New to the forum (sorta), future Nook Color owner, I have a couple questions

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
In reality, the Dev that made the ROM included the updated market (which was nice ,but I don't understand...by that point people should already have a market on their rooted device) and its the updated market that stopped appbrain from working like it should. I don't know what it was that broke the forum app because using tapatalk pro worked just fine...
This reminds me that with my Droid, I've preferred virgin rooted ROMs. I don't know what's wrong with me, but it really bugs me when someone releases a ROM, and then says "Oh yeah, I deleted all the native apps that I didn't like, and I've added 17 utilities that I love but you'll probably never use."

OK, that is a totally unfair characterization, but it makes my point: I prefer a world where you get a minimum of two choices. Option A = vanilla Android with root, and Option B = the coolest, slickest ROM some dev cooks up. So far, it's early in the game for the Nook (come on, we JUST got the capacity to install backups, restores, and ROMs!), but I hope we end up with a steady stream of both options in the long run. I'd be frustrated if installing a rooted OTA update meant being forced into someone else's set of apps, options, themes, etc.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I love Rico and I sometimes think we make an excellent "old married couple." I worry like an old hen--"the sky is falling, the sky is falling"--and he calms, soothes, and reassures.

[speech]
Excuse the "soapbox moment" but I am a big fan of diversity and without multiple perspectives and viewpoints, you end up with stagnation and closed-minded thinking. I also don't think it's a cliche that "reasonable people will sometimes disagree." I see it happen a lot and I think it's a vital part of learning and exchanging ideas, especially on a public forum! The hard part for me is listening when I disagree, and staying polite and respectful. :eek:
[/speech]

Peace!

-Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt and I also think we make a good team. Along with everyone here, I’m very happy with how this section has grown the helpful attitude of our members here on the forum. I’ve been section editor to other forums and have to see this is the one of the nicest forum I’ve belonged to. And Matt, being that I have a side computer business, this is all old hat, listening to others device and computer issues I’ve become accustom to. Hopefully the Nook section will grow and be a good source for helpful info. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Allright, get a room you two! ;) LOL

I have been involved with many forums over the years going all the way back to BBS's and this is a great group of people around here. Which is not the case in other forums.

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
I've started looking for memory cards and I didn't know if any of you would suggest a peticular brand. On Amazon, the Transcend 8gb Class 6 is the best deal. What is the ideal class of sd card to get?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I've started looking for memory cards and I didn't know if any of you would suggest a peticular brand. On Amazon, the Transcend 8gb Class 6 is the best deal. What is the ideal class of sd card to get?
Oh boy, you're gonna get a wide range of suggestions on that! My experience is that a Class 4 card (16GB) works absolutely fine. I'm not picky about brand (just avoid TOTAL no-names)...I think I own Sandisk, Transcend, PNY, Kingston.

If someone has a Class 2, maybe they can chime in. Keep in mind that Class determines minimum read/write speed...so a Class 2 card has a minimum speed of 2MB per second. I'm having a hard time imagining why that would make a big difference on the Nook. DSLR camera?...that's a different story. :) If you get a Class 6 or a Class 10, you may be paying for performance that the Nook can't really provide!

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

Thats the card i have...and i have a second on the way...works great

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
I ended up finding a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 16gb Class 4 Micro SD for $20 and a card reader/usb hub for $10. The SanDisk website said the card retails for $120 so I'm thinking I got a good deal. Now all I need is my nook. Only a couple weeks away...

Last edited:

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
The rooting process was pretty easy. Go ahead and get the files downloaded and your SD card setup. That was what took me the longest time. That way when you get your NC all you have to do is update it and then insert the SD card. I think you want to register it before rooting as well. It is in the instructions. I also watched the youtube video. It is helpful as well.

I just received my 32 gb SD card. It seems to be working great. I have at least 7 movies on it.

Go Pack!!!

Class of 1997.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
I took your advice and downloaded the files and followed the SD card setup. I didn't have any of the issues that were mentioned in the video I watched. Everything went seamlessly and now all I need to do is get to 1.1 and insert the Micro SD card. It was a pretty simple, straightforward process. It's also nice to have another wolfpacker in here. I just wish our basketball team would pick it up. I just finished watching us get completely annihilated by Duke by 24 points.