New Archos 70, what can I do to it?

davea

Feb 26, 2011
My Archos 70 arrives tomorrow.
I want to make it as reliable and stable as possible. Other than installing Google apps, what can or should I do to this guy?
I read something about a complete factory reboot after an update to Android 2.2, anything else?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, it boils down to what is the firmware installed when it arrives. If it is 2.0.71, that is decent version, but the latest is 2.1.0.8 (2.1.8) This has been agreed to be fairly stable.
The way to check your firmware is to touch settings, scroll down to about Archos device, click on it. It will show the Firmware version.
I would recommend the same five steps I did with my Archos 101. This is a good basic process.
1. Do not remove the screen protector until you have a touchscreen protector.
2. Calibrate after each firmware update
3. Charge the battery until it blinks. Then use it for the first time. I know this is hard, but I think it is best to start on a fully charged unit. You can connect and do initial setup during the charging. This would allow network connections and it will offer the latest Firmware download. Do it if you want the latest version.
4. Once charged, Download Arctool or GAppsLib_V5 for Market install. Once installed, you may have to do the Market Fix to find all the better apps
5. Download Adobe Flash 10.2.6.16, Skyfire or Dolphin Browser and Angry Birds (These three will be the core) and Acrobat, Aldiko/iReader, and Tunedin for Internet Radio. Once you have these, you would be well set up.
There are other things, but my mind is wandering. The most important things are Market, Favorite Apps, Full Charge, and use the latest Firmware. But that is just my opinion. Yours may be different.

davea

Feb 26, 2011
OK, it boils down to what is the firmware installed when it arrives. If it is 2.0.71, that is decent version, but the latest is 2.1.0.8 (2.1.8) This has been agreed to be fairly stable.
The way to check your firmware is to touch settings, scroll down to about Archos device, click on it. It will show the Firmware version.
I would recommend the same five steps I did with my Archos 101. This is a good basic process.
1. Do not remove the screen protector until you have a touchscreen protector.
2. Calibrate after each firmware update
3. Charge the battery until it blinks. Then use it for the first time. I know this is hard, but I think it is best to start on a fully charged unit. You can connect and do initial setup during the charging. This would allow network connections and it will offer the latest Firmware download. Do it if you want the latest version.
4. Once charged, Download Arctool or GAppsLib_V5 for Market install. Once installed, you may have to do the Market Fix to find all the better apps
5. Download Adobe Flash 10.2.6.16, Skyfire or Dolphin Browser and Angry Birds (These three will be the core) and Acrobat, Aldiko/iReader, and Tunedin for Internet Radio. Once you have these, you would be well set up.
There are other things, but my mind is wandering. The most important things are Market, Favorite Apps, Full Charge, and use the latest Firmware. But that is just my opinion. Yours may be different.

Thank you very much for reply and info. I think I got it all, but just want to clarify two things:

1. Is Arctool essentially the same as Gapps?

2. I think I saw a Youtube video concerning the market fix, but don't know where now. Can you point me to that one?