Nook Color: Proper Wallpaper Sizing

thh204

Feb 2, 2011
Hey Rico, how did you get the app shortcuts at the bottom of your screen there? And how did you get rid of the books that usually line the bottom of the screen? I just got a nook and went through the rooting process and love it so far, but I am quite new to this.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hey Rico, how did you get the app shortcuts at the bottom of your screen there? And how did you get rid of the books that usually line the bottom of the screen? I just got a nook and went through the rooting process and love it so far, but I am quite new to this.

Welcome and always great to meet a new Nookcolor owner. Don't worry about being new, we were all new once. :)

Install a launcher, like Zeam or Launcher Pro, to override the stock one that came with your NC. You can find them on the android market. Once installed you will have a clean homescreen, where you can place shortcuts, and widgets. To do so, once you have a launcher installed, long press on your homescreen, a menu will pop up, pick "add item".

....lol let me stop, I forgot I already made a tutorial for this. :)

See here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/3636-zeam-launcher-nook-color.html
Skip very first part since we all have the market now and no need to sideload the zeam app to your Nookcolr.

romeogg

Feb 3, 2011
I followed the instructions below but no luck. Never got the landscape cropping mode, only the portrait cropping mode. My NC is pre-rooted v1.1.

Tip: Many people have been complaining about wallpaper sizing when using a launcher. What they are talking about is, when picking a wallpaper the NC will sometimes not properly size your image and your wallpaper will turn out over stretched and pixelated.

Here is a way to avoid this problem.

-Lay your NC on a flat surface.
-Go back to stock launcher (NC stock home).
-Press and hold anywhere on home screen to pull up a menu (change wallpaper or clean up this panel).
-Press “change wallpaper”.
-Pick an image from your gallery (preferably larger than 1800 x 1024, will explain below).
-Now you will be asked to crop your image. You should notice the crop preview is in landscape mode, width will be more than the height. This is key to properly sizing the image.
-When satisfied with your crop, hit save.
-Done.
-Go back to your home screen and you should have properly sized wallpaper.
-Now you can go back to using the launcher of your choice.

Here is why people have a problem. They are typically picking a photo that is too small and only thinking of one screen.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I followed the instructions below but no luck. Never got the landscape cropping mode, only the portrait cropping mode. My NC is pre-rooted v1.1.

IMO, the 1.1 update fixed the wallpaper sizing issues and following this tutorial is no longer needed if on software version 1.1. On my NC w/1.1 update, it only gives to landscape now, no matter how you hold the device (which is what I wanted it to do before). Hope how I explained that makes sense. :)

romeogg

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know why, but the cropping window is always in portrait mode for me. I can use dolphin HD browser to set a wallpaper in the correct size/mode. But if I save the picture and set it manually with the gallery app, it crops the image in the portrait mode.

IMO, the 1.1 update fixed the wallpaper sizing issues and following this tutorial is no longer needed if on software version 1.1. On my NC w/1.1 update, it only gives to landscape now, no matter how you hold the device (which is what I wanted it to do before). Hope how I explained that makes sense. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You can always download Wallpaper Set & Save and it will handle your pictures...if you look in the root forum, we have a thread about wallpapers, ways to set them, apps to alter them, etc.

QueenBooks

Mar 18, 2011
I am very new to this, so bear with me. But how did you switch it from vertical to landscape? No matter what I do, I can't seem to do it unless I am missing something here? Thanks

Walkabout

Aug 29, 2011
There is simple way to set wallpaper in proper size and format.

You just have to put the image in "media\MyFiles\Wallpapers" directory and choose it from "Wallpapers" tab in Nook color Settings (Home->Set Wallpaper).

No cropping, orientation, etc. needed. if the original image sized properly, it will be good in portrait and landscape

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
This info is useless to those with Nook2Android cards. They can't switch to the Nook Stock and back again without rebooting. Wallpaper Set and Save is also useless-it's for Android 1.0 only-the developer never bothered to update it. I gave up trying to use my own wallpapers a long time ago. It's a shame it has to be so ridiculously difficult.

Last edited: