PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

carlos.com.br

Oct 20, 2011
Good evening, I share my esperience so we can help more people.

I have a coby MID8024 and this factory, turn lighting the buttons and the black screen. ie totamente lifeless.

above the card in my samsung processor, is written MID8024 05 V, do not know if I did not operate in this version is different but if try too.

1 - download the original firmware on the website of cobyusa.com
2 - have two memory card
3 - put the original firmaware internal 4GB card formatted in FAT32 always
4 - 2 in the same place card firmware, but with a difference, make a copy of the file "u-boot" and rename it to "u-boot-sd", leave the two files on the card and most of the remaining files.
5 - the following happened:
you turn on the tablet it does not find the boot in NAND, it looks in the external card, the external card orders go to the inner and coby then updates ..

6 - connect the coby pressing the home button (silver center) UUURRRRRUUUUU, it will light up the screen and get all white, wait about 30 seconds release the middle button (home) waiting another 10 minutes, maybe have templates that others do not turn off .
7 - remove the external card and turn normalmete, if does not work, update again but without the external card, only with the original firmware into the internal card at this point your tablet already rucuperado so this remains to be done recording the firmware normally.

not need to short on anything, not crazy place programs to boot, I did and this funcioando normally. lembreçe, this goes for coby plate MID8024 05 V, I think Vercoe earlier may not work, this version because it changes the boot when altomatico not find the nand.

email to doubt: carlos.com.br @ gmail.com

Carlos Fabricio
Computer Technician

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Good evening, I share my esperience so we can help more people.

I have a coby MID8024 and this factory, turn lighting the buttons and the black screen. ie totamente lifeless.

above the card in my samsung processor, is written MID8024 05 V, do not know if I did not operate in this version is different but if try too.

1 - download the original firmware on the website of cobyusa.com
2 - have two memory card
3 - put the original firmaware internal 4GB card formatted in FAT32 always
4 - 2 in the same place card firmware, but with a difference, make a copy of the file "u-boot" and rename it to "u-boot-sd", leave the two files on the card and most of the remaining files.
5 - the following happened:
you turn on the tablet it does not find the boot in NAND, it looks in the external card, the external card orders go to the inner and coby then updates ..

6 - connect the coby pressing the home button (silver center) UUURRRRRUUUUU, it will light up the screen and get all white, wait about 30 seconds release the middle button (home) waiting another 10 minutes, maybe have templates that others do not turn off .
7 - remove the external card and turn normalmete, if does not work, update again but without the external card, only with the original firmware into the internal card at this point your tablet already rucuperado so this remains to be done recording the firmware normally.

not need to short on anything, not crazy place programs to boot, I did and this funcioando normally. lembreçe, this goes for coby plate MID8024 05 V, I think Vercoe earlier may not work, this version because it changes the boot when altomatico not find the nand.

email to doubt: carlos.com.br @ gmail.com

Carlos Fabricio
Computer Technician

In case you dont know this procedure is already well known and used by users who Soft-Bricked their tablet..but this procedure is totally useless if your tablet's uboot is damage thats why theres another procedure for HARD-Bricked recovery.

carlos.com.br

Oct 20, 2011
In case you dont know this procedure is already well known and used by users who Soft-Bricked their tablet..but this procedure is totally useless if your tablet's uboot is damage thats why theres another procedure for HARD-Bricked recovery.

So it seems that my case was not totally damaged, would it?

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Hmm, yes. Even if you got adb working, you need root (see the "#" prompt instead of "$" which denotes a non-superuser).

If you're willing to root your tablet, you should be able to do it using the latest SuperOneClick. If adb isn't working, you may need to install PDA.net (Windows/PC) first to get USB access to the tablet.

I think I'm in trouble... When I connect the usb cable windows show a notification saying that there are a malfunction on the device, like an old thumbdrive I had that doesnt work anymore. I didnt got this before. Maybe I have a hardware problem???

