New to Nook (few minor questions to get me started)

avic77

Feb 7, 2011
hello all,
I just got a Nook Color for Valentines! This is my first Android. I look forward to learning alot from these forums :) My husband is an IT but has also not used Andriod (that i know of). He is going to root it for me but will be following the online guides.

Which is the best and easiest way to root? NookColor Rooting - nookDevs is the one we found and saved.
On Ebay I saw SD cards sold with the root on them where if you have the SD card in its a tablet if you take it out it is back to the normal Nook e reader? Is there directions to do that yourself somewhere?
Do i need one SD card to keep the root info on or can i clear it after we root?
Do I need a seperate SD card for all the apps, music, movies, etc?
What size (8gb 16gb) SD card is the max the nook will take?
Is there a certain "class" SD card I need?

I hope i am not asking stupid questions. I am very new to this whole process!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Not stupid at all.

Don't bother with the SD Cards on Ebay...you or your husband can do everything, no need to spend money when you could use that money to get more stuff that you will actually use.

Once you are done rooting, you can format the sd card in the nook and use it for your storage, but I would suggest getting a second sd card (so you don't have to move your files if you wanted to do some sort of update/upgrade down the road.

The NC will support up to 32GB Micro SD, I would suggest getting class 6 cards (some people have had issues with the class 10 cards), but I did my initial rooting on a 1gb Class 2 card, but you will get better data transfer rates with the class 6 card. ( I have two 8gb Class 6 cards and the 1gb class 2)

Make sure that you have some sort of sd card reader on your PC, either hardwired or a standalone card reader. I picked up one of these Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card with USB 2.0 Card Reader TS8GUSDHC6-P3: Electronics and it works awesome.

avic77

Feb 7, 2011
Thank you!
Husband spent half day figureing out getting it to connect to WiFi... apparently whatever was happening is common and he found a solution somewhere. We are going to root it here shortly =) I ordered a 4g and 8g Micro SD class 6 but we will have to root useing a class 2 2g he brought home from work. He wanted to make sure we didnt need to leave the rooting information on the card since he has to take it back to work monday.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well have fun rooting...its good to learn what is going on, so if something does go wrong, you guys are better prepared to troubleshoot, and if you can't figure it out, at least know which questions to ask.