New user problems

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Barb, I don't think BestBuy has them (not sure, though). Got an Office Depot nearby? I know they've had them on the shelves, but I wouldn't assume that OfficeMax or Staples would. Guess I'd give them a call.

I'm installing Unblock Me Free ATM...and...OMG YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! HAH!

Hmmm, an early clue was that it doesn't use the full screen. Sure enough, I had the non-response problem...but it seems, at least on the start screen that it isn't a sensitivity issue: try tapping the far left edges of the "Play", "Levels", and "Options" buttons and you should see that they work perfectly. It looks to me like this is a case of a phone app not scaling to a larger screen, which makes the buttons look unresponsive (I noticed a similar pattern in the game).

Still not sure about that stuck marble, but in the meantime, give SpeedX 3D a chance. It's a tunnel game that will test your accelerometer. Should work perfectly.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized you may not have it in your market. Maybe we can find a download link somewhere. And you know "you're not crazy" was meant affectionately. ;)

-Matt

Last edited:

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
Matt, Thank you so much. This makes me feel a little bit better about the hardware. I found the Speedx on Amazon's marketplace. I will try it out tonight and let you know how it works. I am really hoping the problem isn't in the hardware. When I'm on the application menu screen and I push one of the apps, I can see that the app was pushed because the outline changes color, but the app doesn't start. I guess I thought all of these issues were related to the touch screen, but perhaps they aren't.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hmm, that app tray problem is interesting. Is it a consistent problem, or sporadic? If the app outline is appearing but no app start...you might have a rogue app that is using resources. When was your last full reboot?

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yep, shutdown. If you've had problems today, I'd try another reboot/shutdown. You may also want to quietly whisper some encouraging words to it. ;) I don't know if that will help, but I can guarantee it won't hurt.

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Morning Dave! I've put together a beginner's level thread on installing Mountain Laurel--it's the only 4349-based modified ROM that I'm aware of at the moment: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...in-laurel-rom-some-basic-steps.html#post77960
Of course you know all the steps...but I've also included the links you'll need for convenience!
Let us know if you give it a try. :)
-Matt

Hello Matt, I read your instruction. It was well done and with a lot of thoughts that you put in it. The forum benefits greatly from your contribution.

Hello Barbara, I really admire your patience with the device, albeit many 'bugs' that you experienced so far. I know that Staples pulled this device for some reasons or the others. Rumor was that 'too many returns'. Sears and Office Depot used to carry them. But I could not find one locally during the previous 1-2 months. Finally, I got one from J&R. This one was sold as NEW, but apparently it was not. I saw a bunch of tmp files. However, it was doing well with the apps that were installed on it. I fixed it up with a custom rom and sent to my daughter. A few weeks ago, I bought another one from Woot. The moment I turned it on, I was impressed. The background was water with the reflection of falling leaves. Apps worked well. Screen was responsive. I was temped to keep it as is. But since the intent was to support my daughter, I was reluctantly rooted it and updated with custom rom's.

Not all apps and games from the market will work correctly on the gtablet. Many of them were designed for phones.

With all that said, the gtablet is a GREAT device at a very very REASONABLE price. A great chance is that, by following Matt's write-up of Mountain Laurel Rom, your tablet will perform great and perhaps surpass your expectations. The risk would be that you will have to learn how to return to stock prior to return it to your seller. On another hand, your tablet may have some issue with hardware, cpu, memory, internal storage . . .etc . . . If it is easy to return and exchange, I'd do it.

I've seen that you have plenty of help from Matt. You are in good hand.

Dave,

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
I went through the apps that I downloaded and uninstalled the ones that didn't seem to be working well. The g-tablet is responding better. Is it possible that one of the apps I installed was causing the problems? Anyway with the instructions for the new ROM looking quite simple, I think I may try that this weekend. With all the warnings, I thought the process to install a new ROM would be a bit more complicated. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll let you know how the new ROM works. -Barbara