? re my wireless router ?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I have a router that I got over 6 yrs ago.. It works.. but my question ..is it time for an update and if so to what ??
I know nx to nothing about wireless routers ....

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
That's a tough question because there are many styles, and different uses, but I will see if I can help

A couple questions though:

What are you using your router for now?

Is your home wired for ethernet? The reason I ask this is that maybe you want to have your Sat Box, Blu Ray or TV hooked to the internet but don't have the connections to do so.

Do you plan on doing other things with your router? Like the aforementioned Entertainment Center hookups

What other devices do you hook wirelessly to your router?

That's a good start, lets go from there

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
That's a tough question because there are many styles, and different uses, but I will see if I can help

A couple questions though:

What are you using your router for now? computer, smart phone, netflix and sling box, roku box i.e. netflix

Is your home wired for ethernet? The reason I ask this is that maybe you want to have your Sat Box, Blu Ray or TV hooked to the internet but don't have the connections to do so. NO just one access to wireless router in main computer room.

Do you plan on doing other things with your router? Like the aforementioned Entertainment Center hookups- No
What other devices do you hook wirelessly to your router? roku box , laptop smart phone, NC and sling

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
I went to Verizon.com and got a brand new router made by Westel for Verizon, It works great , easy to set up and cost only $10.00 with free shipping, check and see if they still offer it.

1. Verizon Wireless Router VZ7501ROUT for 9.97

Deal, coupon or bargain, Verizon Wireless Router VZ7501ROUT for 9.97, and search similar deals, read reviews, view auctions, do price comparison, setup deal alert ...
    www.[B]dealitem.com[/B]/Deal/1772586/Verizon-Wireless-Router-VZ... - Cached

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Things that you should really look for: b/g/n, dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, 4 LAN ports on the back (unless you have a switch as well), make sure data rates are up around 300Mbps, and good customer reviews...if you go to newegg.com and search under these specs, there are three models. I would look at the d-link or the Net Gear

I recently saw a router that would turn use your house wiring to carry a signal, and I guess the signal is pretty good on the other end, then you would put a wallwart there that had 4 RJ-45 ports. Would be great for your satellite box, Bluray player, TV, etc. if you didn't have whole house wiring already (my old log cabin does not)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
go with N with backwards compatibility to b/g - N gives you more bandwidth especially useful if you have multiple devices connected to it simultaneously - pc, xbox, smartphone, NC

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Is there something wrong with the current router?
Does it do B&G (N is preferred but I do everything I need to with G - including streaming 1080p content)?
Does it provide solid signal to the areas you need to work?

Sometimes it's more a matter of placement than protocol or features (N vs G vs B). For example, my wireless life got much nicer when I moved my wireless access point to a more central location. I had to run a long ethernet cable to get there, but it was worth it. An N router with a poor signal gives below-G speeds, and dropouts, which kills streaming media.