Poor build quality? Many Nooks replaced several times?!

illdill

Jan 8, 2011
Damn, sorry to hear that.

I should clarify my description, in case anyone misunderstood. This wasn't "backlight bleed." It was a clear, distinct line, like something you might draw in a paint program. It also ran perpendicular to the edge of the screen, not near or parallel with it. It actually wasn't noticeable, except on white screens. LIKE WHEN you're READING! :)

And another thing! I think the NookColor is an awesome device. I don't know what the failure/defect rate is, and at this point I'm not really concerned. I am confident that #3 will be the one I keep. (For the record, I don't even remember--other than the Nook--the last device I've taken back to a store. Oh wait...I returned a plasma TV to Sams in 2006, a week after I bought it, because they wouldn't price match Amazon. I begged them to, but they said "Just return it and buy the cheaper one from Amazon!" WTH?)

-Matt

This is a little off topic but, no store will match price with amazon or any other online store who doesn't have a store front.

Besides that has anyone experienced while reading pages flipping without any command? While my girlfriend reads she says randomly the NC will go crazy and start flipping pages and do crazy things

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
This is a little off topic but, no store will match price with amazon or any other online store who doesn't have a store front.

Not entirely true - Guitar Center matched a deal from Amazon for me after the purchase.

Besides that has anyone experienced while reading pages flipping without any command? While my girlfriend reads she says randomly the NC will go crazy and start flipping pages and do crazy things

Try calibrating the screen - it worked for me. I was considering returning mine after experiencing "ghost presses" but after a calibration I can now use it even when the USB is plugged in and no more double letters or ghostes :)

I should also add that the build on mine is not the greatest. I have some backlight bleed near the nook button. It creaks on the left side because the top bezel is loose and there's a bit of dust under the screen. But none of these things warrant a return for me - I'm afraid I'll get one with worse problems.

Last edited:

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Well, finally received my NC, overall I'm happy except light leaking around the bottom edge of the screen.
I'm sure my folks wont notice so I'm not worry about it :)
Now if I can just figure out how to install Smart keyboard on it ...

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks Matt, I have it working now, I had to set the permissions using Root explorer.
Now I'm trying to install two languages.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Matt, I have it working now, I had to set the permissions using Root explorer.
Now I'm trying to install two languages.
Wait a second....are you Québécois??? I didn't pick up on the accent at all, eh? ;)

I'm really itching to go pick up a new one...it's not quite the wait that you went through, but I'm feeling the withdrawal symptoms. You know what gets me most?...I see something on the forum like "here's a neat trick" and then I reach over to try it, and the Nook ISN'T THERE!!! How sad. It's just not the same on my Droid.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, wanted to check back in now that I have my third (this time from B&N). First impressions after a few hours:

- Screen is FLAWLESS. No stuck pixels (yet, anyway) and no LED defects like the last one
- No bulge behind USB like the first, BUT getting the cable in is rather tough (lots of resistance)

I really do think there is a wonky power issue...I tried to register as it was charging (it was near 90% charged OOB), and every time I left the wifi setup screen it lost the connection. So, simply unplugged--rock solid connection--registered, and plugged back in. ;) No worries. But in addition to the wild keyboard phenomenon (I think JackOnan called them "ghost" touches), this suggests something might be up with those 1.9 gigajoules or jigawatts (or whatever) that the Nook wants while charging. Bet you $5 we see a change in the power draw on the second generation (maybe between 500-1000mA?).

Anyway, I'm on my way to rooting. Done it so many times, I should put up an eBay ad, a Craigslist ad, and a Youtube video and start charging people $50 to root theirs (inside joke)!

-Matt

Last edited:

APHawki

Jan 13, 2011
, this suggests something might be up with those 1.9 gigajoules or jigawatts (or whatever)t

You know how hard it is NOT to make some kind of Back to the Future comment here?? Yeah...not easy. Maybe you need to be running at 88 miles an hour with it or something?

sambking

Jan 23, 2011
1st issue with NookColor: the frame around the screen was loose.

2nd issue with NookColor: charging plug would not plug into Nook easily. (Girl in charge of returns at Bricktown, NJ Barnes & Noble gave me a hard time about it and said that it was not a problem with the Nook itself. They were not going to refund my money at first but then they changed their mind. They must have thought that I would be the type of person to make waves with their boss or with B&N corporate. I was calm about the whole thing and let them do all the talking. But, if this was their suspicion, they were right. I would have complained to everyone I could have. They refunded my money and I then went to the Freehold, NJ Barnes & Nobles and bought my third. The frame on this 3rd one is loose as well but only in one spot.)

I have a 3rd generation Kindle as well and the build quality of this is perfect. A nice, solid device like Apple products.

I hope that B&N reads these reviews and considers the user feedback and makes their product better. It really is a great device. I am looking forward to what the future holds for these "mini - computers." They are so convenient and really make ones life better. Keep the competition alive! Long live the voluntary and free market!

Myth

Aug 25, 2010
I have had no issues at all with my Nook Color. It's been great since the day I got it in my hot little hands.

I bet I'm in the vast majority too.