Reported WiFi Issues w/A28, A32, A43, A70, A101

papahood

Dec 11, 2010
Hello..I'm having similar problems with the A70 ( which I also have only had for a few days ) on my home network. I don't think it's your router because I have a Linksys wrt320 and I am having a hard time getting my A70 to stay connected to my network. Sometimes it doesn't see it at all just says it's out of range even though it's sitting right next to the router. The wifi on the A70 keeps scanning and and then disconnecting and so on..sometimes it sees it but most of the time not. I am awaiting a response from Archos tech support so will keep informed on what they say. I really like it and would hate to have to RMA it.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Hello. I have a 4 day old A70 and I think it has a problem with the wifi hardware.

At home, I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dualband wireless router. All my other devices (HTC Android phone, Laptop, Netbooks, Vizio TV, etc.) have no connection problem. Speed is good. My A70 can connect but there is too much latency on the connection. AppLib populates the screen very slowly, web pages seems slow to load, in comparison to my other devices. I cannot connect my A70 to our OWA server at work, and one more thing, it cannot establish VPN connection to our PPTP gateway at work, either. It seems like due to the latency, SSL packets are discarded resulting in not able to connect to our OWA.

If someone out there with Netgear WNDR3700 and an Archos A70, do you experience unacceptable latency on your Internet connection?

Thanks in advance.

20101009sa-netgear-rangemax-wndr3700-n600-dual-band-wireless-router-300x300.jpg

images

I have the another brand with the same chips you have Atheros in there with 680MHz WNPU and 64MB if you have V1? V2 has 128MB. Still the CPU is the same as mine. It won't work with the Archos no matter what you do.

N75GN.jpg

I have many routers here since I test them out. D-LINK DIR-655 doesn't work either. The only one does is no longer made. Belkin N+ You might find one online. Belkin N+ uses Ralink RT2880 WNPU 266MHz with 32MB RAM. But any Ralink WNPU should work though. I have another one from EnGenus 3 of them one a travel router WCB features and the main router. All three uses Ralink RT3052 384MHz with 32MB RAM 2T/2R design.

Even if you got it to work not going work in 802.11n or g/n mix on the Atheros Routers. It has to be mix mode on Ralink Router.

I got this coming..
tp-link-ultimate-wireless-gigabit-router-tl-wr1043nd-300m-4-prt-gbit-switch-5551-p.jpg

Might not even work since it based on Atheros 400MHz WNPU 32MB RAM but it has 20dBm ERP

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Is this an issue with 2.1 or 2.2 or both?

Doesn't matter which OS it still does it. Hardware issue or something they need to fix in the code for the script. But 802.11n won't work at all. Only 802.11g. But that doesn't mean it sill will work with your router.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
This guy seems to have it figured out.

That's under OS 2.1, under OS 2.2 the settings are changed. Those features are not checked off. It's still doing it. So that's the not the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeDilligaf

Dec 1, 2010
ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews » Story » Official statement from Archos on current Froyo firmware

Official statement from Archos on current Froyo firmware

Posted by Charbax on 3rd December 2010
“CPU:
We have set the ARM cortex A8 CPU to a maximum of 800MHz by default in order to optimize the battery life. All Archos products are using frequency scaling as a means to prolong battery life (e.g. when listening to MP3, CPU speed goes down to 300MHz). 1GHz is currently used for certain tasks like Internet browsing.
We are achieving approximately the same performance between eclair 1.0.84 and froyo 2.0.54 firmwares using Quadrant benchmarking software.
Note that there is an issue with Quadrant benchmarking software on our current firmware resulting in a false result regarding CPU speed evaluation. It has been fixed internally and we reach now a score of more than 1300 for the Archos43it.
Wi-Fi:
We have identified 2 issues with Wi-Fi:
i) Problem: it is impossible to connect on access points using channels above 11. Workaround: configure the access point to use another channel. Problem already solved internally and will be published in a firmware update very soon.
ii) Problem: on some devices wifi gets stuck sometimes with WPA2/AES encryption. Workaround: use a different encryption mode on the access point if possible. We are working with our chipset provider to find a solution.
Flash:
We have a specific flash plugin configuration that enables hardware acceleration for optimized video decoding that cannot be made public until Adobe certification is completed. All benchmarks currently conducted with other flash plugins will result in poor performance that will not reflect our platform capability.”
You can discuss this in the forum: Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Official statement from Archos on the current Froyo firmware

papahood

Dec 11, 2010
ArchosFans.com - News, Rumors and Reviews » Story » Official statement from Archos on current Froyo firmware

