Market Download/Google Talk Problems

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So just to be clear you have uninstalled apps but they are still showing new updates in your notification bar? If you have wiped the caches to clear any lingering files or processes you have to start from scratch and reinstall the OS.

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
So just to be clear you have uninstalled apps but they are still showing new updates in your notification bar? If you have wiped the caches to clear any lingering files or processes you have to start from scratch and reinstall the OS.

Yeah, I uninstalled and then reinstalled, both from Titanium after wiping, and reinstallation from the Market. In each case, new updates would always show in the notification bar, but would shut down immediately when I attempted to run them. Sure looks like I will be starting from scratch. I will now have to review your writeup on doing so. Thank you.

ASLobao

Aug 21, 2011
I have a similar (to GSutton's) problem: I mistakenly uninstalled Talk.Apk application from my rooted (Auto-nooter 3.0.0) nook Color - no backups, shame on me. I was doing a clening-up and didn't know it was an essential app. Besides, I upgraded my Android Market to version 2.3.4.
Currently, I am able to make in-game purchases but the Android Market only opens, presents the "loading" screen and then goes off. I realized that if I go offline, I get a "retry/cancel" screen, and if then I go online and press "retry", I am able to see again the main screen with the current "trending" applications; but if I change to "My Apps" the simply market goes off again, with no error messages.
I downloaded many versions of Talk.apk and (using RootExplorer and AndroidMate) was able to reinstall TalkProvider.apk and gTalkService.apk, but talk.apk won't install - it simply starts installing and in the end it simply says "application not installed" and no reason for it.
I tried to reinstall the original Market from my backup (I backed up before upgrading do 2.3.4) but it won't install, and presents no error message - just "application not installed" again.
Is there any error log that would provide me any extra information on these failled installations?
Any idea how can I find, and how to reinstall the original Talk.apk and, if not possible to go on with market 2.3.4, return to original one?
Thanks a lot for any advice!

dmeachum

Aug 21, 2011
Can anyone tell me why I cannot download apps from either android marketplace or amazon app store to my recently rooted nook color?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Can anyone tell me why I cannot download apps from either android marketplace or amazon app store to my recently rooted nook color?

Well since you didn't provide a single detail, no. All apps or just certain ones. Are you getting any error messages? What happens when you try to download an app. Did you follow the directions to go into Google Framework and tap clear data?

Edited to add: I just deleted your duplicate post in the Coby Kyros section. Please don't post duplicate threads, especially in totally unrelated forums. Thank you.

Last edited:

ASLobao

Aug 21, 2011
Extra info about my question: I cleared the cache and deleted the data for all Google Apps, including Android Market, ans I'm still not able to install Market (vending.apk) or talk.apk. Any ideas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Help, anyone?

Backup your apps and Data with an app like Titanium Backup and start fresh. Once you have made your backup, you have a few options for restoring your Nook.

1. Flash B&N 1.0.1
2. Flash B&N 1.1
3. Flash B&N 1.2
4. Flash a custom ROM

The first three will require rerooting or the use of a bootable SD (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html)with a custom ROM. The process is pretty sraight forward at this point. Here are threads that will be helpful.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...msd-v3-0-1-0-higher-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...stock-rom-1-1-0-1-2-0-manualnooter-worth.html

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Or you could restore your Nook to stock and get an N2A card to avoid the hassle since you're having so many problems. All you do is pop the card in and you're done. Plus it's dual boot so your warranty stays intact. They are getting rave reviews.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Or you could restore your Nook to stock and get an N2A card to avoid the hassle since you're having so many problems. All you do is pop the card in and you're done. Plus it's dual boot so your warranty stays intact. They are getting rave reviews.

But why buy one when the link to have it free is right there? ;) If he rooted once before and can do the restore then making the bootable SD will be no problem.

JP

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Yes, we like to get our hands dirty here at the nook forum, that's the fun of owning a nook.
Gg

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Android Tablet Forum

ASLobao

Aug 21, 2011
hehe... Thanks for all help; I was looking for a way to avoid the backup/fresh start thing, since I ran into problems when doing this before... I managed to install Google Talk again using an APK backed up from another nook, but it still don't work, so I see no way to avoid this now.