Need you recommendation on buying an Android Tablet plz.

kim1406

Oct 18, 2010
Hi

This is my first post here. I found this great site when I was looking for a new tablet, so I would love to have your recommendations on which model to buy.

First, I have an iPhone 4, and my kids are using it all the time. So, I thought I may buy an iPad to leave it at home for them, however, I came across the Android based tablets and now I'm considering to purchase one instead.

What I'm looking for is a decent one with responsive touch screen, so the little kids can use it for games. Fast enough for internet surfing too, with latest Android OS if available, price range 250-300 US$.​
Waiting for your recommendations.​
Thanks​

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You should probably wait for the upcoming Archos tablets. This is closest to what you are looking for.

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
I want a new tablet: Should i buy the SmartQ t7 with large battery capacity. Or the new version of Telechips irobot with 4gbs of Nand flash? The irobot runs android 2.1 and is cheaper. But the Smartq review say that the wifi is slow? Which should i choose??? A brand name or generic??? help

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
If you are not technical and do not have the interest in banging your head if you want support. I would suggest a major brand. The no-names and clones are less expensive and some offer a good quality. But, they have a record for poorer quality control (read Early Fail rate) and poor service if you have issues.
If you are technically adept and do your research, there are some very interesting units coming directly out of China vendors.

Keep in mind, 99%+ are China manufactured Tablets. There are very few if any non-China Tablet manufactured sold in large numbers.

Similar to the Hobbit saying: Short cuts make for long trips. So do low price tablets. You may end up buying 2-3 low price units to find a good tablet.
But that is just my opinion

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Danger Kim1406, Danger

The Archos 7 is NOT the newer Android Archos units everyone is talking about. It is using an older version of Android, Resistive touch (Albeit a very good resistive touch) and a starter style of Tablet. This is a discontinued model. The newer models all have two digits. Examples 28, 32, 43, 70, 101. If you get this, you might be very happy but it will be old technology (only 1 year)

To JCollards001,
I am Fickle. NONE of my tablets are what I want yet. I am hoping the Archos 101 will fit that bill.

The A81-E renders YouTube the best and is most portable, but has annoying features and have concerns about durability. I also had to go to a Community Firmware for functional BT. And Market, whilst installed is NOT full market

The X5A is solid and works well, but is only 2.1 Android and drive issues that I think are due to a Firmware core prob. But it did come with full Market.

My Archos Home 7 which Kim1406 is considering is by far the most professional built unit. But it is using Android Donut. and no path for OS upgrade. It still is a reliable Reader/Browswer and media player for its approved codecs. But is limited for many apps. and has NO Market

Which would I take if walking out the door? Either the X5A or the A81-E. But more likely the A81-E

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
Kim, I own the Archos7 Home Tablet, depending on what you want to use it for, it is an amazing unit, video playback is amazingly crisp, audio is awesome (actually have to turn it down), wifi works great, and the build is fantastic, it doesn't feel cheap in your hands like some other tablets and there is a way to enable market :). The downsides (which is why I'm buying the Archos 70 slated for release hopefully within 2 weeks) old os (has android 1.5 vs the new archos70 will be running android froyo 2.2) single touch resistive touchscreen (archos70 is capacitive mulitouch), no gsensor/accelerometer, archos 7 doesn't have HDMI out. End result, for $275 (vs $199) your better off waiting for the archos70 (or maybe the 101(10" version) slated for release within the next few weeks?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I JUST PRE-ORDERED THIS BEAST..
Archos 501590 101 Internet Tablet - 10.1 Screen, 1024 x 600, Built-in Speakers, 8GB, Android User Interface, .5 Thick, WiFi, PRE ORDER - Due in 111 at Global Computer

It's supposed to be shipping the 1st of next month.. it's got the best bang for the buck IMO...

they have the 70 and the other smaller models for pre-order too... click the blue link "internet tablets" right above the product name.. it'll take you to the full Archos lineup that they carry...
I suggest these guys becase they have a better return policy than Archos's store or Amazon.. 30 days.. and no restocking fee...

I actually got a tad bit of a discount because where I work has an account with this company and i bought it through where i work.. :)

you can take that same product number and go to tigerdirect.com or circuitcity.com and have the same pricing.. maybe someone's business has accounts with them...

jcollardx001

Aug 24, 2010
@Swould333 - Thanks for the link. I only have one question left... Do you know anything about Archos' access to Android Market (or other sites?)

Thanks!

gunner13

Oct 19, 2010
Of all the tablets in your possession, which one do YOU like the best?

For me, the best is the WitsTech A81E with Android 2.2. It's a nice tablet with lots of support for around $199 - $270 (depending on where you purchase it). It's also sold as the Wirelession 1060G and the MIDnite. They all run WindowsCE and Android 2.2 (it's nice to have choices...).

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The word for Archos is they will have their version of Android Market. I would bet this will be fair but slanted. Archos is similar to Apple in filtering the things in their favor/profit.
There is already an APK install that provides immediate access to Market for the 32 and 28. It should work on the 70 and 101. That stated, Slideme and other market alternatives are popping up which are comparable.

Remember, Market is a great source, but not the end all be all.

BTW: I just got my notice my 101 is expected to ship on 31-Oct. What a nice Halloween treat. I will be thrilled. Remember it is Capacitive and not resistive touch for the 70 and 101. That makes it a goshwow in any book for the prices listed.