Any rumors on 3.2...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Why would you jump to that conclusion?

3.2 is not Icecream, its just an upgrade with bug fixes to Honeycomb.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
You'll have to forgive me. I was amazed when my droid x2 went from froyo to gingerbread. I have a friend that works for Motorola who said they were rather irritated that Google makes them push all the verisons through the product lines. I guess at some point my phone will be on homeycomb ( or that's how we understood it). I may just be completely misunderstanding all this.

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
A little snippet as to Ice cream Sandwich............and its features, and as ice bike said 3.2 is not ice cream sandwich !
[h=4]Google Ice Cream Sandwich coming in Q4 2011 to smartphones and tablets alike[/h]
One OS that runs everywhere." There you have it, folks! Google intends to meld its Honeycomb tablet wares and Gingerbread smartphone software into one delicious Ice Cream Sandwich. Maybe that's why the "sandwich" bit is in the name, eh? Either way, it'll be a universal OS that runs on everything from teeny tiny Android phones to 10-inch tablets and will intelligently adapt to each form factor with things like a resizable status bar. Some other fancy new additions were demonstrated during Google's I/O 2011 keynote, including face-tracking and camera focus shifting based on voice recognition, but most of the salient details remain under lock and key for now. We'll be sure to dig around Mountain View campus fridges in search for more clues about the next major iteration of Android.

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011
Ice Cream Sandwich?? And I thought Microsoft had the monopoly on coming up with ridiculous nicknames for OS's - anyone remember Longhorn or Itanium? I admit it... I LOL'd for ages at the oxymoron that would have been 'Microsoft Longhorn'. :D

Brian

HD87

May 14, 2011
Ice Cream Sandwich?? And I thought Microsoft had the monopoly on coming up with ridiculous nicknames for OS's - anyone remember Longhorn or Itanium? I admit it... I LOL'd for ages at the oxymoron that would have been 'Microsoft Longhorn'. :D

Brian
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo (frozen yogurt), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwhich,
what do they all have in common?
They are continued in alphabetical order & are desserts. :D

Last edited:

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo (frozen yogurt), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwhich,

I just wish they'd stick with numbers. I know for a fact that 3.1 is a later version than 2.0. But I can never seem to remember the order of the desserts! And besides ... won't they run out of dessert nicknames after a while? :D

Brian64

Aug 20, 2011

Jesus... so we can look forward to 'Jam Tart' or something next year?

I hope they decide to change their naming system before too long.. I'm not sure I could cope with 'Android Muffin'... ;)

HarshReality

Jun 19, 2011

Brian

I can see the next release now.. 4.0 Android Jellybean! As for 'Longhorn'.. Do you think Bill was trying to overcompensate for some insecurity?

Last edited:

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
JellyRoll..roll it out! :D I'm quite pleased with the 3.2 on my A100...it seems a bit snappier and more stable than 3.1 on the A500..but it could be perception. :)

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I hope they decide to change their naming system before too long.. I'm not sure I could cope with 'Android Muffin'... ;)

The naming convention is very Linux-esque, which is completely appropriate since Android is Linux based. Ubuntu does something similar, naming their releases after animals. The last few releases were Intrepid Ibex, Jaunty Jackalope, Karmic Koala, Lucid Lynx, Maverick Meerkat and the current one is Natty Narwhal. I like it...it gives the releases personality that they wouldn't have if they were named something like, say, Windows 98 :)

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
On my facebook page this morning

[h=6]"dear fans, we understand that you are anxious to update your Acer Iconia Tab A500 to the latest 3.2 version. as mentioned earlier, the update will be rolled out on the 25th August 2011 but we are not sure of the roll-out time so it will be anytime of the day ~ pls be patient ~ cheers ! :)"[/h]Roll on !!!!