Any rumors on 3.2...

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
New England 10:15am and no update...
In regards to the android naming scheme, I like it. as said, it givens them personality. The only thing that bothers me is, Google's a little inconsistant lately as to which versions of android get a unique name. For instance, versions 2.0 and 2.1 were both named Clair, but 2.2 is named Froyo while 2.3 is named Gingerbread. All version 3.x are named Honeycomb while the upcoming 4.0 will be ICS. I know its a little OCD to be irked by this, but still.

Ahhhh well, I love my androids, Froyo and Honeycomb.1 both!

nelgrek

Aug 16, 2011
All version 3.x are named Honeycomb while the upcoming 4.0 will be ICS. I know its a little OCD to be irked by this, but still.

Ahhhh well, I love my androids, Froyo and Honeycomb.1 both!

So, any rumors about the upcoming Android 4.0? What're new features would be added?

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
So, any rumors about the upcoming Android 4.0? What're new features would be added?

One of the big, core things with 4.0 is suppose to be integration of phone and tablet OS. Tablets became popular (thanks to I pad) and google wanted to compete, but the android 2.x OS were designed with smart phones in mind, not large tablets. Therefore, google hacked together the 3.x OS. Honeycomb has two issues though... Its not designed for smartphone and, even more to the point, its really only a series of patches over froyo and gingerbread (which is one of the reasons google didn't release the source to honeycomb). ICS on the other and has BOTH phone and tablet as its design goal, once again merging tablet and smartphone android OS.

As for the rest of ICS goodness, I think its still a ways out to know much of the details.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Really only a series of patches???

You sound like you were expecting a ground up rewrite or something.

Android itself is "really only a series of patches" to linux.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Really only a series of patches???

You sound like you were expecting a ground up rewrite or something.

Android itself is "really only a series of patches" to linux.

From a particular point of view, yeah, android is "a series of patches" over Linux... if you consider the complete removal and replacement of the x windows system and bootloader a simple patch. Android is as much a patch over Linux as OSX is a patch over Unix.

Now, my meaning when I say Honeycomb is only a series of patches over Froyo/Gingerbread is, while both Froyo, gingerbread and, I dead, all previous incarnations of android, have their own maintained full source tree, Honeycomb does not. Honeycomb is the Gingerbread source tree "with patches". ICS is more along the lines of Froyo and Gingerbread in that it will have (does have?) its own fully maintained source tree.

nelgrek

Aug 16, 2011
ICS is more along the lines of Froyo and Gingerbread in that it will have (does have?) its own fully maintained source tree.
If so, that would be a great improvement. Though Honeycomb is designed for tablet, I don't think the OS has particular tablet PC features. So, I do hope the comex would be capable to handle business multitasks.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Acer posted on facebook last night (my time) 3.2 would begin rolling out mid Sep at selected locations/regions

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
I can see the next release now.. 4.0 Android Jellybean! As for 'Longhorn'.. Do you think Bill was trying to overcompensate for some insecurity?

based on the most recent rumors that have surfaced it looks like you were right on the mark with Jelly Bean!

sogaussie

Sep 10, 2011
I received a update today.I did a master reset I was having problems with my SD card not saving after reboot.The update fixed the problem all data saving to SD card now.EC version 21010400.
FLEX Version 40_COM_GEN1.Still saying version 3.1.There must have been some nice fixes in the last update also showing flash drive data as well.The internal storage or if you like total space interface has changed as well now showing applications downloads picture videos audio(music,ringtones,podcasts,ect,misc,available space.To add the Kernel Version is 2.6.36.3.Build number Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011
Try updating again. My 3.2 came through not long ago, and I'm now at build Acer_A500_7.004.03_COM_GEN1