Other infoTMIC 10" tablets getting "official" update to 2.2

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
The ICAN! Tablet PC, similar to the Sylvania 10-inch Magni Tablet - SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP), now has an "official" update to Android 2.2 (Froyo).

Credit: dlzc - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...grade-their-flytouch-ii-clone.html#post113406

What is most interesting is they are the first distributor of infoTMIC powered tablets to post instructions for the InfoTM Update Wrap Tools (IUW.exe). As an option they will send either an update SD card or USB cable for a fee.

In addition, they provide an application to Root the tablet to install a custom "ICAN Update application". Warning: Do Not Install these applications. GingerBreak is detailed at xda-developers. The "ICAN Update application" is pulling files stored at Inside My Cookbook! which seem like an odd spot in support of a commercial product.

Please note the following: You will need a Windows computer that is 32-bit based, as well a male-to-male USB cable. If you do not have these items please contact upgradeATican.us.com to have a TF card sent to your address within 24 hours of receipt, or you can purchase a male-to-male cable from ICAN! for a one time fee of $5.00 (please let us know which option you would like via e-mail, as well if you would like the TF card let us know if you have the square or circle version.).

Please follow the below instructions to install the update.
The upgrading is as follows: (please unzip the file before beginning with instructions below)

1. Make sure your device in the off position and press the Menu button and the power button at the same until your tablet displays a "communication with pc" notification. (Note: You will need to have the USB cable connected to PC and the top USB slot on the tablet.)

2. Open the "IUS Burner" folder, click"IUW.exe" (Please note: On first run your computer will prompt to install drivers for the table which can be found in "IUS Burner" folder under "otg_driver" folder.)

3. Choose LINK USB MODE: select "Easy Burn".

4. Choose a wrapped image : Browse to downloaded folder, choose "ICANV2655.ius", and click OK.

5. Press the burn button at the bottom of the IUW application.(The application will now burn Android 2.2 onto your tablet, please allow 3-4 minutes for this process to complete.)

6. You will now be asked to press the back button to restart the tablet and boot into Android 2.2.

7. Once you have reached the home screen please connect you tablet to the Wi-Fi and send your browser to the following URL: h--p://www4.ican.us.com/upgrade/IcanUpdater.apk, also please download this file as well h--p://www4.ican.us.com/upgrade/Gingerbreak.apk.

8. Now that you have both files downloaded please open the "My Pad" application and navigate to the folder titled "download", once there click the Gingerbreak.apk twice (you will now be prompted to install, please do so). Once you have the application open please choose the option "Root device", once completed your tablet will restart.

9. Your tablet should now be able to install the ICAN Update application, please go to "My Pad" choose the "download" folder and choose to install IcanUpdate.apk, once you have done so please go back to your app drawer and open the ICAN application. Once this has been completed your tablet will go through a series of updates and optimizations, and from time to time you will receive minor updates.

10. You have now completed the upgrade process to Android 2.2 and we hope you enjoy your update.
Both updates display FileNum: 1.6.1.5.1 however, per the site there are two specific tablets (square or circle version) thus confirming using the incorrect InfoTM Update Wrap (.ius) file may cause irreparable damage (brick) to the device.

V2655\ICANV2655.ius
Wrap Information:
Code:
Company: InfoTM
Board:      error
FileNum:   1.6.1.5.1.1
Size:        73 MB

Image List:
UBOOT (239 KB)
RD (165 KB)
LK (2623 KB)
ADR_USER (4.5 KB)
ADR_AS (72338.5 KB)
U0 (270.5 KB) [COLOR=#0000ff]< u-boot-nand.bin 2009.08-svn[B]672[/B] (Mar 11 2011 - 06:40:06) Notice U0 is out of order in this file[/COLOR]

V2005\ICANV2005.ius
Wrap Information:
Code:
Company: InfoTM
Board:      error
FileNum:   1.6.1.5.1.1
Size:        73 MB

Image List:
U0 (271 KB) [COLOR=#0000ff]< u-boot-nand.bin 2009.08-svn[B]672[/B] (Mar 11 2011 - 06:40:06)[/COLOR]
UBOOT (239 KB)
RD (165 KB)
LK (2623 KB)
ADR_USER (4.5 KB)
ADR_AS (72338.5 KB)

Caution: These update files are not Sylvania specific and using the incorrect InfoTM Update Wrap (.ius) file may cause irreparable damage (brick) to the device.

Work In Progress - Investigating the two applications (.apk) and update files (.ius).

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

New Update Method: ICAN Updater application - An attempt to fix the existing broken infoTM Over The Air (OTA) update process by gaining Root to enable application run as a Listener to provide a notification of when an update is available.

Snippet of code with some debugging built in the application.
Code:
 "CREATE TABLE userinfo (_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,update_id TEXT);"
    .parameter "db"
    .parameter "oldVersion"
    .parameter "newVersion"

logcat -d > /data/local/tmp/tmplogcat.txt

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Ok so this update is not for SYTAB10MT.
Patience ....

Thanks Cfrockit
Yes NOT and update to apply! Patience is a virtue and very necessary with these updates.

There are two different Hardware ID's "hwver" identified for the SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP). While one versions "hwver" is sequentially similar to an update there has been very little rhyme or reason to how infoTMIC names these updates.

We do know from Version 1.2 of the InfoTM Update Wrap Tools (IUW.exe) that the first digit represents the Company however, the board 6,1,5 is not identified. Also the U0 "u-boot-nand.bin" is a different version and burning the wrong U0 image seems to be the major cause of most reported brick tablets.

Therefore, even just test burning it to see if it works comes with the risk of bricking the tablet. Patience ....

SYTAB10MT (SYNET10LP) Hardware ID's "hwver"
Code:
"hwver"                  FileNum:         U0 "u-boot-nand.bin"
11.6.3.1                 11.6.3.1.2.0     2009.08-svn678 (Mar 14 2015 - 09:59:41)
11.[B]6.1.5[/B]                 11.[B]6.1.5.2.0[/B]     2009.08-svn[B]678[/B] (Mar 14 2015 - 09:55:48)

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Cfrockit, mine also came with #3925 installed. Also, rgocal is very close to coming up with a fully funcioning recovery and a vast rewrite of the Launcher for the SAWEE 10 tabs. I'd say you should PM him and see if you can assist. He's trying to figure out how to wrap the image file for the recovery.

Sent from a disparaged guy with a SuperPAD...another happy customer.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
GOOD NEWS --- I think

Just got the over-the-air update this morning on my 10" Sylvania Magni-Tablet.

Previous version Android DG3.2.0
New Version Android DG2.2.1-10a1

Hardware ID was/is 11.6.1.5

The update took about 45 minutes and so far it seems to be working fine, now I just need to re-root, clean out the junk (again) and reload my apps.

manupriyam

Jan 19, 2013
Guys, where can I download the official update for ICAN 10 tablet. Mine is still functioning but very basic. Also I would be grateful if I can get complete instructions on how to update my andriod version. I am newbie here. Cheers Manu