need help nook color freezes

kevinjgray88

Jun 28, 2011
hi I rooted my nook color and all was well until I tried an OC kernel. I have tried flashing the stock kernel back and everything else I could think of. It boots to the Read forever screen then goes blank and nothing happens. I threw away my box so I cant return it. I was hoping someone could explain how to fix it in easy terms as I am new to this

thanks

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Keven, welcome to the forum. Since you are new here, I will let you in on a little secret. Most of us here have found ourselves in a situation somewhat like yours at least once. Some of us have problems daily as we work with less stable roms. If I may direct you to the sticky threads here in nook technical, you will find an excellent tutorial on returning your nook to stock. Darmeen has put together a collection of really great steps to fix this very problem. On another note, I would suggest you read through the forum posts several times before you attempt any of the things you see done here. While the rooting process and installation of custom roms is not that difficult, there are dragons if you misread a step. A wise man once told me to measure twice and cut once.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

kevinjgray88

Jun 28, 2011
Yes I looked at those threads but dont fully understand what I need to do. is there some way you could dumb it down for me and tell me what files or what i need to do \
\
thanks

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Ok, first, exactly what software did you install. Version,ect .... Do you have clockwork recovery installed and which version? Which recovery did you flash? We need details to help you but never fear, short of mechanical failure or nuclear war, it is almost impossible to brick a nook color.

kevinjgray88

Jun 28, 2011
i used manuel nutter 4-5-2 to first root the nook. I am totally new to this and was suprised that I got it rooted. I actually somehow had it that if I booted with an sd card I was in honeycomb and without sd card I was in froyo

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Ok, since you have cwr installed, go to recovery and wipe the dalvic and system cache files then reboot. If that does not get you through booting, go back to cwr ans wipe data then try a reboot but you will lose any programs you downloaded unless you did a nandroid backup. Let me know what happens.

kevinjgray88

Jun 28, 2011
I just returned it and got a new one. I have it successfully rooted again. could you please explain how I do a backup and the easiest way to OC
Thanks alot

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just returned it and got a new one. I have it successfully rooted again. could you please explain how I do a backup and the easiest way to OC
Thanks alot

Well I have to say that if this is your solution to "fixing" problems you create you probably should't be rooting or modifing things you don't understand. You had a Nook that you broke (which wasn't really broken at all), you didn't understand or couldn't be bothered to read how to fix it and after just one day returned it?

kevin, I am not trying to be spiteful but maybe rooting isn't for you if you aren't going to take the time to learn what you need to do and aren't willing to try and fix issues you create. If you are not comfortable trying to work with a rooted nook maybe you should try this less intrusive method so that if you mess up all you need to do is remove the SD card http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I have some strange problem that I didnt face before at one year that I have rooted my nook.
I think its a matter of theme although I am not sure.What it happens is that after every boot Nook freezes inside main screen.I can use Nook to navigate through different screens or apps, but after a while it always freezes.
Also I noticed that something uses 100% of the Cpu all the time.
What I tried:
-changed governor
-lowered OC from 1.200 to 800mhz
-changed themes
-wifi is off
-Reinstall of last nightly that I was using (233) with wiping of Delvik and Cache partition-No difference

I was using the ICS theme that I found at XDA forum when I think it all started.At the beginning it was fine, but after I was getting some FC about Status Bar but after that the Nook was continuing to work fine most of the times.I decided to change it to normal theme and then the FC stopped, but now I have this fast freezing matter.

Any ideas?