"[MOD] Youtube 'Gingerbread' ported to Eclair" thanks to rolle3k

npmt

Dec 6, 2010
This is taken from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=817528

it will work with 2.0/2.1

Here are the step.
1) Use Root Explorer to delete system/app/youtube.apk (backup the file just in case)
2) Go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications and uninstall com.google.youtube
3) Install the signed_YouTube.apk from link above (click it through Astro or File Manager)

PROs:
>> Portrait and Landscape mode (I always wanted Portrait mode)
>> In Portrait mode, Info/Related Videos/Comments and Playing Video can be seen on same screen (In other words, a lot of function can be accessed without needing to go to a different screens)
CONs:
>> Nothing yet (Too excited to share, so didnt have time to try everything out)
>> Youtube links, when click in browsers or others apps will not work. Receive force close prompt.

Note:
>> I am not taking credits for file
>> Do not delete data/data and data/dalvik-cache (as suggested from one of the user in the link) It will prompts lots of Force Close on many programs, my guessed was deleting data/data was the caused. Anyway, delete those folders are not needed
>> You need to enable R/W once in Root Explorer to delete files, Root Explorer required root (can root Universal Androot)
>> There are other ways to do this, this was the simplest for me
>> Use Titanium Backup to back up everything, that way you can revert if making mistakes (That's what I did when I deleted data/data and data/dalvik-cache

Last edited:

ScooterG

Dec 19, 2010
I can not get com.google.youtube to uninstall. Any advise?

I couldn't uninstall it either. I just moved the old file out, put the new one in, renamed if to youtube.apk, clicked it to install and it works fine.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App