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Another thing... Today I made a Factory reset, holding de silver button and power. After the Coby logo apears I just saw distorted characters that I think should be a reset menu. I just press the volume up button and the tablet was reseted and restart normally. May this be normal on 1024_v4 boards or my device is damaged?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@Fbox Are you sure USB was in "device mode" (Settings -> Advanced Settings, go to bottom)? You need drivers (either from SDK or PDA.net) in order to access your tablet via USB. If you put it in "USB storage mode" (click on the icon on the notification bar then on the button in the screen with a green robot), then your computer will try to read (mount) its SD card so you can copy files to/from it, but that's not what we want now. You need it in device mode, with debugging enabled (as opposed to storage mode) so you can root and/or use those commands to extract uboot. Also, if you use it in storgae mode with the SD card used to copy uboot then your computer won't be able to read the external card and it will show an error.

About the "factory reset" (it's actually SD card init, since it erases the internal microSD), you should be able to read the text (first in blue, then in white). I don't know if it's a bug in the 1025_v4 ROM, but it seems so. When you do what you did, VolumeUP will init the internal SD card while VolumeDown will abort it.

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Man, I realy trying but I think the usb of my device is damaged. When i connect the tablet in host mode nothing happens, and when I connect it in device mode i got a message saying that there are a malfunction... I tryied to install the pdanet driver but it was not recognized. I never got this before.
I will go trying, but meanwhile if someone can help extracting and sending your u-boot file from a 1024_v4 board the Kyros 1024 communit will be grateful...

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think the error is due to the external microSD used to extract u-boot. What happens if you connect to the computer without the external microSD? If the internal SD is visible on your computer, then you are using storage mode, you have to enable Debugging in Settings -> Applications.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your effort. Hopefully someone else will try to help as well.

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
I tried without the external microSD too, and the same happens: Malfunction in device mode and nothing in storage mode...

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Probably the easiest way to restore your external sdcard to its original state is to format it using the official sdcard format tool
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Android has a built-in sdcard formatter but it will format the whole thing without creating any partitions, like a giant floppy disk.

If your USB really is damaged, then you can install the dropbox app, create a free 2 GB account, and upload the file to share.

Last edited:

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
BACK IN BUSINESS. I hard bricked my tablet(1024) the other day but couldn't get any good results using instructions here. I bounced back between here and original thread on the other forum. I have window7 64 bit setup but I had problems using Winimage85 and HXD they both would error out. I even used roadkill's diskimage and it seemed to work. My biggest problem was setting up sdcard (correctly) because that is just as important as shorting pins 7&8.My main problem was that most of the software for windows needed an external usb cardreader... for me I didn't want to purchase one just to fix my tablet so i setup Ubuntu and used the instructions for linux. Once the u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm created partion on my 4GB sdcard I switched back to windows.Inserted 4GB card into laptop used quick format to format the 2.93 raw partition as fat32, then extracted hero tab firmware to my card,shorted pins 7&8 lights stayed on etc... once tablet was done I used working firmware for 1024 now i can go back to living and dog will not be a victim of my anger.

It has been noted so not too sure but 2GB sdcard did not work for me I used 4GB card but if your sdcard is not setup right you will not be successful.
I had to use the code :
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512KB count=4
sudo dd
if=u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm of=/dev/mmcblk0

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hey, Vernox. Good to know that your 1024 is back alive and kicking. Thanks for the additional info too. ;)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I tried without the external microSD too, and the same happens: Malfunction in device mode and nothing in storage mode...

You can do it internally, like steev said: save u-boot file to your /sdcard partition than upload it to a file sharing service like Dropbox directly from tablet.

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Even without the external microSD I can´t mount the internal microSD (in host mode), and the PDAnet driver don´t recognize the device (in device mode).... Then, assuming that my USB connection is damaged how can I root my tablet? I need to be rooted to extract the u-boot, isn´t?