New User Question

gwhamilton

Dec 26, 2010
Ijust got the Archos 7 Ht for Christmas. I want to decide if I want to keep it, I think it has old software installed. I'm not sure what version numbers I need to report so I;ll post all that I can.
Model A70HB
Firmware 1.0.15
Kernel 2.6.25
Build RK--1.2.9.eng.root.20100823.093008

I want to add Google Marketplace, I talked to a Best Buy sales guy today and he told me to hack it and use Google. Will this be possible? If I can get Google, so far I like this device.
Thanks in advance!

posttal

Dec 27, 2010
I got the archos 7 home tablet for christmas...took it back to get the archos 70 internet tablet.I did this because the internet tablet has a HDMI output so I can download movies to it and play them back on the big screen.
My thoughts on it..I like it..liked the home edition to.BUT I made a few mistakes..first I was told that the 139.00 DVR dock would turn it into a DRV station for media playback..wrong.If your looking to do this the dock only works with the archos 7 MEDIA tablet..a whole lot more money.And by secong issue WAS the apps.The included app store was down all day and is still down.From what I'v read its because so many people got one of these that the server was overloaded.BUT..I did do some checking and found a link..I think it was in this site somewhere..that when download gave me the same google app store I have on my motorola droid phone..and I love it.So to answer your original question..yes you can get google apps.As far as the tablet itself..I like the internet version over the home version..the internet version comes with froyo 2.2..and the screen rotates.And I dont think the home tablet has flash either..that means no you tube.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There is no way to update or upgrade the firmware of the Archos 7 HT past what is on the Archos web site. It is frozen at Android 1.5

gwhamilton

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the info. This is my first tablet. I like the idea of a tablet, like the size and price of the 7 HT.I don't have the need for a need cellular connection. If I can get to the Google market and some good apps, I'll keep it. My understanding it that you tube will not work but I saw an app that downloads the you-tube video, can it then be watched? Another question I have is about memory. I have downloaded some apps and got a memory warning. I am no where near the 8GB, I'm sure not even near 1 GB. I know I asked a lot of questions, just trying to see if I should keep the 7HT. Thanks for all of the help so far.

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Already posted this elsewhere but I may as well help you directly.

Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Operation Unbrickable: The quest for Google Apps
This does not take your android version up, you are probably stuck at 1.5 unless you are a serious hacker and want to do the job yourself.
But the above instructions let you use the official market place which is superior to the Apps Lib. Please pay attention to the part where he says you use it at your own risk.

Since it doesnt seem like too many people take the 7 home tablet version 1 too seriously I dont think anyone will have a problem using it as an experimental device. At the very least you should give yourself Market access. Make sure you back up everything important before starting.