My thoughts on the Motorola Xoom - The Game Changer

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Source: From my personal website: TheXoomTablet

If I left anything out, or said something incorrectly I apologize... and kindly tell me :)

The Motorola Xoom is definitely going to be a game changer. Yes, there has been decent competition against the iPad such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but never has a tablet completely blown the iPad out of the water in regards to all the hardware and software features that it uses. I am going to list 10 features that the Motorola Xoom has that either the iPad does not, or the Xoom’s features are simply so much better. Kindly note, I am also going to create a video explaining this which I will be uploading to YouTube on our new YouTube account very soon.

Under the Hood
For starters the Xoom tablet will be released with the most advanced dual-core processor available on the market for any tablet. It comes with a dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 1GHz processor. This is an awesome piece of hardware, but the Xoom does not stop here. Instead of only 256MB RAM that the iPad has, or even 512MB RAM that the Samsung Galaxy has the Motorola Xoom will have 1GB RAM. This right here, along with it’s dual-core power house, is a game changer. Could you imagine back in 2000, having a touch screen tablet that would be quicker than the normal laptop at the time? With this much processing power and memory, you will be able to treat this tablet just like a normal computer. You could easily purchase this tablet, hook up a USB keyboard and use this as your main desktop computer. Plus with its 10.1″ multi-touch capacitive screen, it will look just as good as your regular LCD monitor.

It’s about the Display
The 680×800 resolution for tablets is going to be a thing of the past. Enter the age of 1280 x 800 pixel resolution. This is exactly what the Motorola comes with. This truly makes the Xoom enter the desktop world of pixel resolution, and again, is a big time game changer. You will now be able to play games at full HD pixel resolution, without any hiccups and slow downs. This resolution will allow the Xoom to become a full gaming tablet.

Camera; no.. 2 Cameras
A big rage right now in telecommunication (especially in wireless telecommunication) is video conferencing. The Xoom tablet proudly announced that it will come with a 5MP front facing camera and a 2MP rear facing camera. This will allow the consumer to use video conferencing, and other apps that use this new technology. Plus the front facing camera comes with auto focus, and the ability for digital zoom. This means the Xoom will have one of the most advanced rear facing and front facing cameras on the market as of January 2011.

Video Calling is enabled
To further utilize the Xoom’s two camera’s, Xoom users will also be able to Video call features. For the 3G/4G Xoom versions video calling will be a reality with other 3G/4G compatible phones and tablets. This will be a great feature, especially for Verizon phones/tablets, as you will be able to video call with your friends and family for free!

Flash this!
Due to running Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) and having a beefy 1GB RAM, the Xoom just won’t be able to run flash… it will run flash flawlessly. During numerous demo’s that have been showed to a wide array of audiences, flash runs perfectly on the Motorola Xoom. This will allow a Xoom user to play flash video, and be able to play flash games. Flash games such as: Farmville, Cityville will run on the Motorola Xoom without any problems.

Where are you; GPS
A very sought after feature in newer tablets is having GPS installed. GPS is a feature as Google Navigator (Google Maps 5) extensively runs on your most updated GPS position. Therefore the Xoom tablet turns itself into a GPS locating device, that will allow people to navigate anywhere in the world. Plus with Google’s voice recognition, this tablet can turn into a “turn by turn” navigation unit.

Bluetooth sync
The Motorola Xoom comes with bluetooth connectivity. Therefore you will be able to stream connections from any bluetooth devices including: other tablets, other phones, wireless headphones, wireless connections, and so much more. Plus with bluetooh printers coming out, Xoom users will be able to print wirelessly. You will be able to print out an HD picture you took with your Xoom wireless to your HD printer. This can all be done with a single touch of your finger.

USB… but not just Micro USB
All windows fans rejoice at once as the Motorola Xoom will not only come with a USB micro port, but with also at least 1 USB port. This will allow you to sync of your USB devices, plus allow you to use a USB mouse, USB keyboard, and other USB devices. Xoom users will also be able to attach external USB hard drives, if they choose so.

HDMI – High Definition
The Xoom will come with an HDMI port so you can display HDMI videos and pictures from your Xoom to your television. Although this isn’t the newest feature to hit tablets, it is a feature that the current iPad does not have.​

Last edited:

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
First I'll will be getting the xoom. Second of course this is better than any other tablet including the ipad, the xoom is a major step in tablet technology.

I just hope it comes out soon before news of ipad2 comes out

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I will be getting a Motorola Xoom probably in late April... I should have the money by then :p

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I don't really see how it's really a game changer in terms of the hardware. What is the game changer is the Android under the hood. It's basically the typical Tegra 2 goods. I hate 3G lock in. I hope a wifi only version will be affordable.

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I was talking with someone yesterday that thought the price for this tablet could be $699-$799. That could be a deal breaker for most. I'm hoping they keep it around the $499-$599 price range. What could also make it a gamer changer is the amount of advertising dollars Motorola puts behind this product. If they push it hard like the Motorola Droid line up of phones, they'll have a winner on their hands for sure.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
$699-$799... eeckk... horrible idea IMHO. That is way too expensive, and I don't think it will be a hit if it's that high. You have to compete against the iPad2 not with it.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
If they want to ship 800,000 units in Q1 it can't be $700 - 800, especially since it isn't 4g and you would most likely have to pay for hardware upgrade. However I can't wait for their next announcement.

Sent from my Htc Desire using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
hmm......my only real concern with this has nothing to do with the OS....the hardware....the capability to run flash....any of the various other capabilities....

no. my concern is how to not have the wife brain me when I tell her I am getting yet ANOTHER tablet....

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Better earn some brownie points quickly!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
My wife already said that I can buy it... if I can come up with the extra money... hence extra. So looks like i'll be selling some tablets, and doing some side jobs... lol

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
If I find a way to convince myself to shell out 800 bucks for this thing, I'll brain myself and save the wife the trouble.

creekfella

Jul 5, 2011
After much thought and , finally, deciding against a Samsung Galaxy S II, I purchased a WiFi/3G Zoom on 7th June last. It did everything it claimed and the only negative point was that it was quite bulky and my hand ached after a few hours - I could not but it down! Compared to my experience with PC OS it was a bit strange at first but I soon got familiar with the options and started using the gmail, audio and video facilities. Pleased that it offered Flash that is not available on the iPad2.
Imagine my horror and disappointment when after a week the touch pad became increasingly sluggish and finally gave up completely! The light facility on the back came on and could not be turned off. Neither could I turn off the tablet. I had a 14 day return facility so I did just that as I was not confident enough to accept a replacement.
Was I just unlucky? Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Zoom? I may be prepared to try again but I am worried about the Tablet reliability.
Comments welcomed.