Lost ... trying to decide which cheap tablet to buy for youtube

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Hello,

OK, I am lost.

Background first … I have only had one tablet … about 7 or 8 years ago.

Junk .. got it because I was going to Disney and wanted to use their “new” app … did not have a smart phone at the time. Slow … never worked right … paid about $100

Two years ago, I was given a smart phone! It was an old Iphone 6 with a cracked screen. I changed out the screen and realized smartphones are somewhat useful.

Last year it did … just would not make a call … but the wifi still worked (the house is about 50 ft from the shop and I get wifi pretty good here)

So I bought a new (well a used) iphone to replace it.

I am building a new workshop (long story … my wife is disabled and I work out of the house so I can take care of her … I need a shop and decided to build it myself).

OK … I am 60 and don’t really like listening to the radio.

I do listen to a lot of youtube.

So I took my old phone … used the youtube app and put it into some old speakers … worked great !!!!!!!

Well till I got caught in a rain storm. Phone go wet …. died.

Sooooo … finally back to today …

I don’t want to spend $300 just to listen to youtube … so another used iphone is our (if I am right, I need at least an iphone 6 or higher).

I tried an old laptop I was given … tooooo old. Has 32 bit XP … could only run Opera for a browser and it would not do youtube without lagging.

I started looking at an Android tablet.

I found this web site and started reading.

Thought this would be easy … hmmmm

I found a used one on ebay … $50 .. but when I read the reviews even when it was new it was slow and had problems with youtube. It has 8.1 on it.

So I found a couple more new ones on Amazon … but started reading things like “8 cores but all but 3 are locked” or “says Android 11 but really has 5 on it”

I did find two more:

Amazon.com : 10.1" Tablet,Android 11 Tablet,S9 2in 1 Tablet with Keyboard Bundle,4+64+256GB Large Storage,GMS(Gray) : Electronics

Amazon.com : 2 in 1 Tablet 10.1 Inch, Android 11.0 Tablets, 64GB/128GB ROM, Dual 4G Cellular with Keyboard, 18MP Camera, Octa-Core Processor, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, Google Certified Tablet PC(2022 Gray) : Electronics

The first one is $120 … the second $140 ($170 with a $30 coupon)

The big difference I see is the first has 11 GO and the second full 11

Is it better to get a “lite” operating system on a cheap tablet or ?

OK .. so what do I do ?????

I don’t want to spend a lot of money.

Will any of these do youtube on wifi?

Is there anything any better I can get for about $100 - $150 ?

Thanks so much … Mike

PS … here is me pretending to be a carpenter Log into Facebook | Facebook

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 28

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Something to help your decision making. The only real difference between Android and Android Go is the Google apps bundled into the package. An Android Go app uses about half the RAM of the standard version of the same app. The drawback is that sometimes these apps are simplified and are lacking features found in the full app.

Does this affect you? Surprisingly not as Google - as of last month - is encouraging Android Go users to upgrade to the full version of the YouTube app. Their reasoning is that the full app is sufficiently optimized to work under the memory constraints of a device running Android Go. So, you can now get the full YouTube app on an Android Go device and the app should run perfectly fine, on WiFi too.

Now that the Android Go issue is out of the way, where you don't want to spend a lot of money, head over to WalMart and buy their 7" tablet for $59. It will do everything you need it to do, and should last you several years. A piece of advice however: don't be too concerned about firmware updates on a tablet. By all means, if the tablet offers one take it, but be aware that firmware updates will stop. When they stop, they stop. Just continue using the tablet as you have been, because the apps themselves will continue getting updates, even if Android itself does not.

P.S. So long as the tablet has at least 2GB of RAM, a quad-core processor, and some storage space you should be able to run YouTube on it regardless of the age of the tablet or the Android version it has on it. My own tablet is about five years old and still runs YouTube quite well. So while I pointed out WalMart I only did so because you could get the device that day, without waiting for Amazon to ship it. Any tablet in the price range you mentioned should be able to run YouTube, so you're not limited to WalMart.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Something to help your decision making. The only real difference between Android and Android Go is the Google apps bundled into the package. An Android Go app uses about half the RAM of the standard version of the same app. The drawback is that sometimes these apps are simplified and are lacking features found in the full app.

Does this affect you? Surprisingly not as Google - as of last month - is encouraging Android Go users to upgrade to the full version of the YouTube app. Their reasoning is that the full app is sufficiently optimized to work under the memory constraints of a device running Android Go. So, you can now get the full YouTube app on an Android Go device and the app should run perfectly fine, on WiFi too.

