My experience setting up my new Nook Color

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
thanks Jack, I guess as soon as I load the new software I should use these instructions to root the NC?
How to root Nook Color 1.0.1 using Auto-Nooter « Review Horizon

It is the only one I have found that seems to be simple. I am not very tech savy as far as changing programing codes and manipulating systems. I have been looking for the safest and easiest way to do this...kinda a "Nook Color Rooting For Dummies"

I have been reading this thread and some of the discussion I understand and some of it I don't, I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I take the leap

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
is there any increase in battery life from rooting the NC? or is that what 1.0.1 is also suppose to do. This is the only downsize I have with this device....8 hours runtime is not ideal.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
is there any increase in battery life from rooting the NC? or is that what 1.0.1 is also suppose to do. This is the only downsize I have with this device....8 hours runtime is not ideal.
Nope, no increase in battery life. A few weeks ago--as news leaked that B&N will upgrade the operating system to Android 2.2 (Froyo) in the "near" future--improving battery life was something that was mentioned. But it's not in the immediate future.

It's kind of important what you're comparing the NC to when you look at 8 hours (is that your use, btw, or are you relying on the spec sheet?). I'm curious if you have a smart phone? For most Android phones, charging every day is a necessity. With the original Droid, which I own for example, steady use (games, browsing, GPS) will run the phone down in 4-5 hours.

Of course some people are comparing the NC to an eInk reader (e.g., original Nook or Kindle), which is not a good comparison. The display technology is totally different: eInk only uses power on "page turns" and otherwise uses almost none once the current page is displayed. Color LCDs like the NC, on the other hand, have much more active processors (small computer) and use large amounts of power to drive the screen. So the NC has a larger battery, and weighs considerably more than previous Nook. :(

As far as rooting, the primary use (I assume) is to modify the system: personalize the homescreen, install apps, and use it like an Android tablet! I'll predict that in 1-2 months we'll have a modified kernel--which regulates the speed of the processor--and will allow rooted users to decide how fast/slow they want the NC to run. For example, I underclock my Droid while the screen is off, which DOES increase battery life (see, you were right!). :p

-Matt

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
My Christmas present to you guys. Its not much, but the least I could do for all your help. Yeah - its just a screenshot of my NC - sorry I didn't have time to wrap it :)

$NCScreen.png

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Wow, have you been busy!

But what's this "you guys" stuff??? YOU answered a question...you helped a newbie. Now you're one of us. :p

Have a great XMAS, and thanks for the screenshot!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@JackOnan

Nice pic. What version weather channel app do you have?

Merry Christmas to all.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablet Forum App

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
thanks Jack, I guess as soon as I load the new software I should use these instructions to root the NC?
How to root Nook Color 1.0.1 using Auto-Nooter « Review Horizon

It is the only one I have found that seems to be simple. I am not very tech savy as far as changing programing codes and manipulating systems. I have been looking for the safest and easiest way to do this...kinda a "Nook Color Rooting For Dummies"

I have been reading this thread and some of the discussion I understand and some of it I don't, I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I take the leap

That should work fine. Those instructions are very similar, if not the same, as the ones from nookdevs.

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
I am having problems trying to get the root to work

1. I am using a 4gb sd card...already formatted...computer recognizes it and what it is in.
2. downloaded autonooter 2.12.18.img
3. downloaded winImage
4. on winImage File; Open; selected autonooter; verified files, closed image, DISK, selected "I" drive, DISK, selected "restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive...
There is nothing in this window, I am suppose to at least see my sd card...but it is blank

HELP!

Thanks
Rob

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I am having problems trying to get the root to work

1. I am using a 4gb sd card...already formatted...computer recognizes it and what it is in.
2. downloaded autonooter 2.12.18.img
3. downloaded winImage
4. on winImage File; Open; selected autonooter; verified files, closed image, DISK, selected "I" drive, DISK, selected "restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive...
There is nothing in this window, I am suppose to at least see my sd card...but it is blank

HELP!

Thanks
Rob

Doing most everything right except, open winImage "run as administrator". If you open the program normally, it won't see your sd card.

See here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olor-software-update-1-0-1-a-2.html#post24111

Merry Christmas!

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
Rico,
Merry Christmas!

Thank you it worked out! Now I have another question....my first act was to of course go to the market and download angry birds, I played it for a while, but after I did I have not seen the icon anywhere I have looked. Is there a default location that the market will place the items you download?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Now I have another question....my first act was to of course go to the market and download angry birds, I played it for a while, but after I did I have not seen the icon anywhere I have looked. Is there a default location that the market will place the items you download?
Probably an easy fix for this! First, are you using a launcher (with an app tray) or are you looking for the program by using the B&N "Extras" button? If you're looking under Extras, I've noticed that newly downloaded apps sometimes down show up there until after you reboot. But if you're using a homescreen launcher like Zeam or ADW, it will typically be there right after installing.

Oh, I might also note that two things have been updated at nookDevs (http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting):

(1) There's a new version of the autonooter file, for the 1.0.1 firmware: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip

(2) There's a nice alternative for writing the img to SD card (that works very easily): https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Win32DiskImager

-Matt

pez

Dec 25, 2010
Hey all,

I've been lurking the forums here since Wednesday and you all have been a big help
rooting and getting the market up!!! I rooted my girlfriends nc before xmas so she
would have all her fav iphone apps(or close to) on her nook, everything been a great
success but I just realized that the stock android contacts, calendar app aren't there. I
know the nc orig ui has a contacts app but it is pretty much worthless, anyone know how to install
them?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Great question, I've been wondering the same thing. I noticed today after starting over from scratch and doing the autonooter that there's a calendar app. Was that stock NC, or did it come with the other Google Experience apps? I think it came with Gmail, Maps, etc., but not sure. In any case, I'll stay on the lookout for a solution that gets Calendar and Contacts working like it does on my phone!

-Matt