Picasa video app

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
Picasa video

Hi. Does anyone know of an app that allows me to play (stream) videos that i have stored on picasa web album? Thanks

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Good news. I just checked the Android Gallery (com.cooliris.media.apk) and it displays both Picasa photos and videos. It works great, though for some odd reason pinch-zoom doesn't. :( Let me know if your Picasa stuff doesn't show up in the gallery and I can give you some pointers.

If you don't have a copy, this link looks good: com.cooliris.media.apk

-Matt

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
Hey. Im having problem viwlewing the videos through the nook. Is it that i don't have the right codec?
I can view the videos via my droid x but not the nook color. Did you install some sort of coded to be able to play this video files from picasa web?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Can you describe what happens on the Nook? Do they show up in the Gallery? Do you get an error message when they play?

-Matt

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
When i click on the video that i want to play i get a pop up message saying" sorry this video cannot be played".
I think thhat it might he due to the book video player inability to play certain video files....when i try to download other video apps i can't select which video player app to use to play the videos. Only when i download rockplayer am i able to choose betwween the stock nook player ne rockplayer but the videos slow to a crawl when using rockplayer.

How are you playing your bids from picasa

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
This is getting interesting! The video I uploaded to Picasa is an AVI container, with an MP4 codec. I'm pretty sure it won't play natively on the Nook (I will try it though). I figured that Picasa transcodes and streams it...I'd guess it's the same format at Youtube videos, since those work (and we know it's not using Flash). I'm really not sure why it works on my Nook! Tell me that youtube is working OK for you, right?

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, here's a meaningful test: can you create a short video clip that runs on your Nook (mp4 format), then upload it to Picasa for testing?

-Matt

snookiecolor

Dec 24, 2010
I think it is the nook color. The same videos can play on my droidx fine but not on the nook. Interesting. ...
Now. How do i fix this....haha. oh well

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
hmm i wonder if picassa automatically transcodes videos to flash - might explain why they are not playing

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
hmm i wonder if picassa automatically transcodes videos to flash - might explain why they are not playing
It's a good guess...but then, why does it work for me? I wish I could somehow "sniff the packet" and detect the format. ;)

Can you give it a try?

-Matt