PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Where do you find the file: " u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm" ? I can't find it anywhere.
Thanks.

Using Google returned two sites with direct download: 4shared and mediafire. Did you try those?

kristian88

Dec 2, 2011
Hi Megalex, hey bro... can you help me??? im speak spanish too!! i bricked my kyros 1024 =( i hope u can help me....

Gam3r_4_Life

Dec 8, 2011
Well its official. I have thoroughly bricked my brand new Kyros 7127. It started out as being stuck at the fastboot CWR screen, I was then able to get it to the FWDN screen, and read several tutorials on how to use the FWDN program to unbrick it. Well I was able to get it all set up with the FWDN program. I successfully flashed 2 of the files, and the tutorial said " After step 14 you could flash using the system image tcc8900_mtd..", so I figured it was optional and all I wanted was to be able to get back to a recovery screen and restore the CWR backup I had made. Well after trying to reboot it it now wont even go to the Coby screen. The buttons light up, nothing on the screen, and it stays like that until you either desolder the red battery wire, or wait until the battery dies.

So at this point I have emailed Coby and have asked to have it shipped in to fix it. Im sure my warranty is null and void, but at this point I dont care. I just want it back to the way it was. :confused:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You should never, I say again never, try to flash a firmware that wasn't tested on your tablet model. If you got FWDN running, maybe you can get a backup from someone and install. Or try to get ClockWorkMod installed so you can do it. I can't help much since I have never used any Telechips based tablet, so I don't know how to do it. But if you can get fastboot I bet you can flash a backup firmware.

Gam3r_4_Life

Dec 8, 2011
You should never, I say again never, try to flash a firmware that wasn't tested on your tablet model. If you got FWDN running, maybe you can get a backup from someone and install. Or try to get ClockWorkMod installed so you can do it. I can't help much since I have never used any Telechips based tablet, so I don't know how to do it. But if you can get fastboot I bet you can flash a backup firmware.

I was able to get in fwdn, but cant now, just blank screen. It does have clockwork installed, and I have a full working backup. But I have no way to flash it because I cant get into recovery. I also cant get into adb because my pc doesnt even recognize the tablet via usb.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Tablet Forum

crazythunder

Dec 5, 2011
I was able to get in fwdn, but cant now, just blank screen. It does have clockwork installed, and I have a full working backup. But I have no way to flash it because I cant get into recovery. I also cant get into adb because my pc doesnt even recognize the tablet via usb.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Tablet Forum
do you have droid explorer or android commander on your pc? they both have an option to boot to recovery and fastboot

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
It seems that the problem is that it doesn't boot anymore, so u-boot is missing or broken. You could try booting via SD but since there is no restore firmware for 7127 it will be hard to do. You could try the CM7 beta for 7022, as it is already bricked. Maybe you can get fastboot back at least...

jshiota

Jan 28, 2012
Hi there, I have a hardbricked MID1024 (1025_V4 board), after almost 3 days late hours awake reading, following tons of (trying) tutorials, I´m just about to give up...is there any reliable and 100% working instructins i can count on ? Hopefully a 2.3 or bigger Android version for this board ? Thanks !!!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hi there, I have a hardbricked MID1024 (1025_V4 board), after almost 3 days late hours awake reading, following tons of (trying) tutorials, I´m just about to give up...is there any reliable and 100% working instructins i can count on ? Hopefully a 2.3 or bigger Android version for this board ? Thanks !!!

There is no 2.3 and no official firmware for 1025_v4. You must use a custom one (CFW). The procedure works as long as you follow the instructions:
- use a 4GB microSD for the resurrection firmware
- use "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" as explained
- copy a compatible firmware to the empty partition of the microSD used for resurrection
- short circuit NAND pins 7 & 8 while booting for firmware installation if the tablet won't boot otherwise.

ijuihjas

Mar 13, 2012
HOW TO UN-BRICK A "HARD"-BRICKED Coby MID8024.
Yes, I did it. I un-bricked my Coby 8024. While installing the gingerbread ROM "C8lean 1.1 meshed.rar" by "elemist2" I "hard" bricked my Coby. A "hard" brick is not the regular recovery mode(pressing power button and HOME/SILVER button at the same time) that the Coby uses to install new roms. It is a state that the Coby goes into when the NAND becomes corrupted for some reason. When this happens the Coby appears dead to the outside world, even to the USB and HDMI ports. The NAND appears to have only one purpose and that is to hold the bootloader, see the thread "Creating a proper system layout" by "fonix232" at SlateDroid for more information. BORING!!!! Ok, onward.

Anyway, you can unbrick a mid8024(maybe 7024) with very little work, but you have to open your Coby for this to work. This method is only for a "Hard" bricked Coby8024(7024). If, you have a regular "soft" bricked Coby first try the regular method before attempting this one.
Also, I didn't do this first, "vinylb" at SlateDroid did it back in February. Look for the thread "How to unbrick your Coby MID7015". I used a slightly different approach.
You will need the following:
1)VERY----VERY small screwdriver or metal probe.
2)The original Coby ROM. Once you get the thing working you can always throw another ROM on it.
3)MicroSD card, just big enough to dump the ROM.
4)A opened Coby .
The Fun Part.
1)I used a 8G microSD card that was partitioned with the file "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm". I won't bore you with the details because if you are reading this article you have exhausted all other options.
Just put the original Coby ROM into the FAT32 partition. Put the microSD card into the Coby external slot. SIMPLE!! HARD PART COMING UP!!
2)Ok, if you don't know where your NAND is stop reading now and go find out. With the Coby open and the microSD card in the regular external slot you have to take that VERY small screwdriver and stick it between pins 7 & 8 of the NAND chip. You just have to short pins 7 & 8,how you do it is up to you. Simple. :)
3)With pins 7 & 8 shorted you now just do a regular plain-Jane recovery mode procedure. Simple.
I just shorted pins 7 & 8 on the NAND chip and did power button and home button at the same time.
The Coby screen turned bright white(all white) and I just let go of the power button and something "wonderful" happened. The Coby stayed on!! Yes, after 3 weeks of turning off whenever the power button was released it "stayed on". Yes, "something wonderful" happened.
I held the screwdriver against pins 7 & 8 until the Coby turned off by it self, which was about 4 minutes....give or take.
I flipped over the Coby, remember its still in 2 pieces, and pressed the power button, and .....and....
Saw "COBY". YEPPIE!

WARNING!!! I tried over 20 different recovery methods from over 4 different forums before I tried this. The Coby never gave me any sign through screen, USB, or HDMI. Just soft menu buttons lighting up with the power button press. It was DEAD! I didn't have any other options. Nothing else worked. I had nothing to lose. If, you have any questions just ask before attempting this method.

Any comments, suggestions, money, gifts, or whatever can be just posted to this thread.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article.
Bye...
Arlic

I used a 8G microSD card that was partitioned with the file "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm can you explain how do you partitioned it with this file

dmerit

Mar 18, 2012
I have done all I can do with this tablet, If anyone on this board would care to try to get this thing to life I would pay for shipping and what ever you think is fair to get it working I have a hard bricked Coby Kryos 7024 I have the back off it already but and know what to do but my PC will not let me do any of the sd card stuff (ie winimage locks up and wont let me format a disk image) serioulsly I just want my tablet back this sucks