Note taking application iPad Noteshelf equivalent

Streamerke

Sep 17, 2011
Dear,

I am an Android user since I bought an HTC Desire phone last year.

I am now looking into a tablet. I do not yet have one but I am planning on buying one in the next few months.

I am starting to get worried though when I look into the available apps. They do not seem to cover my needs.

The primary reason I want to buy a tablet is productivity. As a consultant I have a lot of meetings and I am carrying a lot of notes taken during these meetings. When on the train I want to be able to write down my ideas. Handwriting is an absolute must just like other sources (audio, photo's, ... I also need to combine these in one document). I also need to be able to file and organise all notes.

Now, I have seen an impressive application on the iPad,
. I am looking for an Android equivalent but I cannot find one...?

The closest I have seen is Springpad. But there is no handwriting option which is an absolute must for me. Otherwise I might just as well bring my laptop to the meetings.

Is there anything that comes close on the Android market? I cannot seem to find it.

I really do not want to buy an iPad as I want to stick to Android but I must say that I am astonished to see that a need that I considered to be very basic might not be covered.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

paulsam7

Aug 29, 2011
I am carrying a lot of notes taken during these meetings. Handwriting is an absolute must just like other sources (audio, photo's, ... I also need to combine these in one document). I also need to be able to file and organise all notes.

Now, I have seen an impressive application on the iPad, I am looking for an Android equivalent but I cannot find one...?

The closest I have seen is Springpad. But there is no handwriting option which is an absolute must for me. Otherwise I might just as well bring my laptop to the meetings.

Is there anything that comes close on the Android market? I cannot seem to find it.

I did a little searching, and it looks like Niji might do the trick for you:
Niji - Android

Streamerke

Sep 17, 2011
Thanks, I tried Niji in the mean time, but it is not by far as good as Noteshelf for iPad.

I spent a few hours looking for other apps yesterday but I did not come across a decent equivalnt of Noteshelf.

I will postpone the purchase of a tablet for a while but someday in the future I will buy one. The none existance of a Noteshelf equivalent is a showstopper for me. If there is no alternative I will buy an iPad.

frankog

Jul 9, 2011
You can get exactly what you want by buying the HTC Flyer 7in android tab and optional stylus. It comes with the Evernote app built in. Write notes in Evernote and they are automatically saved to the cloud and can be tagged and searched. You can also save pics and pdfs as notes:

HTC Tablets and Evernote « Evernote Blogcast

JustTed

Sep 19, 2011
Dear,

I am an Android user since I bought an HTC Desire phone last year.

I am now looking into a tablet. I do not yet have one but I am planning on buying one in the next few months.

I am starting to get worried though when I look into the available apps. They do not seem to cover my needs.

The primary reason I want to buy a tablet is productivity. As a consultant I have a lot of meetings and I am carrying a lot of notes taken during these meetings. When on the train I want to be able to write down my ideas. Handwriting is an absolute must just like other sources (audio, photo's, ... I also need to combine these in one document). I also need to be able to file and organise all notes.

Now, I have seen an impressive application on the iPad,
. I am looking for an Android equivalent but I cannot find one...?

I hear you on not wanting to switch to iPad. Nothing wrong with the iPad, I would rather stick to android. I had the same issue with the writing apps. The iPad app you posted is really impressive. The closest I've seen to that are:

PenSupremacy
And maybe TabNotes

[h=1][/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Welcome to the forum Streamerke. Looking at the apps recommended by frankog and JustTed, it seems any of the three they suggested would "cover your needs". Maybe I just don't understand exactly what you're looking for.:)

Streamerke

Sep 17, 2011
Welcome to the forum Streamerke. Looking at the apps recommended by frankog and JustTed, it seems any of the three they suggested would "cover your needs". Maybe I just don't understand exactly what you're looking for.:)

Hang on a second, give me some time to reflect and respond... sometimes people need to go to work to be able to even buy a tablet :)

Anyway, I did not yet see anything that comes close to noteshelf. Each app proposed has good features but do not cover all needs, e.g.

Tabnotes: does not seem to cover voice recording, certainly not time stamped audio...
Pensupremacy: same

Except HTC Notes. From what I can see on the HTC website this app probably is the closest I have seen to Noteshelf and my even surpass it in some areas.

I am happy to see that my needs will finally be covered. One doubt though, I guess the HTS notes app will be HTC only. And I want a large tablet, a 10" one. It seems the HTC Jetstream may be the deal for me except it is quite expensive.

Anyway thanks all for your help. I feel I got a good idea now what to expect from Andriod tablets. I do not dislike Apple but now that I already have an Android phone (HTC Desire) that I like I prefer to have an Android tablet as well.

Seville

Oct 26, 2011
I know what you mean, I've tried noteshelf on the iPad and was using for a while but I didn't like the capacitative pen input. It is brilliant for its colours and the ability to increase/reduce resolution (zoom mode) so that it looks just fine on the notes. It has an "anti-palming" function or allows u to write close to the bottom of the screen. It has fantastic organizers formats, from simple lined pages to meeting notes, day diaries etc. I bought the HTC flyer thinking it has a better pen input, but the evernote that comes with it lacks the other functionalities of noteshelf and I'm still looking for a suitable alternative on the android.

I'm currently on One-Note for it's handwriting recognition and it's extensive organizing and searching capabilities. Am even looking at other alternatives such as digimemo, lovescribe pens and another paperless alternative, the boogie board. I figured the ultimate will be the combi of noteshelf and one-note.

For now... Am still searching...

letmefly

Nov 3, 2011
Have u tried Freenote from flyable? Its the best note taking app i have been using.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum