New System Update (1.141.04 ) won't install

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Bought a refurb 500, got it yesterday. Turned it on and got the update notice. Took 2 tries as the battery didn't have enough charge on the first try.

I wish that there was some info as to how the tablet behaves during the update process. At least warn you when tablet will turn off.

Always keep your tablet fully charged. Never let it get below 20%. Also alwways use the oem charger - the others don't work.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
When a non standard custom ROM is -loaded instead of the standard ACER issue ROM.

My A500 is stock - in other words not rooted.

Rooting has nothing to do with changing the ROM. Rooting is when you run some sort of script to gain the root administration rights to the operating system as all tablets come with that ability disabled. You root your device separately THEN you flash a custom ROM.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Rooting has nothing to do with changing the ROM. Rooting is when you run some sort of script to gain the root administration rights to the operating system as all tablets come with that ability disabled. You root your device separately THEN you flash a custom ROM.
Well precisely my point. Then you load a custom ROM, like Thor which makes your A500 think it is a Transformer tablet instead - or something else other than a500. And you've got to root to load a Custom ROM - no point otherwise. So it is part and parcel of the same thing. If you root your tablet you won't get OTA updates from ACER. To do so you will have to unroot the tablet.

Or you need to "side load" a new CUSTOM ROM from the XDA developers web site.

My tablet does everything I require of it being stock - I do not require the rooting of my tablet - actually I don't agree introducing noobies to ROOTING - they should take the time to learn the system as is until they are proficient. Mine has been very stable. I had it for 1 year and 3.5 months.

Last edited: