New Nook rooted but have questions regarding auto nooter

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
I got a Nook the other day and rooted it with Auto Nooter today. I am playing around with it and learning the interface. My friend who got one today thinks that we have to load Froyo on top of Auto Nooter but I can't see doing that. I thought Froyo was it's own OS and independent of anything like Auto Nooter.

Who is right?

I also got a 4 gig micro SD card that I used for rooting and put the Auto Nooter image on it. Now I can't seem to format it with the full 4 gig but I don't see the rest of the space. I have to assume the image is taking the rest of it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You are right :) Autonooter puts you on Eclair (2.1) and Froyo is 2.2. You don't have to add Froyo "on top of" autonooter. In fact you can't, you have to replace autonooter entirely if you want to go Froyo. I suggest staying on 2.1 since B&N is going to be rolling out their own 2.2 soon. You can learn about your Nook as it is for a week or two and then see what you want to do next.

If you haven't already you do need to get a Home Launcher. Zeam is the most popular for the nook but there are others like ADW and Launcher Pro. These will make your nook like an android tablet and not like a B&N ereader (but you can still use it that way since a home launcher is in addition to not inplace of).

Finally, you can format your card back to full size in the nook. Just go into settings, find the SD card and choose format.

Welcome to the club :D

JP

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you decide to go to froyo or gingerbread, read the [How To] on clockwork recovery first. You want to make a total system backup via clockwork recovery before your erase your entire system and load a new rom/OS. You may also want to read the [How To] for making a bootable clockwork recovery sdcard for emergencies incase you lose recovery when flashing new roms.

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to hear I have 2.1 on here and don't need anything else. I'll wait to see what B& N comes out with before moving to froyo.

Posted from my rooted Book :)

Btw I installed the Go launcher.

cgcf1979

May 24, 2011
Hi. I'm new to the forum and new to a nook. I want to root it but before I do i was wondering if CM7 can be put on it? Also, if CM7 can't what Rom do you recommend putting on the nook. Thanks in advance for the help

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
CM7 overwrites your original barnes and noble rom but it does deliver on the experience- i use cm7 7.02 and have recently moved on to phiremod 6.2 which is still based on cm7. i would recommend phiremod to a newbie to nook - it has most of what you need to get started and use it daily.

once you hvae that installed or are comfortable flashing, add the overclock kernel for additiona performance and responsiveness.

then populate it with apps that would serve your needs - browser (i use dolphin) , rss newsreaders (i love taptu and pulse), TV show viewer (TVSHow Stream), movie viewer (MegaVideo Pro) and a video player for movie files you install (VitalPlayer Neon), texting app (textfree), social networking (facebook/twitter) and of course games (Slice it)

Hi. I'm new to the forum and new to a nook. I want to root it but before I do i was wondering if CM7 can be put on it? Also, if CM7 can't what Rom do you recommend putting on the nook. Thanks in advance for the help

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
it is nook not nook color does the other information still apply?

Nope. The original Nook can be rooted but its capabilities are limited and it will not be a tablet device like the Nook Color.

Sorry :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think you can put any ROMs on it just root. Barnes & Noble Nook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hacking
Some nook users have loaded Android applications on the nook, such as Pandora‎, a web browser, a twitter client called Tweet, Google Reader and a Facebook application.[15] Many general Android applications running on the nook present interactive areas of their interface on the E Ink display, making such applications difficult to manipulate on the device. However, Android applications optimized for the nook screen are also available, including app launchers, browsers, library managers, and an online book catalog browser and feed reader.
Although gaining superuser (root) access to install software on the nook initially required physical disassembly of the device, as of 2010[update] users can gain root access using software alone.[16]
A new hardware revision introduced in August 2010, identifiable by a serial number starting with 1003, running firmware 1.4.1, requires different software than the older models. Attempting to gain root access using software designed for older models renders the unit unusable.[17]
As of October, 2010, a new method involving spoofing a DNS entry has been found to root 1.4.1 nooks.

cgcf1979

May 24, 2011
okay thanks. So basically I just got a e-reader instead of a tablet. Does anyone know if the new nook coming out in June wiill be root able

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
okay thanks. So basically I just got a e-reader instead of a tablet. Does anyone know if the new nook coming out in June wiill be root able

Sicne it is Android based it will probably be rootable but it is also an e-reader not a tablet. If you want a tablet the Nook Color is great and pretty unbeatable at the price :)

NCGirl

Sep 2, 2011
I have an auto-nooter question too. I just bought a refurbished Nook Color with the model number bnrv200rb. How can I find out which version of auto-nooter to download?