New WonderMedia WM8650 Android Tablet PC

ceavis

Feb 9, 2011
As microprocessors company, VIA Technologies from Taiwan launched the VIA WM8505 few year ago, thanks to the tablet pc market is rapidly extend, The WM8505 shipments are more than 400 million units.

Currently, VIA was announced the new chip WM8650, it’s also a 65nm CPU. VIA uses the same as MediaTek turn-key mode, they provide completed hardware core board and software to tablet pc manufacturers. ARM cores Processors

What the VIA has claimed is that the WM8650 has the ability to run on Android 2.2 and CE7.0, support Flash 10.1 and decode 720p videos. And the WM8650 is a chip that based on ARM11 inner core with a overlock on 800MHz, though officially information is 600MHz.

VIA’s WM8650 may just be the shot in the arm they need in the tablet/MID market, Compete to the Rockchip 2818 ‘flagship’. The WM8650 is supposed to rebound from that rather pronounced defeat, promising Android 2.1 and compete with the RK2818 / TCC8902. Where VIA may hope to compete is price, but that is just my speculation. Either way, the only “confirmed” specs of the WM8650 is that it will be clocked at or around 600MHz again, and that it should do 720p, the main features of wm8650 as following,
1) 800MHz CPU.
2) Android 2.2 OS with new fresh UI and interface.
3) Affable price, the cost is the lowwest in the tablet pc market.
4) To give out more heat than normal tablets when it is working
5) Supports AVI format up tp 720P video, does not support RMVB. (it is still being debugged)
6) Flash 10 playback.
7) Supports HTML5 video online

The WM8650 technology is the same as WM8505, but the frequency is higher, and the efficiency of Floating-Point calculation is 45% increase and power consumer is 20% lower than VIA VM8505, so we believe the new VIA WM8650 will be popular in the near future.

budhzie

Feb 8, 2011
anyone use this chipset based tablet?
is it really support flash 10.1?, how is the performance?
thanks.

justinepeter

Feb 28, 2011
WM8650 chips are based on ARM11 framework with 600MHz, DSP 300MHz, could run on Android 2.1 and support 720p hard ware decode. Compared with other VIA Chips are much cheaper!
The VIA WM8650 runs on Android 2.2 with 800MHz CPU, a 7 inch 800*400 resistive dual point touchscreen, 256M memory, 2G Flash memory and a 1500mAh battery.
The customized UI, looks shiny and that VIA has developed some apps for this tablet. So it will be easy-handed especially for the green hands.
This is an affordable tablet that has a good performance. The 720p video playing and Flash 10 have not been finished yet. If the news is true that the price is not too much than that of the WM8505, it will be hopeful to be a hot sale.

shenit

Jul 17, 2010
As of today, it still does not support Flash 10.1 for web browsing, the manufacturer told us that the new firmware launching around March will support Flash. We will update on our website and blog once it is confirmed.

cider101

Jan 17, 2011
well, i'm interested in this flash thingi too...hope there will be soon some clarification, since a lot of seller on aliepress advertise the tablet beeing capable of running flash 10.1....

update: just found this hands-on video
http://home.pomoho.com/ljm2010/11419205
you can see, there is no flash support yet. The page (okpbw.com) he opens at the begin of the video contains flash...

Last edited:

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
Just purchased a tablet running 2.2 from around 88 pounds from the Babikenshop. Will let you know how i get on with 2.2.

I sold that 7 inch tablet for two reasons . Firstly there was only the App market and no android market and secondly that horrible 24 pin connector which only had 1 out of 2 usb working.

Last edited:

zhou

Mar 25, 2011
my wm8650 tablelet doesn't support flash out of the box . but i did see a demo of another wm8650 based tablet which can play flash videos. So my judgement is that this is a software issue and not a hardware issue.

gegsite

Apr 2, 2011
Hi,

Just bought one, and it is a really nice tablet.

I had probably delete one program from WM's cause there was no problem to play and show flash content, but now I get just a blue block showing there is a flash content, and probably missing the flash player.

I can watch youtube video's in the dedicated program, but that is a really basic.
I could not even login in that.

Please help me, to install propper flashplayer (in the application management there is installed an Adobe Flash Player (Evaluation Copy), but seems not working now)

Gegsite

generic3

Mar 25, 2011
I just purchased a Mid 8650 from ebay and it has android 2.2 and flash 10.1. My first tablet so I have nothing to compare it too. The 800 mhz is pretty fast I believe, it also has the resistive touch screen. Purchase price-shipping was $140.00. The only problem I've had with it so far is that when I completely power the tablet off and turn it back on it resets to the default settings. (wallpaper etc). I've been searching here to try and fix the problem. If anyone reads this and knows how please get back with me. Thanks all hope I helped answer some questions

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Ask your vendor for a firmware fix. Take some pictures of what you have and start a thread about it.

gegsite

Apr 2, 2011
I just purchased a Mid 8650 from ebay and it has android 2.2 and flash 10.1. My first tablet so I have nothing to compare it too. The 800 mhz is pretty fast I believe, it also has the resistive touch screen. Purchase price-shipping was $140.00. The only problem I've had with it so far is that when I completely power the tablet off and turn it back on it resets to the default settings. (wallpaper etc). I've been searching here to try and fix the problem. If anyone reads this and knows how please get back with me. Thanks all hope I helped answer some questions

Probably you push it too long.
A tik to the button send it to sleep
3 seconds it come and ask what to do (airplan mode, hibernate, shut off)
8 sec Hard stop (not recommended)

Also to turn on the same:
IF it is in sleep mode a tik and wakes up
4 seconds to normal boot (than it was turned off)
8 seconds to HARD reset (back to factory settings)

READ the manual!

To my problem any suggestions?

Gegsite