[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Pvella--Thank you so very for taking the time to break this down even further, building on kev's (also very much appreciated) step by step tutorial. I'm gonna print this out so in case I want to try again i'll be better prepared to know what i'm doing. Who's gonna take bets to see if I can pull this off?? Lol...;)

Who's the next technically challenged guinea pig to try this??

You guys rock!!!

Sent from my Ideos S7

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I ran into a 1000 word limit. So I concentrated on the command line parts and not the preparation parts which are better described by kevmueller's excellent post.

Sent from my Ideos S7

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
If someone is game to test this, let us know the result.

Sent from my Ideos S7

Jao36

Dec 30, 2010
I've tried it several times with no luck. I have formatted just the partition, formatted the sdcard and created a new partition, wiped the partition of data then formatted. No matter what i try there seems to be some left over data that is botching up the process. I figured with the well written instructions i couldn't go wrong but i guess its a little much for me.

Thanks to everyone that has contibuted to this project it was fun and frustrating trying.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
At which step are you getting stuck? The initial mount?

Sent from my Ideos S7

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
I would also love some further instruction on exactly how to partition the internal sd card.

Delete everything first?
Partition first?
Format after partition?
Which program is best and least risky?
Do I need to make multiple partitions or just one 8gb ext2?
Will I lose existing data on that card or can I create this ext2 partition with other data on drive? How big would I make it?

Playing with partitions is not something I do often, and do not want to ruin my internal sd. It would be awesome if there were step by step instructions for this part too ;)

Thanks to everyone who is posting this great info and the tutorials.

At which step are you getting stuck? The initial mount?

Sent from my Ideos S7

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Hard for me to help you sorry. I wish mine had an internal sdcard, sadly it doesn't. I tend to use gparted, but that is not going to work.

Sent from my Ideos S7

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
mochas7, have you read Kev's post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...5362-prj-apps2sd-discussion-13.html#post33905 His post explains very well how to partition the internal drive. When I did the partioning I did not loose any data that was on it. Any time you partition a disk there is always a possibilty of loosing data so if there is something that you would like saved I would suggest you back it up.

Here is my suggestion for you

If you do not mind reformat the internal disk using the device. Go to settings-sd card-unmount internal card-format

Follow Kev's instructions. He also tells you what software to use. I use the same one he suggests and it works for me. If you get stuck somewhere let us know exactly where you are having issues.

I have a 7G partition for data formated fat32 and a 1G for apps2sd formated ext2.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to try again, sort of like taking a deep breath before you get adjusted by your friendly chiropractor. Would love to give you feedback. Maybe tomorrow!lol ;)

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
When I did my internal card, I popped in an Ubuntu Live CD, booted that. Plugged in the S7, did NOT mount the the cards. Fired up gparted, resized (shrunk) the internal drive, added a new primary ext2 partition. Didn't lose any data, nice and easy.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
mochas7, have you read Kev's post http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...5362-prj-apps2sd-discussion-13.html#post33905 His post explains very well how to partition the internal drive. When I did the partioning I did not loose any data that was on it. Any time you partition a disk there is always a possibilty of loosing data so if there is something that you would like saved I would suggest you back it up.

Here is my suggestion for you

If you do not mind reformat the internal disk using the device. Go to settings-sd card-unmount internal card-format

Follow Kev's instructions. He also tells you what software to use. I use the same one he suggests and it works for me. If you get stuck somewhere let us know exactly where you are having issues.

I have a 7G partition for data formated fat32 and a 1G for apps2sd formated ext2.

I had never messed with making a partition before this. This is one reason I made the post to try and help others in the same boat because this is a huge benefit. I spent some time searching for the easiest way to do this and found the program I had in the post. I copied all of my data to my computer just in case I lost it. Did not format the internal SD drive or anything, just used the program, created a 1.4GB partition and the rest is history. I am up to 400 MB of apps on this and everything is still running great. Right now I have everything I want for apps and still have 1GB left to add more!!

arqueiro

Nov 1, 2010
just got working on my, thanks you guys, but i do not use droid explorer (dont work on my computer [windws 7 x64) so u doit by put command by command on de terminal, works greats.

hsedidin

Nov 14, 2010
I don't want to run apps from my sdcard. I want to be able to save files to it from programs.

Why is the Internal Storage named SDCARD? It's not really a sd card??
Why name the external storage SDCARD2? Doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone know how I can get applications to save files to my External Storage without having to hack it?

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Does anyone know how I can get applications to save files to my External Storage without having to hack it?

Which application are you trying to achieve this with? It can definitely be achieved by switching mount points via a mod.