Pandigital Novel

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The CPU sucks. It really sucks. That's why they put it in an Ebook reader.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I have to retract my statement about this CPU. Not that this CPU is going to surprise anyone, but it's not as bad as I thought.

Looks like they changed the amount of RAM in the v2 though. They used to shop with 256, and it now looks like they ship with 128MB. That's not so good.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
What about the wireless in this device? Any internal shots like we have for AuGen Gentouch 78?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The wireless reception is supposed to be very weak. People are trying to mod the device by attaching an antenna.

By the way, specs:

Specifications
(from Pandigital and various sources)
7" 800x600 TFT-LCD Resistive touchscreen
Samsung S3C6410 ARM11 at 800MHz
256MB RAM (v1)
Android 2.0
1GB internal memory
External SD/SDHC slot
2.5mm headphone jack
Mini-USB port
1 year warranty
Up to 6 hours of battery life in reading mode

KodiakEd

Jul 14, 2010
Did you get one of the new versions or the old one? I'm waiting for the new one but I haven't seen any released yet.

I got the white version (the black ones are not out yet and haven't been hacked - to my knowledge). Thanks to the folks on slatedroid, I was able to hack this and get a new launcher, the market and many, many apps installed on it. There are still a few quicks with it, but for the $$, I have a 7" android tablet that can do most of the same things my Moto Droid can do (minus the 3G functions).

Well worth the investment (money and time)!! :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I was reading on Slatedroid that the 'new' one has half the RAM according to FCC docs. But we'll see how that plays out when there's actually a hands on.

How is this thing for video playback? Does the Youtube app work?

KodiakEd

Jul 14, 2010
YouTube does work (after some tinkering). I haven't played any videos, but have read there are some issues with the 8_6 firmware update. I'm still running the 7_24 version, but will be upgrading soon. I need to get it back from my wife and she enjoys it too much. ;)

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
I picked one up from Khols last week. Took it back the same day. I am not an expert like many on this board but I do know a POS when I am holding it in my hand. And believe me mine was a POS. It had the firmware upgrade as discussed above. Continually went to a bright blank screen and locked up. Sometimes it would lock up with a black screen and other times just lock up with what ever was on the screen at the time. Would lose the Wifi signal if it were more than 15 feet from the source. I see others complaining about the same defects on other forums, especially the white screen of death lock up which required a reset and the Wifi problem. I see other people are doing just fine with theirs so I guess it depends on the individual unit you get. As for me I will take a pass on it until I think all problems are resolved.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It does take quite a bit of tinkering, but once you get around that it sounds like it can be a solid device at the right price. The ability to return the product is a plus.

KodiakEd

Jul 14, 2010
Until there are established players in the market (ie, Samsung, Motorola and others like them) these experiments will have to do. If you are not willing to deal with some of the nuances, then go ahead and spend the $$ on an iPad or wait until the bugs have been worked out before getting in. I am too impatient to wait for the big guys to get their acts together and release a decent challenger to the iPad, so I'll deal with the little imperfections. It is a learning ground from my perspective.

I don't want to spend the $$ for an iPad, nor do I want to be hand-tied based on their architecture. When a better alternative comes along, I will surely spend the $$ to get the machine I want, but in the meantime I have a unit that I can play/learn with right now.

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
I agree with what you say. The point I was making is that mine didn't work. I couldn't learn a thing because it never allowed me to move from one app to another without locking up. Not much you can learn from a brick. It didn't work poorly....it just didn't work! I could never afford an Ipad as I am on a fixed income. And for the same reason I can't afford to pay $149 for a door stop. (Well it wouldn't work at that either considering weight and size ) ;-) If I could just get my hands on one I know will work I'm in. Like Xaueious said...I could take it back.. that's a good thing. Otherwise I would just buy one for $99 from ebay or one of the Chinese sites. I have a rain check for the model K-mart sells (Augen?) so I will try it. I do want it mainly for and e-reader. I have a Kindle but an Android based tablet would give me more formats to choose from.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well good you can take it back to the store without having to get upset about doing so. I would have like to test this one but after reading some of the feedback I had decided to take a step out. Better stuff is coming just have to give it time. If you want to buy Gentouch 78 cheap $152 or $169. But you can do a lot with it. If your a Windows OS guy then you might want the new Toshbia tablet dual 7" multi-touch 1024x600 with 1.2GHz, 2GB of RAM 62GB SSD on Windows OS 7 HOPM. Price is high I hope it does come down.

KodiakEd

Jul 14, 2010
I agree with what you say. The point I was making is that mine didn't work. I couldn't learn a thing because it never allowed me to move from one app to another without locking up. Not much you can learn from a brick. It didn't work poorly....it just didn't work! I could never afford an Ipad as I am on a fixed income. And for the same reason I can't afford to pay $149 for a door stop. (Well it wouldn't work at that either considering weight and size ) ;-) If I could just get my hands on one I know will work I'm in. Like Xaueious said...I could take it back.. that's a good thing. Otherwise I would just buy one for $99 from ebay or one of the Chinese sites. I have a rain check for the model K-mart sells (Augen?) so I will try it. I do want it mainly for and e-reader. I have a Kindle but an Android based tablet would give me more formats to choose from.

No problem. If there was a problem with the one you got, you might consider giving another one a chance. It does seem that there are good and bad ones.

I am very happy with the one I have; it won't suit everyone the same as we all have our own opinions. If you do get the Augen GT, I hope it works out well for you. The only thing I have heard about it is that Google is suing them because they were using the Market illegally out of the box.

I completely agree that the best thing at this time is to go with a domestic reseller as it makes the return, update and customer support processes much easier.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Google OS is opensource (free) and the apps are too unless have a price tag on them. Vendors have to pay a price those. So Augen just stuck the OS and apps on without the extra commission to Google. So Google didn't get a piece of the action. GT78 makes a fine e-reader, youtube video player. Still you can monitor your network gear status and do other things. This PanDigital seems cool enough to buy and then use the tweaks to make it into something like a tablet.