Official statement from Archos on current Froyo firmware

Posted by Charbax on 3rd December 2010
“CPU:
We have set the ARM cortex A8 CPU to a maximum of 800MHz by default in order to optimize the battery life. All Archos products are using frequency scaling as a means to prolong battery life (e.g. when listening to MP3, CPU speed goes down to 300MHz). 1GHz is currently used for certain tasks like Internet browsing.
We are achieving approximately the same performance between eclair 1.0.84 and froyo 2.0.54 firmwares using Quadrant benchmarking software.
Note that there is an issue with Quadrant benchmarking software on our current firmware resulting in a false result regarding CPU speed evaluation. It has been fixed internally and we reach now a score of more than 1300 for the Archos43it.
Wi-Fi:
We have identified 2 issues with Wi-Fi:
i) Problem: it is impossible to connect on access points using channels above 11. Workaround: configure the access point to use another channel. Problem already solved internally and will be published in a firmware update very soon.
ii) Problem: on some devices wifi gets stuck sometimes with WPA2/AES encryption. Workaround: use a different encryption mode on the access point if possible. We are working with our chipset provider to find a solution.
Flash:
We have a specific flash plugin configuration that enables hardware acceleration for optimized video decoding that cannot be made public until Adobe certification is completed. All benchmarks currently conducted with other flash plugins will result in poor performance that will not reflect our platform capability.”
You can discuss this in the forum: Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Official statement from Archos on the current Froyo firmware

The first statement they make about not working above channel 11 has no effect on mine since i run on channel 9...
However the encryption problem might be what I'm facing. I use wpa so I hope they come up with a solution soon!!!

geobjork

Dec 12, 2010
I have the same problem, it seems to have changed after updating the A 70 IT to Froyo. Now it indicates that it is connected all the time, still I get a message that there is no connection. With 2.1 the connection indicator dissappeared.
I wrote the following to the Archos Technical Support :

"
The device disconnects from WiFi after a short time. WiFi have to be turned off and reconnected in order to continnue. On the same network I also have an Archos 7HT with no such problems, in addition to two laptops. The router is a D-Link Dir-615 with WPA-2 encryption".

Their answer was as follows:
"We recommend to change the network settings for using WPA TKIP".

My reply to that is:
"
Thank you for quick reply. The Archos 70 IT is sold and bought as a portable device, and that means it will be connected to different networks. It is an illogical solution to change the settings on the networks in order to get the device to work. WPA2 is a very common setting today.
Also, it is sold as a Wi-Fi device, and according to “The Wi-Fi Alliance” press release of March 13. 2006, it states: “WPA2™ Security is Now Mandatory for Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ Products”. The entire press release may be read on
http://www.wi-fi.org/news_articles.php?f=media_news&news_id=16.

My question is, is this a problem that will be solved by software/firmware updates or is it a hardware issue that can’t be solved?

I am in the process of ordering an Archos 101 IT, but I do assume the problem is the same on that one?
Again, my A 7 HT has no such problems.

To change the settings on every acess point the device may be connected to is not a soloution to the problem, if it can't be solved with the device itself, the device is worthless for what it is intended for.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Not sure if this will help, but try using channels 1-8 instead. I wouldn't think they would say under 11 if that didn't mean that channel 10 would work. But ... the way WiFi spreads the frequencies, channel 11 shares frequencies with channel 8 and above! Not all of the same ones, but that's why the most effective channels are 1, 6, and 13. All others overlap and share part of the frequencies. It might be worth a try to stay below channel 8 to not use any of the channel 11 frequencies.