Offering xbmc assistance

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
As most know we have HDMI out and xbmc for android just came out. I've been working for past two weeks with this software on my TV stick. So if anyone has any questions or is stuck I'd be happy to try to help. Rather then cobble together a guide I figured I'd see if any interest first.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
If you get the free Hulu site to work, I am very interested in learning how. I read it is done on other platforms. I tried XBMC, and had mixed results. Sometimes zip files seemed to install okay but then the components inside did not appear as options.

Aciago

Mar 4, 2013
Uh! Thank you. I'll take the offer... Two questions. Where is the apk (I don't see it at Google Play) and how do I configure it to use the remote app to remote control from en android iPhone?

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
If you get the free Hulu site to work, I am very interested in learning how. I read it is done on other platforms. I tried XBMC, and had mixed results. Sometimes zip files seemed to install okay but then the components inside did not appear as options.

Will do I haven't messed with hulu too much cause of subscription and advertising, off the cuff is say grab the xbmchub stuff I saw hulu in there (not android apk) to do so if your using a vanilla install go to http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/official-xbmc-hub-repo/ download that zip. Install it. Goto addons then get more, select new repo. Install under video xbmchub maintenance and whatever else you want. Now go into the maintenance add on under video, this will make life easier. With that you can hit the download all repos which is a huge time saver, also install fusion installer. Fusion has a bit more risque add one, you find it under install from zip. I believe the hulu stuff is in blucops add one or fusion but I saw em there. Make sure you are checking the context menu if an add on doesn't work, pressing c on keyboard/remote or menu. Checkout 1channel, navi-x, and ice films.. hulu will prob be furthest thing from your mind. Can even download from ice films.

Uh! Thank you. I'll take the offer... Two questions. Where is the apk (I don't see it at Google Play) and how do I configure it to use the remote app to remote control from en android iPhone?

If your doing a fresh install this should give you a leg up. http://xbmc-android.googlecode.com/...-6e29ebbdf5edb60af2874f5b02afd178e1dc8940.apk

That apk has a ton of the work done for you. As well as some android specific coding/addons you can't find otherwise. If that disinterests you goto WWW.xbmcandroid.com and under downloads sift for the one that has hwaccel in title.

For the remote under system-settings-services enable these options
Webserver on, can leave xbmc as default user and 8080 port. Allow other programs to control xbmc, do same in upnp tab. If using the official remote this makes config easier, a tip too for that remote is in options tick send single keystroke and delay repeating. Otherwise it tends to get "stuck" going one way and its really annoying.

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
Oh few more things in general. Download archos video and mxplayer. They are good external players with how decoding. That is important if you want to play local media, if your just streaming don't worry about it. The default xbmc player "DVD player" can handle streaming no prob. But if you get into high quality local files over samba it will crap its pants because it does all software decoding. That is remedied with archos or MX.

Also if anyone knows how to get ROM browser to launch emulators for android I'd appreciate it. Or how to write a python script to do it.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Will do I haven't messed with hulu too much cause of subscription and advertising, off the cuff is say grab the xbmchub stuff I saw hulu in there (not android apk) to do so if your using a vanilla install go to OFFICIAL XBMC HUB REPO download that zip. Install it. Goto addons then get more, select new repo. Install under video xbmchub maintenance and whatever else you want. Now go into the maintenance add on under video, this will make life easier. With that you can hit the download all repos which is a huge time saver, also install fusion installer. Fusion has a bit more risque add one, you find it under install from zip. I believe the hulu stuff is in blucops add one or fusion but I saw em there. Make sure you are checking the context menu if an add on doesn't work, pressing c on keyboard/remote or menu. Checkout 1channel, navi-x, and ice films.. hulu will prob be furthest thing from your mind. Can even download from ice films.

I did the install from there and went through steps to get blucops, which is what I had read elsewhere would work. I had no luck with it. I tried some of the others and usually got time outs. A few times I would get offered what appeared to be pirated videos and did not try to stream those.

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
I did the install from there and went through steps to get blucops, which is what I had read elsewhere would work. I had no luck with it. I tried some of the others and usually got time outs. A few times I would get offered what appeared to be pirated videos and did not try to stream those.

When you say no luck do you mean it was empty? If so what you want to do is hit menu on the repo c on keyboard, right click etc NOT add on settings, the option you want is called force refresh. That should populate it.

Yes there are what you are referring to as pirated videos on there, they aren't going to hurt your tablet if you wanted to watch them. Ice films can even mimic a local file and add to library. Nice and handy.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Yes, I mean it was empty. I may try that again. I am not concerned about pirated videos hurting the tablets; that isn't the point. I won't argue why I have decided to obey the law, but that is my decision.

Aciago

Mar 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your help stal2k... xbmc up and running on my IdeaTab and remote controled with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus... :)