Making Phone Calls and texting on Coby Kyros

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
i tried it, sound is so so but it does work. I have to use an external mic to see how it does.
tnx!

Last edited:

booda3000

Feb 22, 2011
@AeroToxin,
On your computer:
Sign up for an account at Callcentric.com, go to IPKall.com and sign up for an account there too. (Put in your Callcentric info) IPKall will associate a phone number with your Callcentric account.
On your Coby:
Download Google Voice, Google Voice Callback and Csipsimple.
Open Csipsimple and add an account. Scroll down to Callcentric and type in the correct info.
On ur computer, go to Google voice, get a Google Voice phone number, and add the Callcentric number(The number IPKall gave you) under "Forwards Calls To:", then verify it.
On Coby, open Google voice Callback and select the callback number as the Callcentric (IPKall) number.

OF course, you can just start texting with your Google Voice app.

Hope this helps. I'll check this thread on Sunday and answer any questions.

dirty.redz

Mar 30, 2011
Thanx, followed your tutorial, works great, only prob is the in call volume. Csipsimple auto adjusts my in call way to low for some reason. any idea for a fix? Also how about a different dialer since the stock android dialer is inop?

FezzikJr

Apr 20, 2011
Okay... So, I tried posting this once before, but I guess my login timed out on the forum. :-(

First off, GREAT GUIDE! Thanks so much for putting this together. :) Getting a proper IPKall number to forward my GV calls to was a bit of a hassle, but otherwise it all worked well.

Basically, almost everything works, with the exception of outgoing calls. Anytime I try to make an outgoing call, I get some error message, basically saying that the phone number I'm trying to reach is invalid or unavailable or something. When I make an outgoing call, the GVCB app does not initiate (even though it's set to 'Always (when possible). I have a feeling that this is related to not having the stock dialer.apk installed on the tablet (as I don't think it came with it).

Is there something else I'm missing or may have misconfigured, or...?

Thanks in advance!

FezzikJr

Apr 20, 2011
Scratch that... I had tried downloading a few different 'stock' dialer.apk files for 2.1, but none of them had worked. I didn't even think to look in the market for a replacement dialer app. All working now! :)

eulogy69

Mar 15, 2011
ok i got everything setup but when i place a call or pick up a call it turns the media volume to 0 and puts the phone in silent mode and i never hear anything i can hear the tones when i press buttons but nothing elts

csipsimple callcentric google voice callback ect.

Sent from my 7015/7015A HONEYCOMB V10.0-B14L ACADEV using Android Tablet Forum

ricer

Mar 15, 2011
Hi booda3000.
I am very new to Android and tablets plus I am in Canada. So after much searching and difficulty I was able to get a relative who lives in the US to access my Google Voice and obtain a number. Eventually I found Hotspot Shield which allowed me access to my Google voice from Canada. I have followed your instructions by signing up for Callcentric and IPKall and received the associated phone number. I have added the account in csipsimple.went to google voice and listed the number to forward calls to.Tried verifying but Google voice was unable to reach the number and therefore could not verify.Wonder if you can help?Is there a dialer or something that I should download as well or is there something I am missing? What should I expect to see on the Coby when Google tries to verify? Thanks in advance.

brs954

Mar 24, 2011
I have to ask a really dumb question... What calcentric account do you sign up for? there are 2... one is a callcentric to callcentric calling account and the other is a pay as you call account...

dondiego

May 30, 2011
For the easiest way to configure your Android phone to make free calls visit freewifiphonecalls.com. Guaranteed.

chri150

Jun 20, 2011
Wait are they free because on my ipod i have text plus and dont pay a thing and on gmail it says some bull about paying

sweetjones04

May 16, 2011
How do I verify my tablet number with Google Voice? I see the incoming call and I answer the call, but I am unable to enter ID number..

Mischievous

Jul 2, 2011
Hi,

There is any other app besides Google Voice to make calls? Here in Brazil we don't have, yet, Google Voice. Skype should work just fine?

BruceM

Jun 24, 2011
I've been trying this, but have reached a roadblock. I've got Callcentric, IPKall, and my Google Voice account set up to forward to the IPKall number (but I haven't verified it yet). The problem is that I haven't been able to install the Google Voice app. Where do you get it? It doesn't appear to be in AppsLib, Appstore, or Market, at least when accessed from my Coby. When I go to the Market from via my Mac, I can see the GV App, but I can't download it because it says my mobile device is unsupported. So either via the Coby or the Mac it seems to be hiding GV app from me. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to download it.