New European user with bunch of questions :)

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Hi folks,
I just purchased NC for my parents living in Europe
They travel a lot and since they are older, laptop is getting heavy to drag around :)
NC will be used only for email/web/pictures and perhaps some family movies.

I like to prepare the device for them and my question is if I can use temporary my email,
get the device ready (root and other customization) and then I like to delete all user info so they can use own gmail and so on.
Also like to know If I have to register the device with B&N since they will not use that service at all.

Thanks
Happy New Year

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Howdy, and welcome to the forum!

(1) Registering. It's pretty much a requirement that you have a B&N account when you set it up. If you're thinking about rooting it (in order to install more apps), you should register with a gmail address that also works at youtube (kind of a strange hack). It doesn't matter if you never go to B&N or actually use the B&N account, it's how the device is registered with them.

(2) Email. You have two choices: (a) leave the machine stock, in which case you/they can use the built-in email client. I don't have any experience with it, so you might ask for input from other users. Option (b) is to root and modify the NC, in which case you can then use the gmail app. At the moment, contacts doesn't work with gmail, so you/they would have to enter contact info for recipients manually. :( Another limitation with gmail is that you cannot remove an account once added, so your info would stay on it.

My suggestion, if you're comfortable with rooting the phone (it takes 20-30 minutes) is to set it up so that it is completely in your parents' name, i.e., their B&N account, their gmail account, etc. That allows you to freely add Android apps to the NC (e.g., Maps, browsers, games, news, etc.), which makes it a really wonderful device.

Good luck whichever way you go!

-Matt

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply Matt!
I like to root it for sure, I'm just worried that eventually B&N will reset the device like it happened couple days ago for some users.
Ideal would be to get rid of the B&N stuff all together and flash clean Froyo ( and have nandroid backup),
unfortunately that's not yet possible from what I understand.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'd estimate a useable Froyo is about a month away. Just a guess. However, the nookDevs site is pretty firm that the 1.0.1 update cannot occur without resetting the NC...so at least that update shouldn't have an impact on root. There also looks like there's a way to disable over the air updates, too.

Either way, it just sounds to me like you'll have to make regular trips out (3-4 times a year) to make sure everything is working! BTW, I almost had a chance to move to London (Western Ontario) but it didn't work out. :( Pity.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The 1.0.1 will come without your permission, rooted or not unless you disable updates (which I don't recommend). Also the 1.0.1 update will unroot your NC. Best to keep your apps backed up, wish for the best and don't get too attached to the way you have your NC for now. Till we get totally away from the nootered (pardon the expression :) ) b&n 2.1 or 2.2 (on the way) software, all bets are off and anything can happen.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hmm, just curious why you'd wait for Froyo? When I say "a month" I mean the mod version (aka the Nookie Froyo project). As far as B&N, I wouldn't count on seeing the update before February. Feature-wise I can't think of anything that 2.2 will add that will make a big difference to your parents, UNLESS B&N wraps in the Google Experience apps (gmail, calendar, etc.). I doubt they will.

Of course, another scenario is you set it up perfectly with 2.1 right now, and an OTA wipes it out in a month or two. That would be a pain.

RE: snow, I was visiting a school in London (January, I think) and the kids looked like they were getting ready to land on the moon. I've never seen so much snow gear!!!

Caribbean??? I didn't hear that... ;)

-Matt

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The 1.0.1 will come without your permission, rooted or not unless you disable updates (which I don't recommend). Also the 1.0.1 update will unroot your NC. Best to keep your apps backed up, wish for the best and don't get too attached to the way you have your NC for now. Till we get totally away from the nootered (pardon the expression :) ) b&n 2.1 or 2.2 (on the way) software, all bets are off and anything can happen.
Damn I forgot that happened. Here I am spreading misinformation. :(

-Matt

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
The only think I wish for is reliable 2.1 or 2.2 that is out of reach for B&N :)
I love my HTC Desire ( rooted running custom ROM)
I wish to have the same without the Phone/GPS/BT/Camera on the NC
That would make my day and I'm sure my folks would love it :)

Looks like this guy is almost done...
http://www.youtube.com/user/xboxexpert#p/u/0/DyNllv7TPXs

Last edited: