MID7024 "Official" and Custom ROMs

cinestuff

Apr 25, 2011
This is not 100% right for this thread, but I'm sure someone here can answer my question. My MID 7024 has become erratic with a lot of apps stopping at startup. It seemed to me that reloading the firmware was as good a place as any to start.

I got it from Coby's site along with the instructions PDF. So far so good.

When, however, as the instruction sheet states, I press the HOME and POWER buttons at once, one of three things happens:

1. I get the previous app screen (like when you press the HOME)

2. The power goes off (like holding down the POWER button

3. Nothing

Did I miss something? How do I get the firmware reload to start? TIA.

Steve H

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Did I miss something? How do I get the firmware reload to start? TIA.

Steve H

Copy the firmware files to a microSD card the insert it in the external slot of the tablet while it's powered off, then turn it on while holding the home button (silver one). Release buttons as soon as you see some text on screen.

Last edited:

cinestuff

Apr 25, 2011
Copy the firmware files to a microSD card the insert it in the external slot of the tablet while it's powered off, then turn it on while holding the home button (silver one). Release buttons as soon as you see some text on screen.

That worked. Thanks - I never would have gotten that from the way their instructions were worded.

Steve

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I am a former FroYo dev for the HTC Desire, so I have some knowledge in Android development. Did want to pass on a few things I noticed, but are so small i can't really even be bothered to care heh~
-Going to 'Voice Input & Output' in 'Settings' asks how to open the menu option (bug present in 1010 cfw as well), should be a simple typo in the Settings.apk, more than likely in a java rc file, possibly xml.

Thanks for the tip!

There was an error in res/xml/settings.xml

This line:
Code:
        <intent android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN" android:targetClass="com.android.settings.VoiceInputOutputSettings" />

Should be:
Code:
        <intent [B]android:targetPackage="com.android.settings"[/B] android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN"  android:targetClass="com.android.settings.VoiceInputOutputSettings"  />

I meant to fix it earlier, but forgot all about it until I noticed the bug today in my alldro2 firmware.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I meant to fix it earlier, but forgot all about it until I noticed the bug today in my alldro2 firmware.

Actually I like the way it works with the bug, I can select some hidden settings like Quick Launch, which is missing in this version of Gingerbread for some reason. I use it to disable the B button.

JuraTin23

Oct 21, 2011
Hey everyone, just wanted to say that you are followed in Croatia also. I installed pro 3.1.1. mod version on my Coby and i worked like a charm but mi HDMI did not respond. Don't know why because i am not very good at all this coding and all. I will bi installing other roms, until my Cobys HDMI starts to work. Thanks for the great work and all the roms!

cheers!

JuraTin23

Oct 21, 2011

JuraTin23

Oct 21, 2011
I have tried it once again and it works ok now.. I think that the wallpaper is just a bit grainy. When I tried to use youtube, browsing and other it worked fine and the picture was great. I will stick to this one until you guys pop up something new.

Thanks Steev

mysecrecy

Feb 25, 2012
I am newbies to this. Currently, my MID7024 would only power up and display "COBY" and went off, leaving only menu button lights on. I've read the forum and noted that this new update may help me to revive my 7024. But after I follow all the instruction within the official PDF, my MID7024 seems to be updating, but halted.. Following is the screen that it has stay on for hours without any progress

Update bootloader...
Done
Update kernel...
Done
Update recovery...
Done
Update logo...
Done
Update File System...

Then the 7024 just stay as such for hours. Initially I thought the update will take long time, but even after 24 hours staying on also the same. I figured there must be something wrong. Can any good samaritans help me??

allright every model now has an official firmware out let the modding begin.

here is the link for the new official rom
http://www.cobyusa.com/files/software/MID7024-Firmware.zip

the guid i had on here still had good information on rom modding in general so i will repost it in the thread

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
did u try to reformat your microsd? and theres a custom rom here for 7024, if u like u can try it. but before u try the custom rom, try to reformat your microsd and then download the original firmware from coby and install it again. maybe you've got a corrupted rom.

here look at the downloads column:
Kyros™ Internet 7" Touchscreen Tablet | COBY

Last edited:

mysecrecy

Feb 25, 2012
Hi mharckk
Yes, I've performed Quick Format from Windows on the External MicroSD that I've just bought (brand new). Upon copying all 13 files from the 7024 Firmware content to MicroSD, I eject it out and insert it into MID7024. Then I press Power On + Menu (Silver Button) together, and the result is as specified above. I've even tried the custom rom and result is still the same. Do I need to pry open the MID7024 and remove the internal MicroSD first before the whole upgrade and revive thingy could work?

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Hi, try reformatting your microsd using sdformatter from sdcard.org, I had the same problem before using windows formatter.

mysecrecy

Feb 25, 2012
Hi JenLou, I've tried using sdformatter with various different kind of formatting condition, such as Quick Format, Full Erase Format, Full Overwrite Format, etc and all with no avail. It still progress till Update file system... and stay on there forever. Is there anything else I could do to revive my Coby Kyros MID7024?? Please help

Hi, try reformatting your microsd using sdformatter from sdcard.org, I had the same problem before using windows formatter.