Now that the Android Go issue is out of the way, where you don't want to spend a lot of money, head over to WalMart and buy their 7" tablet for $59. It will do everything you need it to do, and should last you several years. A piece of advice however: don't be too concerned about firmware updates on a tablet. By all means, if the tablet offers one take it, but be aware that firmware updates will stop. When they stop, they stop. Just continue using the tablet as you have been, because the apps themselves will continue getting updates, even if Android itself does not.

P.S. So long as the tablet has at least 2GB of RAM, a quad-core processor, and some storage space you should be able to run YouTube on it regardless of the age of the tablet or the Android version it has on it. My own tablet is about five years old and still runs YouTube quite well. So while I pointed out WalMart I only did so because you could get the device that day, without waiting for Amazon to ship it. Any tablet in the price range you mentioned should be able to run YouTube, so you're not limited to WalMart.
YOU ARE AWESOME!

Exactly the information I was looking for!

I am a history buff ... like listening to shows and such ... youtube is great for that.

Working by yourself day after day, it is nice just to have some noise in the background.

I don't even have cable TV, just over the air.

I am thinking of breaking down and buying the youtube stream so I don't have to listen to commercials.

I will never play a game ... don't even have any on my computer.

My computer is a tool to me ... AutoCad .... PLC programming .... spreadsheets ....

I just got very confused reading amazon reviews and all the questions on this forum.

Thanks again so very much!

Mike

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Just looking at ebay .... several older model tablets ... Android 8, 9 or 10

Very cheap ... $35

Is it worth buying one with an old operating system or just spend a few $'s more and get Andriod 11 ?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, I would buy new. Those old tablets are going to have old batteries, which will cause problems in the future. On the flip side, the battery in my Lenovo tablet was very easy to replace when I needed to, but most devices are not like my Lenovo.

Kwok Yung

Oct 3, 2019
Hello,

OK, I am lost.

Background first … I have only had one tablet … about 7 or 8 years ago.

Junk .. got it because I was going to Disney and wanted to use their “new” app … did not have a smart phone at the time. Slow … never worked right … paid about $100

Two years ago, I was given a smart phone! It was an old Iphone 6 with a cracked screen. I changed out the screen and realized smartphones are somewhat useful.

Last year it did … just would not make a call … but the wifi still worked (the house is about 50 ft from the shop and I get wifi pretty good here)

So I bought a new (well a used) iphone to replace it.

I am building a new workshop (long story … my wife is disabled and I work out of the house so I can take care of her … I need a shop and decided to build it myself).

OK … I am 60 and don’t really like listening to the radio.

I do listen to a lot of youtube.

So I took my old phone … used the youtube app and put it into some old speakers … worked great !!!!!!!

Well till I got caught in a rain storm. Phone go wet …. died.

Sooooo … finally back to today …

I don’t want to spend $300 just to listen to youtube … so another used iphone is our (if I am right, I need at least an iphone 6 or higher).

I tried an old laptop I was given … tooooo old. Has 32 bit XP … could only run Opera for a browser and it would not do youtube without lagging.

I started looking at an Android tablet.

I found this web site and started reading.

Thought this would be easy … hmmmm

I found a used one on ebay … $50 .. but when I read the reviews even when it was new it was slow and had problems with youtube. It has 8.1 on it.

So I found a couple more new ones on Amazon … but started reading things like “8 cores but all but 3 are locked” or “says Android 11 but really has 5 on it”

I did find two more:

Amazon.com : 10.1" Tablet,Android 11 Tablet,S9 2in 1 Tablet with Keyboard Bundle,4+64+256GB Large Storage,GMS(Gray) : Electronics

Amazon.com : 2 in 1 Tablet 10.1 Inch, Android 11.0 Tablets, 64GB/128GB ROM, Dual 4G Cellular with Keyboard, 18MP Camera, Octa-Core Processor, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, Google Certified Tablet PC(2022 Gray) : Electronics

The first one is $120 … the second $140 ($170 with a $30 coupon)

The big difference I see is the first has 11 GO and the second full 11

Is it better to get a “lite” operating system on a cheap tablet or ?

OK .. so what do I do ?????

I don’t want to spend a lot of money.

Will any of these do youtube on wifi?

Is there anything any better I can get for about $100 - $150 ?

