Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

VORTEX1973

Apr 18, 2011
very easy, i follow the steps carefully, no problem at all.
i want to update the GFX driver, any simple guide like this ?

using the same software (terminal emulation ...)
Grettings form Chile.

by the way, the price in my country is USD 160, very cheap compared with aPAD, ePAD and a lot of clones

(my english is very poor, sorry)

rgcruz

Apr 22, 2011
followed the steps carefully and many times, but everytime i execute step 16, before entering reboot, i get the following error:

[1] + Stopped (signal) flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

i hope anyone can help thanks.

mpass057

Apr 23, 2011
followed the steps carefully and many times, but everytime i execute step 16, before entering reboot, i get the following error:

[1] + Stopped (signal) flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

i hope anyone can help thanks.

I'm having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be any answers...anywhere.

mpass057

Apr 23, 2011
I'm having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be any answers...anywhere.

SOLVED In step 2, use the alternate link to get flash_image. Don't use the flash_image.zip link.
When you download that file unzip it and grab the flash_image from the /system/bin folder
Then follow all other instructions. I don't know what the difference is except that the one that didn't work is 17.7k and the one that works is 9k.
I really hope that works for you. I know it's extremely frustrating.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
SOLVED In step 2, use the alternate link to get flash_image. Don't use the flash_image.zip link.
When you download that file unzip it and grab the flash_image from the /system/bin folder
Then follow all other instructions. I don't know what the difference is except that the one that didn't work is 17.7k and the one that works is 9k.
I really hope that works for you. I know it's extremely frustrating.

It seems the Coby doesn't like the newer version of flash_image. Thanks for catching this. I believe this link is also the older version that works: 2shared - download flash_image

erotomaniac

Apr 13, 2011
Hi all,

Seems this the steps here got good reviews. I'll try it once I get a wireless router.

Just a question, do I need the official update from Cobyusa.com to root my 7015? Coz I can't seem to find it on their website. Are the all the files needed in the 4 download links in the procedure?

opsguy

Apr 19, 2011
Yes you need to do Coby update first. To find it go to Coby site and go to the page for Coby MID7015. Scroll down a little and click on "How-To Video Tutorials". On that page click on the video tutorial titled "Updates for MID7015. In the window that pops up you have option#1 and option#2. Click option 2 where it says "Step by step instruction". A new video window opens. At the bottom of this video window you will see in the lower left "Download: Update.zip, PDF instructions". Click on "Update.zip" and it will allow you to download the file.

Good luck

erotomaniac

Apr 13, 2011
So that's where they were hiding it! Thanks Opsguy! I'll give you an official thanks once I find out how to do it. :p
However, I was actually able to root my Kyros without updating it first with the official Coby update.zip. I'm thinking it would have been better to have updated it first so that my backup is updated. Well what's done is done. heehee!

I want to thank jrsharp and lisabraydon for those awesome steps! I'll also give you an official thanks once I learn it.

Thanks also to all those who contributed in this thread!

opsguy

Apr 19, 2011
You can still go back and flash the update which is recommended, then redo your root and flash Clockworkmod.

gb112660

Apr 29, 2011
I'm almost there. Anyone else get this ?
When I try to execute the command flash_image{space}recovery{space}/sdcard/recovery.img I get the following error: flash_image: 1: Syntax error:")" unexpected
What is it trying to tell me is wrong with the syntax ??

Thanks for any help.

Apr 29, 2011
i have the coby kyros and i nd tryn to get google apps market
i have the z4 root and the package downloaded all ready but the recovery image WILL NOT DOWNLOAD i dont know how to get it on my comp or tablet..on the tablet its sayin file is not suported on this phone?? helpppp

jbarr89

May 1, 2011
THANKS!!!!! If I knew how to thank you in the post, I would. Finally after two days of reading multiple posts/threads trying to figure out how to root this thing I found a solution

Ole Dog

Apr 19, 2011
Heres my story and I'm sticking with it.

5/2/11 Received my 7015A from Wal Mart on line for $138. Played with it some and read part of a book, opened wifi, opened homepage (igoogle classic) and email(gmail) as my micro sdhc didnt come in. Great little machine.

5/3/11 SDHC 16GB came today. :cool: On to rooting.

5/4 MANY THANKS TO jrsharp21:) for 1st post on this thread (I read all posts) and followed red letter post (pun intended), last one on page 7 by lisabraydon ALSO MANY THANKS TO YOU:D. Worked like a charm, only problem encountered was my stupid :rolleyes: typos not being use to the touch screen keyboard. 30 minutes and its rooted and have the Gapps on board.

5/5 Hello!!! malfunction junction. Every input (ie touch of an icon on screen) opens the icon (or letter on keyboard above the one touched. :confused: Tried everything I knew, rebooted etc. nothing helped, so back to walmart it went. No problem there, got my money back and started to re order, guess what Wallyworld is out of stock on line and don't sell them in store. Checked locally and internet and found a new one at Amazon.com selling partner. $138.96 but no shipping or sales tax so saved 7.4% less $0.96 over walmart price. Its shipped and due here Monday 5/9 so back to rooting.

Again thanks to all who posted solutions to questions ask and made this process so simple but sure looks like the 7015 may soon be unobtainable new. :(

Bill (Ole Dog) Hancock

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Bill,
I think the forum could have helped before you returned the Coby. Screen calibrate might have fixed it. Rebooting to the original ROM might have proven that it was a software issue and not a hard ware issue. The keyboard is a lot harder to use than one would expect. I still watch it carefully to see I get the letter I clicked on. I have a small USB keyboard I use too.
Next Coby test making a backup and restoring a couple of times, clockworkmod menu. It's a nice feature. Then you can have multiple ROMs available - Original, Rooted, Tipstir's etc.