My Brand New Xoom - SD Card Melted

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
My wife bought me a Xoom for our anniversary on Wednesday and gave it to me on Thursday morning. I was very grateful. Pulled it out of the box, charged it and the OS update notification popped up so I installed it. After the update I put an 8 GB micro-SD card in the slot. It immediately heated up and started smoking. The SD card actually melted and fused to the Xoom. It even got hot enough to distort the SD card slot cover on the Xoom. After that it was stuck on the boot screen.

I took it back to Best Buy and showed them what happened. They gave me absolutely no problems with exchanging for a new one...although I did have to buck up and buy a new SD card. The computer people at Best Buy were amazed at how the card was melted in the SD card slot.

Just wanted to pass my experience along.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Makes you wonder, was it a bad tablet or a bad card? Either way, I'm glad you got it replaced without a hassle.:)

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
I does make me wonder a tad bit. The SD card was one that I've used in multiple devices but nothing says that it didn't "go bad" somehow. On the other hand the Xoom was a new and unknown variable. There could have been some contamination at the contacts and it shorted out.

In any case it was a hassle free exchange and I'm giving two thumbs up to Best Buy for taking care of me. I'm very pleased with my Xoom so far. It's WAY better than my wife's Nook Color that we were using for various activities including e-books.

bdholsin

Jan 18, 2011
Ha ha ha, seems I struck a nerve. :p That was not my intention. It's just that the Xoom was actually made to do the things that we've been asking the NC to do. I did root the NC when we first got it and it didn't like that. Now that I have the Xoom my wife, who absolutely hates technology, is saying, "Hey, this is pretty nice". Well, duuuhhhh honey. Dual core processor, more memory, etc. I expect nothing less than satisfaction.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Any time your wife says "Hey, this is pretty nice" in stead of "Why did you buy that?" you've got a winner. Congratulations on the new tablet and the understanding wife.:)