Minimalist ROM Based On Android 3.2

allo

Mar 29, 2011
Dear friends,

How to reduce the system.img by means of removal of the unnecessary built-in applications?
I would like to increase memory for user programs.

Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Three ways to go about this, in order from easiest to most difficult, and safest to most dangerous.
  1. Go to Settings > Apps, select the offending app, and if the option exists, disable the app.
  2. Root, then delete the apps you don't want with a file manager that has root capability.
  3. Decompress the system image on your PC's hard drive, delete the files, then compress the entire bundle into a system.img.

allo

Mar 29, 2011
Thank you.
As I understand it, the first two ways do not increase user programs memory?
How and by what programs for PC to do a third way?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Umm, yes they do. With option 1, if an app isn't running, it isn't consuming memory, meaning more apps can run in the available memory. With option 2, the app isn't present, thus it isn't consuming memory, meaning more apps can run in the available memory. Option 3 is like option 2, except you're doing it on the computer.

Now, if you're looking to decrease the size of the /system partition and give the available space to the /data partition so you can install more apps, forget it. There are very few people I am aware of who can manage such a feat. Not to mention it's impossible to do without sources. Android 3.2 was never released under an open-source license, therefore neither Google nor the manufacturers were required to release their sources.