Next3 8.4" (8.6") by Nextbook USA (Tablet & Ereader) with RockChip RK2818

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Meridian Player it rotates the videos. Home Screen default won't. Use Launcher Pro

runnomore

Dec 23, 2010
Thank you, tipstir. No one at Next3 responded to either of my emails. I'm going to return it; I was going to keep it although I received mine w/a defect but with that kind of customer service (I keep getting "All circuits are busy, please hang up and call back later"), I'm definitely looking elsewhere.

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
Well I got Market on this now running..!

Tipster.
OK spill the beans, how did you do this
I think that the N3 cut and chop of the Android 2.1 OS was so flaky that it actualy make the hardware crash.
Saw your picture of the flaky video and I think that the N3 is a loser.
I think that you are pushing your luck my unit is in the box ready to go back to HSN just did not get the time to go to the ups depot.
I orderd a interesting 7 inch with Cap screen and running 2.1 with a 800 rockchip will se if this will play well for me .
Happy New Year.
Radioman52

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well I guess I was the only one to get the Market to load.. More here There is another one called Applanet that replicates Market right down to the icons. Still on Next3 it still won't load. But then again the Applanet network seem down. I'll try it again. I even tried some root tools on this still nothing. EFUN makes the Next3 another small company that makes tablet top scanners for documents. Well another company that does that is Pandigital who makes Digital Picture Frames. I can't believe all us buying tablets from companies like this. I still think it's better to buy them from name brand like Cisco, Motorola, ACER an etc. Next3 on HSN site out of 5 starts it only got 2.5 ratting that's pretty low. It seems the Next3, Pandigital 9" and the rest are going back. Lots of revenue looses at HSN and QVC over these tablets. I guess I need to pack up the Next3 and wait for the 12 day return label to come from HSN since this one came from Oh Canada.

I'll just keep my eLocity A7 that now plays everything I got even Angry Birds. There is a site that has a bunch of games. One called Steel Shot. I was going to give it a shot..

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
It's going back in a few days until that return shipping label gets to me from vendor on request by HSN today. Since this was shipped from Canada to USA to me. Let they pay for shipping back without prepaid label would cost me. The final straw was the Next3 froze-up badly and now won't boot-up. After 4x Resets and 5x Factory resets this device not worth it. No video just audio. I have to agree with the prior member saying this OS 2.1 must be modified version for the Next3. The End

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
It's going back in a few days until that return shipping label gets to me from vendor on request by HSN today. Since this was shipped from Canada to USA to me. Let they pay for shipping back without prepaid label would cost me. The final straw was the Next3 froze-up badly and now won't boot-up. After 4x Resets and 5x Factory resets this device not worth it. No video just audio. I have to agree with the prior member saying this OS 2.1 must be modified version for the Next3. The End

Nice new Avatar, I kind if liked the old one but that is just me and it is a new year.

Now on to some serious stuff, I went to the UPS depot and they quoted me $19.85 as the cost to ship this four pound box to ONTARIO CANADA....
I must be getting soft in the head when I saw the box come in it registerd as California and NOT Canada Now I am a bit pi**ed at HSN they charged me sales tax and they shipped this from CANADA.
Never got anything from HSN before,Tipster can you fill me in on how to get the return label this is a bit much paying for a return and you have to pay a international rate since you are sending it back to the drop shipper.
Regards.
Radioman52

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Like with the Coby tablet MID7005-4G that gave me issues and not the MID7015-4G they're peddling now. That had arrived with no return shipping label. I am told that was sent by the vendor and not HSN. HSN had Coby send UPS here to pickup the at Coby cost. It did happen! So again now with Next3 same issue no return label. Again I complain with all the issues I am having with Next3. Again prepaid UPS label is being sent to me so I drop off the box at UPS Mail Box etc.. I just started to clean up the Next3 make it look neat stick it back into two boxes seal it up. Contact HSN and complain you tell them it's not working. DO NOT say I don't like and I don't want it? Right then you have to cough-up the cost to ship it back. As mine came from Canada also. I am not paying for it to be shipped back out of pocket. QVC the prepaid labels are USPS is attached to the box. But they deduct shipping cost from your refund bill. I don't care just take it back. Pandigital 9" is back with QVC marked as Returned along with that Cake Boss Cook Book. (Never used or open it). LOL

