M701 Android Tablet, let me tell you, it has been awesome, I love the Ipad, BUT I CANT PUT THE IPAD IN MY POCKET, lol! To be honest with you, a 10" tablet is too big for me, I am really glad I settled for my 7 inch tablet, I really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but at $399 to $599, that to me, is too expensive for me, I cant afford it.

This tablet is awesome, I installed Quickoffice and Documentstogo, its been great!, I installed skyfire browser, and Im doing all my reading with it, I also got the kindle app and i do all my book reading with it, let me tell you something very important, because I was going to buy an Ipad:

I held my 7" android table for hours with my left hand to read and I never got tired, I held the Ipad for 15 minutes I coudnt hang, I think my android tablet is like 300mgs? (im not sure), BUT ITS LIGHTER THAN MY CELL PHONE! hahaha, can you believe that? thats pretty sickly cool. Also my hdmi out has been working better than I ever imagined, I watch full 1080p to my lcd's at home? wow!!

One other cool thing is that I dont have to be tied down anymore, even with a laptop or ipad, i dont really think its really feasible to walk around with it everywhere..

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
Wow I'm glad I found you guys! I too was eyeing the iPad. My hubby choked at the price and I agree, more than I need to spend. My next choice was Android and since this would be my first tablet, I've been doing research. This thread helped me alot.. good questions AdamBean!! I think I am leaning to the Archos 101. Larger drive, good graphics, larger screen size but not laptop heavy. I do prefer a little larger screen and don't need to carry in a pocket, on a bus or to the office.

So here is a question ... I am new to how apps work and haven't used a tablet, i would be a casual user wanting to surf, do emails and the occasional document and spreadsheet. Yet none of the info I find on any tablet tells me it can do these things. Videos w/the webcam yes. Read books with yes. Listen to music yes. But I want more than some large mp3 player or Kindle. Am I barking up the wrong tree and should just look for a new laptop??

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
A tablet will be able to do all that you want and more but if you are looking at an archos they don't have the official market on them so you will have to read up how to load apps but that is super easy so don't let that scare you

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
Thanks Prob - I am nervous about taking the leap but feel confident I'm choosing one that will perform how I want. I did read the same thing about the app market and hoped it was easy enough to get around. I haven't yet researched that aspect too much yet but is on my list next. I'm really thinking I'll be happy with a tablet compared to a laptop. I'm reading in the Archos thread now and making sure I'll be happy with my choice. :)

adambean

Nov 6, 2010
Ok, we might actually still be in the tablet world at this time. Would love to be able to demo one somewhere, do any retail stores carry them at this time?

Anyways, some basic specs I'm looking for in a tablet in order of importance:
- Great user reviews
- Fast/responsive
- Froyo support
- WiFi
- HDMI out (assuming this is micro, type D yes?)
* Can we expect a decent picture streaming videos to the TV? This was actually one of the reasons we were debating the move to a netbook, but an earlier post stated that they have HDMI out on theirs, this is promising!
- Preferably under $500
- Easy ability to root
- Sold by NewEgg or Amazon (gotta love financing)
- Expandable memory
- USB support
- 3G (without having to sign a contract, would like to have it if we ever needed it)
- ZAGG support (invisible shield)

Any recommendations/suggestions with the above criteria?

Also, another question in regards to the Android tablet world at large. Can you utilize your existing Android market place login to re-download existing apps/games you've already purchased? She owns an original Droid and I have an X. I have quite a small fortune invested into apps and games I've purchased and would be rather happy if I could have those on a tablet without having to re-purchase.

Thanks again!