[RESOURCE] What is Rooting? Why do I want to Root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
What is root?

'Root', is the name of the login account in the Linux operating system that has complete full access to all system resources. It is also referred to as 'superuser'. This is akin to the 'Administrator' account in Windows. Essentially it gives you full access to any file in the operating system. Android is a modified version of Linux built for mobile devices. Hence forth the same terminology for Linux applies for Android.

As with computers, it is often beneficial to lock down accounts to prevent end-users (you and I) from altering data that can potentially break the functionality of the system by limiting access to certain files and actions. However, by locking down the end-user, it also means that the user loses full control of the system. Typically access is denied to this account on retail mobile devices.

'Rooting' refers to the process by which the user gains access to the root account.

Being 'rooted' is when the end-user has the ability to login to the root account. When rooted, the shell (terminal, or command prompt) will either display a '#' sign to the left, or has the ability to do so. To the right you will see a root shell on an Android device in the application 'Terminal Emulator'.

The benefits for a manufacturer to lock down the device for end-user use is obvious: avoid unnecessary technical support, and limit functionality not required by the typical end-user.

What are some of the things I can do if I have root to my Android device?

• Custom firmwares bringing increased performance and functionality
  • Custom themes
  • Changing core (system) applications such as calendar, maps, clock
  • Freedom to do as your wish on your own phone

Here's a sample of functionality otherwise not available on some unrooted devices enabled after rooting:

• ability to take a screenshot on the device without use of additional tools
  • control the CPU, including undervolting and overclocking
  • control the keyboard backlight
  • perform backups and restores quickly and reliably using superuser-only tools
  • access to the international Android market
  • adblocking
  • data access control via application whitelists or blacklists
  • install applications on the SD card

Small gallery of functionality enabled by being rooted:

Ability to install carrier unsupported firmwares (Rogers HTC Dream with Android 1.6 with Rogers supporting only up to Android 1.5)

Phone CPU overclocking with SetCPU (stock Rogers HTC Dream clocks at 384 MHz)

Data access blacklisting with Droidwall

Wait isn't this dangerous?

Root access allows the end-user to perform otherwise restricted actions such as modifying system files.

Is this dangerous? Potentially? Yes.

Are the chances of me screwing up my phone or mobile device high? Depends on what you are modifying, but in most cases, no.

As long as you are careful to read to understand the consequences of what you are doing to your phone, you will not end up with an expensive brick!

If you do not understand what you are doing, read first and ask if you still do not understand! This is important!

Sources

1. "root - Linux Terms". Linux Self-Help. http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/linuxterms/index/root.html
  2. "Why Root - Android Wiki" Android-DLs http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

r2d2

Nov 23, 2010
To root any Android device, you need to determine what it is first. Then there are specific instructions for each tablet.

Hi,
How can we know if our epad is already rooted or not? HOw can I root my EPAD or how can we know what device we have? Thanks in advance.:)

yodaco

Dec 6, 2010
This is a most unhelpfull page, i know why i want to root my device, and i know what type it is etc, so HOW DO I ROOT IT! please dont send me a link to slatedroid.com.. i might just cry if you do that.. every link i can find is on slatedroid, but its down :(
its a MID M70003 MID M70003 7 inch Android MID PC wifi...USD 101.53/Piece Wholesale Price at **********
the exact same one in this picture down to a T. only this page claims to be android 1.7 but its 1.6.. other than that, this is the one i have.
any ideas how to go about rooting the damn thing would be greatly appreciated ;)

twilcox418

Dec 27, 2010
Im stuck with this chinese tablet so I want to make the best of it. Please keep in mind I am very new to these things. So far frm the device i gathered:
Wmt 2.0.1_105
Firmware 1.6
Kernal ver: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty

I read rooting can increase functionality so I want to try it. Where can I find the procedure? When I do it will I be able to uninstall all the useless apps it came with? Do i need a sd card to root it? My problem is that it didn't come with any kind of office suite and the app market is wack. Im a writer. I need something more than a notepad. Can I do anything to increase its battery life? Also i tried to download free software like openoffice and brothersoft but it said there was no program to open it in.

Please Help..turn my christmas gift into something I can use.

twilcox418

Dec 27, 2010
the cpu says ARM processor

so who is the manufacturer? I need to know what mine is classified under so i can go to the right forums. (Telechip, via, etc.)

chickenboom

Dec 29, 2010
Im stuck with this chinese tablet so I want to make the best of it. Please keep in mind I am very new to these things. So far frm the device i gathered:
Wmt 2.0.1_105
Firmware 1.6
Kernal ver: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty

I read rooting can increase functionality so I want to try it. Where can I find the procedure? When I do it will I be able to uninstall all the useless apps it came with? Do i need a sd card to root it? My problem is that it didn't come with any kind of office suite and the app market is wack. Im a writer. I need something more than a notepad. Can I do anything to increase its battery life? Also i tried to download free software like openoffice and brothersoft but it said there was no program to open it in.

Please Help..turn my christmas gift into something I can use.

Yeah I have the same as yours except mine is 2.1.2, wish somebody could help

Status
Not open for further replies.