Thanks so much … Mike

PS … here is me pretending to be a carpenter Log into Facebook | Facebook
Be careful with noname tablets. A lot of time you don't get what you expected. My kids has been using the Amazon Fire tablet 10" for the past 2 years and are still very happy with it. You can easily get one for under $200 (even little over $100 when on sale). The draw back is it needs some work to get Google play store to run on it and it does not cast to big TV screen (if you ever need to run Android Apps or cast to big TV). The other option is to buy a Chromebook, you can get a Lenovo Chromebook for under $200 when one sale. I was able to get a Lenovo 2 in 1 (i.e. I can detach the keyboard and just use the screen like a tablet) for under $200 from BestBuy. You have to look for sale. The Chromebook comes with Google play store already installed and I can easily cast my screen to my TV using Chromecast.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Be careful with noname tablets. A lot of time you don't get what you expected. My kids has been using the Amazon Fire tablet 10" for the past 2 years and are still very happy with it. You can easily get one for under $200 (even little over $100 when on sale). The draw back is it needs some work to get Google play store to run on it and it does not cast to big TV screen (if you ever need to run Android Apps or cast to big TV). The other option is to buy a Chromebook, you can get a Lenovo Chromebook for under $200 when one sale. I was able to get a Lenovo 2 in 1 (i.e. I can detach the keyboard and just use the screen like a tablet) for under $200 from BestBuy. You have to look for sale. The Chromebook comes with Google play store already installed and I can easily cast my screen to my TV using Chromecast.
WOW ... I just pulled up 5 articles all saying "andriod is dead"

All recommended a chromebook of full laptop

OK, just looked ...Lenovo chromebook ... $149 on amazon (their are a few .. $114 to $$$$$$$)

So I guess my only real question is about apps

I have a lot of devices that say "ISO (apple) or Andriod"

I don't see any (and admittedly I have not looked) that say Chrome OS

Do andriod apps run on chrome os or ???

Thanks!

Kwok Yung

Oct 3, 2019
WOW ... I just pulled up 5 articles all saying "andriod is dead"

All recommended a chromebook of full laptop

OK, just looked ...Lenovo chromebook ... $149 on amazon (their are a few .. $114 to $$$$$$$)

So I guess my only real question is about apps

I have a lot of devices that say "ISO (apple) or Andriod"

I don't see any (and admittedly I have not looked) that say Chrome OS

Do andriod apps run on chrome os or ???

Thanks!
There are two big camps out there. Apple fans and non-apple. Apple fans are of course IOS and i-family (iphone, ipad....). Non-Apple are Microsoft windows, Android, Google chrome , Linux... and anything that is not produced by Apple company. Google builds Chrome OS and versions of Android used by phones. If you search for Market share between IOS phones and Android phones, there are about 30% IOS and 70% Android. I don't think Android is dead . At least not for the next few years. Chromebook runs Chrome OS which is what Google is using to take away market share from Windows (or even IOS). Chromebook running Chrome OS is good enough for most users doing email, web browsing or Youtubing. It is also at a much lower price point. Because most phones are running a version of Android from Google, most newer Chrombooks have Android installed already on it. The Lenovo C13 that I just purchased, Google play store is there when I power it up. I am not sure if all the apps from play store will run on my Chromebook. But all that are running on my Android phone are also running on the Chromebook. So if your budget is under $200, you are better off getting a Chromebook new instead of buying a used i-something because I think a used i-phone or i-pad under $200 will be quite old from software currency perspective. If you spend close to $200, you should be able to get a 2 in 1 when on sales. A 2 in 1 allow you to detach the keyboard so that you can use your chromebook like a tablet instead of a laptop. Unless you travel a lot, typing on a real keyboard is much easier then typing on a tablet using the virtual keyboard.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
There are two big camps out there. Apple fans and non-apple. Apple fans are of course IOS and i-family (iphone, ipad....). Non-Apple are Microsoft windows, Android, Google chrome , Linux... and anything that is not produced by Apple company. Google builds Chrome OS and versions of Android used by phones. If you search for Market share between IOS phones and Android phones, there are about 30% IOS and 70% Android. I don't think Android is dead . At least not for the next few years. Chromebook runs Chrome OS which is what Google is using to take away market share from Windows (or even IOS). Chromebook running Chrome OS is good enough for most users doing email, web browsing or Youtubing. It is also at a much lower price point. Because most phones are running a version of Android from Google, most newer Chrombooks have Android installed already on it. The Lenovo C13 that I just purchased, Google play store is there when I power it up. I am not sure if all the apps from play store will run on my Chromebook. But all that are running on my Android phone are also running on the Chromebook. So if your budget is under $200, you are better off getting a Chromebook new instead of buying a used i-something because I think a used i-phone or i-pad under $200 will be quite old from software currency perspective. If you spend close to $200, you should be able to get a 2 in 1 when on sales. A 2 in 1 allow you to detach the keyboard so that you can use your chromebook like a tablet instead of a laptop. Unless you travel a lot, typing on a real keyboard is much easier then typing on a tablet using the virtual keyboard.
Thanks so very much for the advice !!!!!