Last edited:

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
Like with the Coby tablet MID7005-4G that gave me issues and not the MID7015-4G they're peddling now. That had arrived with no return shipping label. I am told that was sent by the vendor and not HSN. HSN had Coby send UPS here to pickup the at Coby cost. It did happen! So again now with Next3 same issue no return label. Again I complain with all the issues I am having with Next3. Again prepaid UPS label is being sent to me so I drop off the box at UPS Mail Box etc.. I just started to clean up the Next3 make it look neat stick it back into two boxes seal it up. Contact HSN and complain you tell them it's not working. DO NOT say I don't like and I don't want it? Right then you have to cough-up the cost to ship it back. As mine came from Canada also. I am not paying for it to be shipped back out of pocket. QVC the prepaid labels are USPS is attached to the box. But they deduct shipping cost from your refund bill. I don't care just take it back. Pandigital 9" is back with QVC marked as Returned along with that Cake Boss Cook Book. (Never used or open it). LOL

Thanks Tipster.
Got a human on the phone and explained that the unit was crashing while reading a book, she indicated that they where having a lot of calls on the reboot issues, ship back label on the way (7 days) and the return clock has stoped.
Unit in box ready to GO.
Any way back to my trusty M001 and FlyTouch clones at least the M001 a bit long in the tooth and a tad slow has worked well with all of the diferent FW loads and the F/T is still being worked at with one of your early FW since I need the camera for one of my radio projects.
I just revived my Augen "The Book" and installed a whole bunch of new ebooks on it and I will use that as my dedicated E-Book reader that plays audio files in the background and even has a working talking book feature and it only cost $59 at the Kmart return section.
Regards.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I just do Live Chat with HSN CS. Good your label is coming. Flytouch is okay use one of my Rooted roms it will make life more better for you. Well for me know more tablets just keeping the two. Maylong M150A12 Rooted ROM RDX Turbo by tipstir with Market and Elocity A7 with Rooted ROM with Market. That's it for now. By the end of this year just have to see what comes out for a good price. $250 to $300.

joshgambit

Dec 30, 2010
I'm knocking on wood right now...

I will agree that the Android 2.1 looks to be a modified version. I did have an issue with it last week where it was stuck in a reboot loop, but I was able to fix it.

Maybe it's because this is my first tablet, or that I am excited to have something new to play with, but I really like the Next3.

I don't like the fact that it doesn't have Android Market installed, and I would like to have access to other, more popular apps. I would also like to upgrade the FBReader that comes installed, but I'm not able to at this time.

The thing that I keep thinking of is that many of these companies are putting these tablet/ereaders out to cater to the lowest common denominator. You have the non-tech crowd that wants a cheap tablet to read books and get online with it. Many of these tablets are not designed for the tech crowd. The other thing is that these companies are trying to cash in on the ipad/tablet/ereader craze going on right now. Many of them will be nothing more than a flash in the pan.

For what the Next3 does (reading/web/email/video/music), IMO, it does it well. I can play .mkv videos perfectly, listen to music while reading a book, light surfing, checking email...works well for me! It's too bad that so many other people have had problems with theirs.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Seems a lot of customers an including myself have many issues! The MPU performance was not up to par, but in all all these new small companies of off-shoot divisions are not popping up. I am lucky and not bragging but was able to returned those I had deem not ready for prime-time yet. Seems only the Maylong M150A12 out of 14 tablets was the only want that has stand the time.. For number 15 well no rush and I'll sit most out until the one that is deem to be fully functional and stable with a true Tablet OS and most of the glitches in hardware and software are finally worked out.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
That Ontario is actually California. I shipped mine back in a flat rate box usps.

Wow! CA found the return label but no prepiad label. Still waiting on that one. Funny I don't have this issue with QVC. Right now their peddling T301 7" dual core (660MHz) with CTS 4GB NAND for $186.96.