NOOKcolor Owners thread

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
$11-02-08-8.png

I thought I would add mine to the mix.

Gorilla72

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for clearing up the INTERNAL on the Breadboard Memory question. I did find the internal breakdown soon after I posted, so no go on upgrading the ON THE BOARD memory. Thanks for the help! Next thing, anyone else notice that 2.2 and 3.0 run REALLY slow when booting off the card (even a Class 10)? I'm trying to install 2.2 internally, but for some reason I can't get ADB to notice the damn thing! I'm using a MAC. I might put it all back to stock and try to re-root (noot) and start over. I think 2.2 is the way to go right now. any thoughts or anyone else try this?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Cant speak for 2.2 on the NC, although any 2.1, 2.2 I've ever ran off sd was not the same as when loaded to internal ram. I'd have to say 3.0 off sd card boots pretty fast on the NC. The performance once booted, not so the best but as could be expected from a preview ROM and no kernel control. Who's class 10 sd do you have since not all sd cards are created equal, I've seen some class 10's that were not as fast as some 4's & 6's.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I am using Transcend Class 6 8gb cards, and I think my Honeycomb preview v3 runs pretty well considering its from sd and as Rico said, not exactly optimized yet.

Gorilla72

Feb 7, 2011
Well, at any rate, I want to update the interanal memory to 2.2 anyway. And wait for a CLEAN 3.0, to also install internal. As I look around the boards there are so many different roots, hacks, tips, tricks, people are doing, many to obtain the same results, that it makes my head spin. All I really want is to have it setup so that it looks very simliar to my Epic 4g, and I can surf quickly, and install apps, and game emulators at will. Nothing too fancy. O and did I mention overclock? lol. I think I'm going to put it back to square one tonight, and start over and work at getting 2.2 internal. I could care less about the Book Reading fuctions. Rather be surfing "Danica Patrick" then reading a book.. lol

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Well, at any rate, I want to update the interanal memory to 2.2 anyway. And wait for a CLEAN 3.0, to also install internal. As I look around the boards there are so many different roots, hacks, tips, tricks, people are doing, many to obtain the same results, that it makes my head spin. All I really want is to have it setup so that it looks very simliar to my Epic 4g, and I can surf quickly, and install apps, and game emulators at will. Nothing too fancy. O and did I mention overclock? lol. I think I'm going to put it back to square one tonight, and start over and work at getting 2.2 internal. I could care less about the Book Reading fuctions. Rather be surfing "Danica Patrick" then reading a book.. lol

Believe me, I agree with you. However, I do caution you. There is a reason there is not a SIMPLE (relatively speaking) method for anything 2.2 or higher yet - it's not stable enough for prime time every day use. If you are developing or very comfortable with tweaking, maybe, but it's not recommended.

So far, only 2.1 is being used daily without constant tweaks. I have not found a 2.2 that is ready for 'daily' labels just yet. But believe me, it won't be long.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

Danica Patrick is awesome! Be very careful with 2.2 right now, it is not exactly stable yet. And if you screw up your internal memory you will have some work ahead in fixing it. Just my opinion but, I would recommend using autonooter method first, see how you like it. Then install clockwork and overclock, make backups, and their is even a clockwork flashable froyo rom if you want to be risky and try it. Froyo may also require you to install the market through ADB at this time. The nooks version of Android 2.1 (autonooter) is very functional and works well...this is coming from a guy (me) that always has to have the latest and greatest froyo or gingerbread rom on my Droid. So I hate to be long winded but take caution with Froyo.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for clearing up the INTERNAL on the Breadboard Memory question. I did find the internal breakdown soon after I posted, so no go on upgrading the ON THE BOARD memory. Thanks for the help! Next thing, anyone else notice that 2.2 and 3.0 run REALLY slow when booting off the card (even a Class 10)? I'm trying to install 2.2 internally, but for some reason I can't get ADB to notice the damn thing! I'm using a MAC. I might put it all back to stock and try to re-root (noot) and start over. I think 2.2 is the way to go right now. any thoughts or anyone else try this?

As others have said 2.1 is stable and fast even with the stock clocking (overclocking is certainly faster though). If you want a capable android tablet with functioning Market and a great deal of working apps 2.1 is where it is at right now.

As far as honeycomb running from a card the fastest I have found is the Honeybunches 2GB version. It runs much, much faster than the other Honeycombs I tried. Market is there but I never got the apps to download and install (stuck on download). If using this version for web surfing and email it will work just fine and nearly as fast as the internal loads. Unfortunately not having the ability to install apps makes it rather useless for me compared to the fully functioning 2.1.

-JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1 degree? Brrrrr. I guess the Packers win is keeping you warm up there though.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
I haven't done anything stupid to my NC for at least 18 hours now. To avoid doing anything stupid for the next 24 hours, can anyone point me to a good tutorial or written directions on how to use Clockwork Mod? That is what keeps getting me in trouble - backups and restores! I really don't want to mess with it again until I understand better how to use it. I am currently at 1.1 rooted and everything seems to be working fine.

Sue