Yes, I hate typing on a screen (that is why I never send a text). I am not going to carry it around like a phone ... just put it on the desk and use it for youtube or a few apps.

I see one or two ... just under $200 ... I will definitely take a good look!

Thanks so very much again !!!!!!!!!

Kwok Yung

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks so very much for the advice !!!!!

Yes, I hate typing on a screen (that is why I never send a text). I am not going to carry it around like a phone ... just put it on the desk and use it for youtube or a few apps.

I see one or two ... just under $200 ... I will definitely take a good look!

Thanks so very much again !!!!!!!!!
Chromebooks are made by many different brands (like Asus, Lenovo, Dell, HP and many more..). Not all of them has Android pre-installed. Some on sale Chromebook may be of older versions which does not support Android apps. The reason I mention Lenovo is only because the one I just purchased was a Lenovo which has Android already pre-installed. I have no relationship with Lenovo and not trying to sale any of their products. Please check with the store to make sure that Android is pre-installed and supported before you buy.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Chromebooks are made by many different brands (like Asus, Lenovo, Dell, HP and many more..). Not all of them has Android pre-installed. Some on sale Chromebook may be of older versions which does not support Android apps. The reason I mention Lenovo is only because the one I just purchased was a Lenovo which has Android already pre-installed. I have no relationship with Lenovo and not trying to sale any of their products. Please check with the store to make sure that Android is pre-installed and supported before you buy.
I am just reading up on chromebook and am a bit confused.

They all seem to say "chrome OS"

So how can they have android installed?

I read something that said if Google store is installed then it will run android apps ?

Thanks again!

Mike

Kwok Yung

Oct 3, 2019
I am just reading up on chromebook and am a bit confused.

They all seem to say "chrome OS"

So how can they have android installed?

I read something that said if Google store is installed then it will run android apps ?

Thanks again!

Mike
Chrome OS is the operating system (OS) running on Chromebooks. That's why they all say Chrome OS. Just like Windows Laptop all has Windows OS running on it. Do a quick Google search on "which chromebook supports android apps", you will get a list of Chromebook from different manufacturers. If you buy from a store in person, you can start the Chromebook to see if Google Play Store is already installed. If it is , then it should run Android apps. Whether you buy online or from store, pick a seller that allows full refund. This way you will get yourself protected.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
Chrome OS is the operating system (OS) running on Chromebooks. That's why they all say Chrome OS. Just like Windows Laptop all has Windows OS running on it. Do a quick Google search on "which chromebook supports android apps", you will get a list of Chromebook from different manufacturers. If you buy from a store in person, you can start the Chromebook to see if Google Play Store is already installed. If it is , then it should run Android apps. Whether you buy online or from store, pick a seller that allows full refund. This way you will get yourself protected.
Thanks so very much again!

I will buy online. I am in rural Vermont ... well all VT is rural as our largest city is only 42,000 ... just cows and horses around me.

Lenovo has several models in my price range.

Thanks again!

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
As Kwong Yung said earlier, we have an Amazon Fire 10 for our grandkids to use. They just don't come with Google Play installed. I had to do some research to figure out how to do it. I was able to do ours, but the one that my daughter has couldn't be.
Ours was cheaper than retail because we got the kids bundle.

On a side note, I'm looking at a new tablet myself, to upgrade.

Good luck in your search.

xtal_01

Sep 12, 2022
As Kwong Yung said earlier, we have an Amazon Fire 10 for our grandkids to use. They just don't come with Google Play installed. I had to do some research to figure out how to do it. I was able to do ours, but the one that my daughter has couldn't be.
Ours was cheaper than retail because we got the kids bundle.

On a side note, I'm looking at a new tablet myself, to upgrade.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks!

As usual, life got in the way. I am working my butt off trying to get a roof on the new shop. We had snow in the area last night!!!!

Plus stupid things like the gas company showing up and saying they are putting a pole right were drive so I won't have access to my back yard ... to protect the meter. This is 200 ft from the road and I have trailers and an RV parked in the backyard ... they didn't care! I had to take time to file a complaint ... a bunch of calls .... still not resolved but at least on hold till next week.

With some luck I will take some time and do more reading this week ...my wife says jut buy one, not worth the time I spend doing all the research.

Thanks again ... Mike