Music player crashes in shuffle play on Archos 70 250GB, and other issues

siyoung72

May 10, 2011
Hi there,

Resorting to this forum after no joy from tech support at Archos.

Initial fab impressions of Archos 70 bought a couple of weeks ago have been dampened by the pre-loaded music player, which looks great, but seems to crash after no more than 3 or 4 tracks when playing all my music files in shuffle mode, so that you can't re-access music files until re-booting, then the same thing happens again and again.

I read elsewhere that it may be a prob with the latest firmware, (2.3.26, with android 2.2.1), tho I may have mis-understood. Whatever, I called tech support, who hadn't encountered the prob, but suggested I could try rolling back to 2.3.20, which I could do by manually changing the link in the download section of the archos website. Managed to do so, but it didn't make any difference.

I've tried repairing the multimedia library in Repair and Formatting, but still no joy.

This is most frustrating, since I get most enjoyment from listening to my music files (around 3700 tracks) in random mode. I don't think this happens if I play tracks in standard mode, and it doesn't happen if I skip through tracks (jump to the next track) in random mode, so I don't think it's that any media file is corrupted or anything.

I'm wondering whether I should download another music player from the apslibrary... can anyone recommend one that has as nice an interface as the archos installed player (ie, show album art, with ability to scroll thru album covers, set up playlists etc)?

Actually, I've also read about installing Google's Market, tho wouldn't have a clue how to. Tried to get onto the market to download stuff, and it wouldn't let me as my google account didn't have the archos 70 assigned to it, and can't see a way of doing so.

While I'm here, does anyone have issues with the TV out? I'm connecting to the HDMI port on a Samsung big TV, but the mouse pad which the Archos now becomes, seems very unresponsive and I can't seem to scroll through media files beyond what's on the screen (ie, get to the files further down the list).

And speaking of TV, has anyone had any joy with setting up BBC iPlayer on the Archos 70? It apparently requires Flash 10, but according to Archos tech support, they're still negotiating with Adobe to get the license for it, but should be available in an upcoming firmware. But if anyone can point me in the right direction for getting it before then, be much appreciated.

Sorry for so many questions... wish Archos would iron things out before the release buggy stuff before moving on too quickly to the next generation of flakey gear!!

Thanks for any replies

Si

TIG

May 18, 2011
sorry to jump on your thread but i too have had similar problems with the stock music player, it says files not surported even though they played OK the week before, the Archos also lost the photos in the gallery app. i later found the the photos and the wma music files files the files folder. I believe the probs are due to the update to .36. like you a rolled back to previous firmware .30 and have repaired the multi media library. I can play one track at a time instead of consecutively which is useless.

I have since carried out a full reinitialiation but have the same problem. If anyone knows how I can go back to using the stock players for music and photos I'd be grateful. @ siyoung 72 - there is an apk for marketplace, just google it and follow instructions. its very easy to do and itwill give you access to most apps in the market. world war from storm 8 has however stopped working, i guess it could be related to the above although i don't understand how.

siyoung72

May 10, 2011
sorry to jump on your thread but i too have had similar problems with the stock music player, it says files not surported even though they played OK the week before, the Archos also lost the photos in the gallery app. i later found the the photos and the wma music files files the files folder. I believe the probs are due to the update to .36. like you a rolled back to previous firmware .30 and have repaired the multi media library. I can play one track at a time instead of consecutively which is useless.

I have since carried out a full reinitialiation but have the same problem. If anyone knows how I can go back to using the stock players for music and photos I'd be grateful. @ siyoung 72 - there is an apk for marketplace, just google it and follow instructions. its very easy to do and itwill give you access to most apps in the market. world war from storm 8 has however stopped working, i guess it could be related to the above although i don't understand how.

Hi Tig and thanks for the feedback... still none the wiser about the problem, but obviously I'm far from the only one experiencing it and Archos have so far failed to return my support query, despite their web-site promise to do so within two working days.

I ended up installing real player from the aps library, which seems to be more stable, but it did crash after about 6 or 7 tunes.

Can you give me any kind of link for the market apk... I googled it, but only came up with a site that seemed to be a file sharing site based in Saudi Arabia?? that required credit card details and would automatically switch from being a free trial to full member with monthly payments after 14 days. I don't trust those sort of sites, so if anyone can let me know of a more trust-worthy source, that would be fab. And again, if anyone has a working media player that can play in shuffle mode, and preferably display album artwork (which real player doesn't appear to), I'd be much obliged.

Thanks

Si

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have a few quick questions which might help diagnose the problem
What is the format of the songs?
What is the bitrate?
What was the Frequency used?
What did you use to rip, or what was the source of your songs?

On the HDMI, it can be dance of finding the right matching output for your TV and the HDMI. It works fine on my Sony, but is hit or miss on my Samsung. No idea why/
I have the 101/16 and have not experienced the problems you have I actually found it the player to be fairly stable. I am using MP3/192bit/48Mhz I have found VBR MP3s seem to have issues in general with Archos, so that may be the problem.

Do a search on the forum for gappsinstaller_v5 or v4. there are other Android Market installers. Even on the built in AppsLib is a free app for Market installer. You do not need to register for free apps just cancel.

siyoung72

May 10, 2011
Hi gurgle and thanks for your input... the files are from an assortment of sources and formats/bit rates, though as far as I'm aware, none are VBR, mainly mp3 at 192kbs or WMA @ 128, but also a few WAVs and some MP3 at 96 or 128kbs. When you say what frequency, are you talking 44.1KHz or 48Khz, cos as it's all mainly ripped CDs, downloads and my own music, it's all 44.1 (I thought 48 was for DVD audio only, but that's KHz, not MHz, or am I missing the point?)

For ripping CD's it was all done on Windows Media Player. Downloads are from eMusic or Amazon. My own music from a Fraunhofer IIS layer-3 codec pro MPEG encoder on Soundscape hard disc recorder (though sure that my files are not the ones that cause the player to stumble).

Thanks for the market installer tip.

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
this is why im sending mine back ARCHOS told me they will repair or replace my unit because of this issue and it only happened after the update. and it sounds like you had the exact problem i was having