New System Update (1.141.04 ) won't install

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
G'day, mate!

Land of your distant ancestors is doing nicely... Summer is going away... How's the land of my dreams? :) (Granted, it's rather Sydney which I've been to and really want to come back to...)

As for the system update. My sister had a similar problem. Kept getting error messages until I called her and had her do the same thing with me on the phone... And it worked. Sometimes, some black magic is needed... :)

Try clearing the system cache (if I remember well, turn the machine on while pressing volume up and power). No worries about data, it's just the cache which will be automatically rebuilt afterwards... then do the update again.

A bientot;
Gilles.
Bonjour mon ami,

And that about the limit I can remember in written French. Melbourne is quite mild this time of year. Sound wonderful in France. I wonder what Lyon is like - might visit some day.

Thank you for that idea of clearing the cache - should have thought of that. My daughter will give it a go in the next to days.

See you later (as we say here).
John.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Sorry Frosty I didn't realize you were waiting for an answer. What you do is this:

turn off your tab completely and wait a few seconds.
holding down the volume up and press and hold the power button so your tab powers still holding down the volume up while your tab starts up.
keep holding down the volume up until tab completes start up.
Then go go of the volume up.
After a minute or so turn off the tab completely.
Start tab normally and download update again.
if update fails to install this time it may come up with a different message.
do another restart diwnload update and it will work fine.

This worked on my daughter's tab.

philbert570

Feb 2, 2012
sorry for what may be a stupid question but what is 'rooted' and 'unrooted'. I am having the same problem. What do I need to do to get 'unrooted'

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
sorry for what may be a stupid question but what is 'rooted' and 'unrooted'. I am having the same problem. What do I need to do to get 'unrooted'

There are no stupid questions when it comes to a new OS or Device.

If you were rooted then you would know because it is something that you have to do yourself.

If having a problem with an update make sure while it is downloading to be (1) plugged in to your adapter (2) be near your router and very important (3) make sure that your screen doesn't go black (sleep) by tapping on it every minute or so while the update is downloading.

philbert570

Feb 2, 2012
excellent thanks. 3rd time lucky it worked. I still dont understand the difference between a rooted or unrooted tablet. I dont recall having to do anything special when I loaded it up

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
excellent thanks. 3rd time lucky it worked. I still dont understand the difference between a rooted or unrooted tablet. I dont recall having to do anything special when I loaded it up
Simply put. When you buy your tablet it is unrooted or in other words stock standard. It will receive OTA updates.

A rooted tablet is where you have decided that you don't like ACER's lock down and that you want complete control over everything. You load another rom like the THOR roms which then makes your ACER A500 think it is an ASUS transformer tablet instead. Some like this sort of thing.

Some prefer their tablets standard.
If you do intend to root your tablet be careful to read all the relevant documentation and that you do exactly as they say. Also make sure your tablet is plug in and fully charged before you start. Otherwise you'll end up like Darvish who bricked his tablet so badly that he may need a new one.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011

Well... 512 MB of RAM, it's less than the 1GB on my phone... and I fill that up pretty fast with the apps that are running in the background. I wouldn't even consider a tablet with less than 1GB of RAM. Yes. It's cheap. But you get what you pay for. 512MB RAM and 8GB storage. I might live with 8GB storage if I can stick in a microSD for data (which is the case in that tablet)... but then the screen resolution (800x480) sets me back as well.

Not for me. Not even close to the Acer A500. Buy a used A500 and wait for the ICS update and you will have a much better device.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
If Google's tab works like the Nexus phone -

There's a root process for the Nexus S that just gets rid of crap, but doesn't unlock or mess with the bootloader. I used this to clean off my Nexus S. Last week I got the upgrade notice. Didn't work, had to upgrade to 4.03 manually, but then the 4.04 upgrade installed. It did unroot the phone.

Why don't we have a root process for other phones and tablets for those of us who just want to get rid of apps that we don't want? I'm talking social type apps, stuff that is just on the device to appeal to customers. Not apps that are needed for service. We don't want or need custom ROMs, speed, etc. Just no bloatware.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Bought a refurb 500, got it yesterday. Turned it on and got the update notice. Took 2 tries as the battery didn't have enough charge on the first try.

I wish that there was some info as to how the tablet behaves during the update process. At least warn you when tablet will turn off.

MsEclectic

Aug 21, 2012
I have no idea what 'rooted' means but I have the same problem. I've had my tablet a year and have tried several times to update. It takes FOREVER to download and then tells me the installation failed. Very annoying.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have no idea what 'rooted' means but I have the same problem. I've had my tablet a year and have tried several times to update. It takes FOREVER to download and then tells me the installation failed. Very annoying.
Make sure your tablet is plugged into mains power.

Then go to SETTINGS on your tablet and set the display blanking to 30m or more. You can also set your screen never to turn off. But stick with the 30m for now and try again. It should work.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
what the heck is rooting? Can someone give me a link or something to help explain it?
When a non standard custom ROM is -loaded instead of the standard ACER issue ROM.

My A500 is stock - in other words not rooted.