YouTube, Gmail, Talk Problems -- Related to Google Apps Account?

davpel

Feb 23, 2011
I cannot seem to get a stable version of Eclair running on my Nook with the 1.1 firmware. No matter what I do, all of the Google Apps refuse to work. Here's the situation.

1) Stock Nook at 1.0.1. Rooted via AutoNooter. Google apps work. Installed ClockworkMod and flashed the pre-rooted 1.1 rom. Root seems to take fine, but when I open Gmail, it loads for a second and then reverts back to the Nook home screen, as does YouTube. Google Talk refuses to sign in. Tried using TB to clear data, tried fixing permission, no luck. So, I then did the following:

2) Reverted back to Stock Nook. Updated firmware to 1.1. Rooted 1.1 with AutoNooter. Same result . . . all Google apps crash.

Ready to just return the Nook, but want to take one last stab at getting this to work. Any idea what could be causing this? Could the fact that my main Android account is a Google Apps account be contributing to this problem. FYI - I followed the instructions at the link below to set up the rooted Nook with a Google Apps account. Again, these instructions seem to work on rooted 1.0.1, but not on rooted 1.1.

NookColor Using a Google Apps Account - nookDevs

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
So if you are having an issue with the 1.1 update, don't do it. If everything is working just fine as a rooted 1.0.1, leave it there.

You can still install CWR and run OC kernel's and such.

It could be that the MD5 Hash number is not correct when you downloaded the 1.1ROM and the AN3 files.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
agreed, I have heard this issue a few places and haven't seen a common answer yet. My advice would be to restore to 1.0.1 and stay there for now. Or move past 1.1.0 into a Froyo, Gingerbread, or even HC rom. But if you want to stay Eclair, the 1.0.1 is fine. Heck I stayed on 1.0.0 forever!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Try to clear data on "Google Services Framework"
-Open Titanium backup
-Go to backup/restore
-Google Services Framework, wipe data

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
agreed, I have heard this issue a few places and haven't seen a common answer yet. My advice would be to restore to 1.0.1 and stay there for now. Or move past 1.1.0 into a Froyo, Gingerbread, or even HC rom. But if you want to stay Eclair, the 1.0.1 is fine. Heck I stayed on 1.0.0 forever!

and now look at him...giving daily updates on the very latest ROM to hit the NC.

Certainly don't return the NC because your rooting experience has hit a bump or two...Collectively, we can get you through it...heck we have brought people back from 'My NC won't boot, its bricked!'

davpel

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks to all who replied. I'm an experienced at rooting Android phones, but this is my my first week with the Nook. The main reason I wanted to get to 1.1 was b/c of the WiFi issues people apparently were having on the earlier versions.

Regardless, I did some additional tinkering and discovered that the problem also occurs on 1.0.1. I just never experienced it because the issue only surfaces after a reboot, and previously I had gone right from 1.0.1 to 1.1 without ever shutting down. I did, however, figure out the source of the problem. It was, in fact, related to the instructions on NookDevs for users with a Google Apps account as their primary Android account (versus a standard gmail account).

For those who may not know, you cannot associate a Google Apps account with a YouTube account. I know that Google is trying to implement this, but it hasn't happened yet (at least not for me). But the standard root instructions for the Nook require users to complete the process by entering a gmail/youtube linked address. To get around this issue, I could have simply signed up for a new gmail account and linked it to YouTube, but then I would lose the ability to download all of the apps I've already paid for on my Android phone.

So, I followed the instructions for Google Apps users on NooksDevs. The post-root instructions require users to sign-in to YouTube with your GoogleApps account, let the login error (b/c YouTube doesn't recognize Google Apps addresses), open Gmail and let it refresh, then go back into YouTube, logout and then log back in with a regular gmail address. What this does is leave the user with two accounts on the Nook for synching. In fact, in the Nook's gmail client, I can toggle between the two accounts just fine. The problem occurs after a reboot. YouTube will no longer open, I can't sign in to Google Talk, etc. It seems that the Nook can't easily handle/gets confused by the multiple accounts.

What I did to remedy the situation was to ignore the final step on NooksDev and avoided logging back in to YouTube with the alternate email address. This is fine with me, as I never really use a YouTube account anyway -- at least not from my phone.

The only other downside to this process is that, for some reason, whenever I reboot my Nook, it always starts back up on the Android Welcome screen and, thus, asks me to sign-in or create a Google Account. However, the Nook actually still remembers my account information and once I hit the home button on the Nook, I am good to go until the next reboot. This is seemingly a mere annoyance and not a true problem. At least not yet.

Anyways, I hope this helps others in my situation.

David

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Good info David...It seems pretty stupid that you can't use a Gapps account...is there anyway to associate the new gmail account you created with your gapps account so you can just use the gmail account, but still have access to the apps you have previously purchased.

davpel

Feb 23, 2011
From what I've been told, there is no way to transfer the account you used to purchase apps in the Android Market to a different account (Goople Apps or otherwise). I know that Google is trying to transition some of the previously excluded services like YouTube and Google Voice to Apps accounts. However, that option is not yet available -- at least not on my Apps account.

This is one of the most irritating things about Android for me. It makes changing roms on my Evo particularly time-consuming, since I can't just enter information for a single Google account to have everything repopulate. Rather, I have to enter my Google Apps information for the main account and apps, information for a standard Gmail account for Google Voice (which I used for voicemail on my Evo) and then sometimes a third Gmail account for reasons I won't get into hear. Really wish there was the ability to link or combine all of your Google accounts.