NC News: Nook Color software update 1.0.1

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Barnes & Noble is providing a minor update to NOOKcolor firmware that will improve NOOKcolor's Wi-Fi connectivity and browser experience (such as being able to easily toggle between desktop and mobile mode). The software update is available immediately via a manual download here and will also be delivered via an automatic download for devices connected to Wi-Fi®, over the next few days
Software Updates - Barnes*&*Noble

hmm I wonder what else this update does besides wifi performance improvement.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I think I'll manually install it and see what happens. :)

Big file: Sideload_update.zip 161 mb

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Me too. Plus, I think they're trying to break root!!! OK, I don't know that...but that's what they always say with Droid updates.

-Matt

Yup... This is why I can't wait for custom roms to be developed.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well my NC is perfect and exactly where I want it but I woke up this morning and I feel more adventurous. Since many people seem to have questions on newer rooting methods, auto nooters, apps, market, factory resets, etc., I guess I need to get experience on anything and everything pertaining to the NC development. So against my better judgement, I'm going to back up my whole NC, wipe it, go all the way back to stock, install the new NC update, re-root using the the "auto nooter" so I get get more experience and answer people's questions better.

What else do I have to do today besides watch the Giants/Eagles game. :)

Update: Came to my senses and changed my mind. There is issues with complete wiping so I'm holding off.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well my NC is perfect and exactly where I want it but I woke up this morning and I feel more adventurous. Since many people seem to have questions on newer rooting methods, auto nooters, apps, market, factory resets, etc., I guess I need to get experience on anything and everything pertaining to the NC development. So against my better judgement, I'm going to back up my whole NC, wipe it, go all the way back to stock, install the new NC update, re-root using the the "auto nooter" so I get get more experience and answer people's questions better.

What else do I have to do today besides watch the Giants/Eagles game. :)

Update: Came to my senses and changed my mind. There is issues with complete wiping so I'm holding off.
You know, you're why I love this forum so much...atm anyway. :p What a hilarious post.

Really, don't sweat it. I know exactly what you mean...I was threatening for days to go back to stock, but haven't yet. The funny thing is FINALLY my wife is on the couch (OK everyone, not what you're thinking!) with the "practice" NC in her hands, reading a book. Hopefully she'll enjoy it. (I did notice that she started out holding it "in air" but after 5 minutes it was down, on her lap.) Really, I may end up slitting my wrists if she says "Oh, that was nice. But I think I prefer my old Sony eReader." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hopefully she'll prefer the NC, and I'll get to continue improving it.

So yeah, anyway. One day at a time!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update: well without my knowledge my NC updated itself to 1.0.1.

So far:
-lost root
-can still get to apps list
-most apps now won't work
-zeam launch not working
-angry birds still works so it's all good :)

Well I'm going to attempt to manually root again, not too crazy about wiping and the auto nooter.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Wow, I''m STUNNED! Let me take a look at mine...

...no change...yet...

Angry Birds...???... I couldn't decide if you posted that video on the rooted NC just to yank my chain. But obviously you're not that kind of guy!

Please post back your adventures/experiences re-rooting, etc.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Crap Astro not working. Well I have some work to do now on the NC. Hopefully the old root method will still work, I don't see why not. I need to get another cd card since I have too much on my 8gb card and don't want to wipe it away. I'm not too upset though, updates are bound to come and I backup all my apps anyway.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Don't know why I've had my Droid for a year, and never tried Titanium (free)...been using Astro's backup utility. I've got Titanium on the NC, and afaik it's backing up my apps to sd nightly. I haven't tried restoring yet, but hopefully it will be as easy as I think it is!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Another thought: we knew the update would come OTA, but...how...?

I mean: you got your phone from Sprint, me from Verizon. When we get OTAs, our carrier is the one that releases them. The carrier has the handset IDs, and we know that the handsets phone home (literally) from time to time. So there is a logical relationship between the phone and the communications company that sold it to us.

OK, I realize that by registering our devices with B&N that more or less the same infrastructure is created. It just feels a little strange to me that B&N is doing things the same way. I guess if you said "B&N isn't doing it. They've licensed a third-party to do it. Gave them all the device info, and said 'Have at it!'" I'd have to agree that sounded reasonable.

I dunno...just a random rant I guess...

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update: The manual root method using the nooter0.2zip didn't work after my NC updated to 1.0.1. Looks like I will have to factory reset my NC.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update:
-Performed factory reset
-Erased and de-registered
-Flashed back to 1.0.0
-Set up and re-registered
-manually installed update 1.0.1

I'm now going to try one last time the manual root method.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update: Success!!!

-I successfully re-rooted my NC after 1.0.1 update, using the old manual root method.
-Used adb to install ASTRO
-Now on to reinstalling all my apps from backup.

:)