Next3 8.4" (8.6") by Nextbook USA (Tablet & Ereader) with RockChip RK2818

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

The Next3 is an E-Reader first, but comes with tablet features as it is running Android OS 2.1. It uses the latest RockChip RK2818, a dual Core CPU, at ~600MHz.

CaffeineMark 3.0 MIDP2.0 CLDC1.1

It has an orientation-Sensor supporting 360-degree spin, and is capable of playing various video formats on the 7" 800x600 resistive touch / 4:3 display. (*Note: Data Sheet reads 8GB SDHC was the max for external Storage. FCC documents reported more. So it could be another typo on NextbookUSA). Prior 7" 800x480 only ran RockChip RK2808 600MHz on Android OS 1.5.

Data Sheet
http://www.nextbookusa.com/pdfs/NEXT3_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Pushed like crazy on HSN since Early Friday Morning for $199.99 with free shipping and $50 for the first payment by CC or DC to get it to you before Christmas. The suggested retail price is a whooping $299.99. This of course is a terrible deal.

Video Demo

FCC Internal Shots

76956_464947472948_579882948_5720995_5568577_n.jpg

CPU layout
154133_464922482948_579882948_5720706_7513246_n.jpg

Internal layout
73982_464947412948_579882948_5720993_2023518_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
This ebook reader just seems really cheap and good for what it does. Wish tablets and ebook readers would flood the New Zealand market!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
One of my Mods reported that they got this in the mail today.. Running CM3 Benchmark and yeah some of you might not say it's so cool but it a good judgement in my opinion to see how well the Dual Core 1GHz MPU is doing on the Next3

CaffeineMark 3.0 MIDP2.0 CLDC1.1

Sieve score = 1551 (98)
Loop Score = 2670 (2017)
Logic score = 2895 (0)
String score = 1088 (708)
Float score = 1117 (185)
Method score = 1398 (166650)

Overall score = 1652

That's number beats the stock Archos where I got for OS 1,471.

Last edited:

Bill236

Nov 15, 2010
I just ordered this and it will be delivered on the 24th, I have been looking at all the different tablets and reading this site to try and make up my mind as to what to buy, I saw this on HSN and just ordered it, if it doesn't do what I need it's going back, but it seems it should do the job. I have so many questions about software and what it will handle, it says it comes with it's own 3rd party app store, no idea what is in it, but I would like to get into the Android market, but they say it won't run it, I will do my tests to see if it meets my needs and post anything I find here if anyone is interested.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There is no way this thing is running over 1GHz. It doesn't matter what the benchmark says.

You are contradicting not only the spec sheet of Nextbook, but also the data sheets of the RK2818.

This is definitely not a recommended device. It will not perform well compared to other tablets in this price range.

Pumpkinseed

Dec 21, 2010
Cancel your order if you can.... I just got mine and EVERY app you want is on Market, which is NOT on Nextbook. I have a Next2 and not the Next3, but NEITHER of these tablets have Android Market, which you must have to download reputable apps from reputable companies.

Want to listen to Napster? You can't. Want to get the XM radio app, guess what? You can't. Name a major app and I promise you will NOT get it on the AppStore that they provide on Nextbooks. YOu cannot download Market onto your tablet and any other application store/marketplace that you may want to use won't will NOT work on this tablet. I've tried and tried, believe me.

But you will have access to a very limited amount of apps that, basically, are silly. It's very frustrating. I've been troubleshooting mine for days now, posting to forums, calling support lines, you name it and NADA.

I don't know what you want to use this tablet for, but if you want to have access to apps that are designed by trusted companies, you will not find them using Nextbook.

If I could return this, I would, in a HEARTBEAT. But I cannot. I purchased it from a store with a strict no return policy on opened electronic devices. Great....

Thank god I did not spend a fortune.
Just my two cents.

Pumpkinseed

Dec 21, 2010
There is no way this thing is running over 1GHz. It doesn't matter what the benchmark says.

You are contradicting not only the spec sheet of Nextbook, but also the data sheets of the RK2818.

This is definitely not a recommended device. It will not perform well compared to other tablets in this price range.

LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE A NEXTBOOK. Read my post in this thread and avoid like the plague.

Oh, and support people know nothing. Obviously, they have outsourced support to a basic call-center and the employees are simply reading computer prompts, with have little actual computer knowledge. God help you if you own a Mac (which I do). Your device will NOT SYNC with Air Port. Won't happen.

Pumpkinseed

Dec 21, 2010

I AGREE. No, since NextbookUSA is so gracious *cough, cough* as to not provide Android Market on their device, I had to go in search of another app market/store to replace the PATHETIC one that they provide on the excuse for tablet.

I found one... "Slide Me". You can download the slide me app from the website onto the tablet and install. When you try to open it, however, guess what? Not enough memory. Hmm.

