[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
"If you can join the irc channel #anroidtablets on freenode I might be able to help out."

Don't have a clue what that is..lol... Feel free to PM me.

Should I just reflash and start from scratch? I was a little disheartened, went to bed, and now I am ready to work at it again.

Here's what's left. Look's like all original native apps. I do have the stock browser-phone-messaging, calendar, memo,messaging,email,gmail,youtube,facebook,twidroyd,videos,music,gallery,camera, camcorder,voice search,settings, calculator.

Everything else is on one of the sd cards. My brain is scrambled now.

Disk E looks like all apks I added as android robot boxes- and 2 folders- an empty LOST.DIR and a music folder with my music.

Disc F- This this is the internal card- since my aldiko books are there with lots of folders- some empty and some not- My titanium folder is there too. As well as the init and recovery files.

When I look with my file manager- that's still there, the internal card still has the small 175 mb of internal storage, the 6 gb of the partition left that I made smaller to make way for the 1 gb partition for apps2sd. But that partition is not visible thru file manager. When I go thru the program that created the partitions, It's still there according to easeus partition.

So this is where I am. Your suggestions? Do I reflash a new ROM and start again? Or can I fix this mess? Open to any suggestions.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Well I think it all went well. Took a couple tries (as I wasn't sure what I was looking at). Went through the directions, rebooted, and had several apps complain (force stop). Seemed like most of the apps I installed, although some worked. I think all the default apps worked fine. Ended up with 171MB free. (I was expecting ~1GB) Started removing/installing complaining apps (they worked then). Free space started going down ~166MB. Figured I screwed up somewhere. Reflashed, rooted, followed directions, etc. Appears to work now. Re-installing from backup. Also realize now that I'll still have only 175MB showing despite apps being on the sd card. Any problems and I'll be back.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Hi Buzzman,

are the two files init-sd.sh and install-restore.sh located in /system/etc?

~Ivy

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I think they are in the root- just loose- not in a folder. (If I learned anything). I'm just getting ready to flash from a new sd card. THink I should hold off? I have the folder ready to go with the dload folder for the 60b011 rom.

yep- just double checked. They are loose along with about 10 other files loose and a whole mess of folders.

Last edited:

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Buzzman, these two files need to be in /system/etc/ if they're not it's not going to work.

~Ivy

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Ivy- can I put them into folders manually (I guess this part didn't take when I did it.) Can I put the 2 files into a folder called "system" and then put that folder into another called "etc"?-- or do I try the command lines again:

-Now we are going to copy the two files that we up on the sdcard to the system folders where they need to be. Still in the console at the # sign enter (or copy and paste) the following two commands.

cp /sdcard/install-recovery.sh /system/etc

cp /sdcard/init-sd.sh /system/etc

-To make sure these files are in the correct location enter these two commands, if there are no errors these files are in the correct spot.

chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

chmod 755 /system/etc/init-sd.sh

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
tried to do it manually. rebooted. no good. pulled battery. no good. back to command line..Hate that stuff!!!

When I run the commands I get no such file or directory.
Well I caved and reflashed the hids70069v100R001C60B011 rom. Back to square 1.

But that's OK. I only learn the hard way. lol

Last edited:

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Reflash went great. My internal sd card looks the same as it did. I installed an app installer and with my external card in place, the only app it found to install was z4root. Very convenient to re-root tablet. So I guess when I attempted the apps2sd procedure it changed all my apks into android files with android robot. There are no more apks.

So If I want to restart from scratch, can I format my internal card? Or does that erase the rom? And start with a new formatted external card with new apks? I guess I'll have to wait for 2.2.

If anyone can figure out from my rambling 2am typing where I went wrong, feel free to share. I'm game to try again knowing I can reflash a new rom and return tablet to working state. Pain in the butt to reset it up, but hey- That's how I learn.Thanks Kev, but this "idiot" failed apps2sd. ;(
OK- here is where my ignorance comes in- all my apk files on my PC that used to look like python scripts now look like little robots and are now called android applications. The open with droid explorer. That happened to all my apk files on my external sd card. So are they still apks? The apps installer wouldn't see them.

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I bricked my s7 twice when getting this working.

Use Titanium backup to backup everything before you start. I think our procedure needs more checks, especially before the cleanup. We could write a check script.

Sent from my Ideos S7

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Well, I still have the 2 partitions, one 900 mb or so for apps ( primary) and 6GB or so (primary) on my internal sd card. My apks if they still are apks( now they are little robots) aren't seen by the tablet. Yes they are mounted properly.
Went back into file manager and lo and behold, I can install manually off my external card.

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Buzzman, could you just edit the init-sd.sh to make sure it has 179:18 in it. If it says 179:2 you are using the wrong script.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I should mention I installed to the internal card. After restoring from backup, everything is working great. Perhaps it's best to do with a fresh flash.

Thanks to everyone who helped work this out.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
We should make this a three step process. First step create and validate the partition. Second step move apps. Third step clean up. With checks at each point.

Sent from my Ideos S7

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
@shanksv- I downloaded notepad++, figured out how to use it and opened the script and it's 179:18

So it's the right script. Now here is the thing. "This idiot" might have done it. After I re-flashed with this rom (hids70069v100R001C60B011), and I found that the app installer (with the plain brown open box icon) could just pick off the sd2 card (the other app installers could only find one apk -z4root), I went back and manually put the scripts in the system folder inside the etc folder on the internal card just for the hell of it. Put all my apks that are now droid robots( still trying to figure that one out- I know it is asso. with the droid explorer) on a new 16 GB external card. I'm talking 75 apks- and manually installed most of them. Also some from market. I have 6 ereaders on, 5 browsers, (these took up the most room on the 175 mb of allotted space for apps). I counted 80 apps installed. And still no warning of running low on space.

Could I have been successful? How do I figure it out? Tried to look at partitions but that didn't help. The internal sd doesn't show the new 990 mb partition for apps. What program will show how many mb of space is being used for apps. I will mount cards to pc and look. When I look at the numbers in properties, They are very low for what is used and free space is high. It is telling me that apps installed are less than 175 mb. But I have so much more installed now with no warnings. When I bring up the partitions program, it's telling me only 15 mb of space is used. So I don't know...

Until a custom rom is built and is able to be put on a sd card to install, I'm just guessing if things went right. And mine are not "educated guesses". So checks every so often on progress would be great. If you know something did not work, you can stop and fix it before building on mistakes.

I appreciate everyone's efforts to help. Thank you. There may be hope for me yet. LOL ;) After I really f***** *p my tablet yesterday I was really discouraged. For anyone else in my shoes, don't let it get you. Reflashing a ROM was so much easier than all the attempted programming. It left all the info on my sd cards alone, but fixed all the apps that were on my tablet, but not installed and no way to install them. And I think the tablet is better now, even if I was not successful with apps2sd.
It's holding a lot more apps now than before.

As an aside, I really like this rom. I also found an app that takes away the annoying lock screen. It's called No Lock ( and orange square with a lock inside as an icon). It's great not having to flick the screen up to unlock.

special thanks to Ivy and Kev. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance. Give me blood and guts to deal with any day of the week!! CPR- no prob-choking dog? I've heimliched them twice (very impressive might I add- popped that treat right out!)