Also, I don't know about other tablets on the market, but it appears that NextbookUSA has blocked rooting methods. What does this mean? To quote a friend of mine:

"Rooting is how one gains access to the operating system to bend it to your will (if you know what you are doing, needed for upgrading the flash [read :eek:perating system]) there was a few things on rooting the device but they seem to be taken down (along with the cashe on google), seems like they spend there money on lawyers not on the full android package [would give the marketplace], I will keep looking."

So, if you want to, or NEED to, upgrade the operating system, you can't.

NextbookUSA is a very shady company. They are hawking cheap and inferior products. There really is no need for it either. They are dooming their company, imo. Why not produce a good product and focus on long term profit goals? I just don't understand.

My husband and I were at Borders the other day (actually the day after our Nextbook2 arrived) and I wanted to cry. There were Android tablets that were far superior to the Nextbook2 and they were CHEAPER!

My husband is currently on my bad list. He is the one that ordered this product and he ordered one for him and one for me.

Lovely. He said he researched it and he did. Problem is, he does not know a thing about Android Tablets. Not many people do, actually. They are so new to the market. :(((((((((((

So, our bank account suffered at the hands of this company. For the combined price of two Next2 tablets, I could have had one good tablet.

Sad.

BUYER BEWARE.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Can't say listen to one person over another person. Not fair to say. I have members who have it and they enjoy it. I'll be the final judge when you own then you can be the final say. It's should be before Xmas. I'll test it just like I am doing with the A7 score is over 7,165 but to get that I had to use my Rooted tools on it. That' beats the Archos after using Z4Root with 5,xxx score.

JaxDomino

Dec 22, 2010
My best friend bought this for his wife for Christmas and I have it in my hands RIGHT now. The form factor is GREAT compared to my iPad and the Viewsonic G Tablet I bought for my for Christmas. I will tell tell you that I don't like the screen. It's not responsive. The FREE books are free EVERYWHERE!!! They are in the public domain. I'm waiting on someone over at xda-developers to root this thing and get a custom ROM on it. I rooted the the Viewsonic G Tablet for my wife and it runs better than it ran out of the box. I'm sure once someone does something with this Tablet I think with the form factor it will be a hit. Right now, it's a dud. The speed is not that great. The apps suck big time! No Market kills this thing, but there are always work-arounds for that! ;-)

raykj07

Nov 1, 2010
Can't say listen to one person over another person. Not fair to say. I have members who have it and they enjoy it. I'll be the final judge when you own then you can be the final say. It's should be before Xmas. I'll test it just like I am doing with the A7 score is over 7,165 but to get that I had to use my Rooted tools on it. That' beats the Archos after using Z4Root with 5,xxx score.

I must say, I have purchased the Next3 and it is NOT slow. The screen is a bit touchy, but getting used to it. Doesn't really have much lag. Was odd, after being used to my HTC HD2 capacitive screen, (It's 4.3") and doing Android like activities on it, played with my Next3 until the battery died and then used my phone for something this morning, the phone felt TINY! LOL. Anyway, so far so good.
Rooted it with Universal Androot and was poking around with Root Explorer.
Will post additional observations later.

Regards,
raykj07

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
156987_482567277948_579882948_5992141_87191_n.jpg

Well it's faster than the A7 is.. Thin and well package better than A7 was. Marketing department at NextBookUSA gets a pat on their shoulder from me!
But with my Next3 I get CM3 showing 1,690 after using my tweak tools on it. Rooting it would be next best thing I should be able to get it up to 1,800. Still quicker than A7, near as fast as the Archos, then Pandigital 9".
In the picture to the lower left I just got another MID from China, but that one has that RTS acceleration panel it quick as my RDX Turbo WMT2.0_105 V1.5 (newest ROM)

Last edited:

mellytime

Dec 16, 2010
I must say, I have purchased the Next3 and it is NOT slow. The screen is a bit touchy, but getting used to it. Doesn't really have much lag. Was odd, after being used to my HTC HD2 capacitive screen, (It's 4.3") and doing Android like activities on it, played with my Next3 until the battery died and then used my phone for something this morning, the phone felt TINY! LOL. Anyway, so far so good.
Rooted it with Universal Androot and was poking around with Root Explorer.
Will post additional observations later.

Regards,
raykj07

'ROOTED!!! Are you talking about Temp Root?... Temp Root is possible but that's a waste of time I want it rooted perm so that I dont have to do it again.... When I plugged this thing in it comes up with the HTC Dream ADB Interface Intresting also I installed Rom Manager and it only wanted to install a CyanogenMod Rom I found that intresting... I'm about ready to call it a day with this thing, so If there is a way to get perm ROOT instead of temp please let me know

Thanks

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I think they have a ROM for this on their site if so I can slide-load the GE onto it and then you would have Market etc.. I am still testing this. If what the prior member is say is true then temp root is not the same as perm root. Root just going to give you more control over the device. If I decide to keep this tablet I going to ditch Borders bloat and free up some space. I see using my Root tools there is too much bloat for the eReader so I have that stuff set to Kill it on boot-up and during operations. I using PowerRoot 2010 Tools not available but only in the newer ROM builds (6 new ones posted)