Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Tried installing the settings.apk and completely reinstalling the market, but no luck. Do not really feel like wiping it and starting over!:( Any more ideas!!??

Sorry, other than a complete wipe and clean install, I got nothing else.

morriston

May 16, 2011
Thank you so much for your detailed steps in rooting the 7015A with the Google Marketplace. It worked flawlessly. At the final step 22, in my effort to find the reboot screen I pressed the "menu" button and activated one of the lines near the bottom of the page (I don't know which line it was)...then I pressed the silver back button, the reboot screen appeared and I continued on with the reboot process. The reboot process was successful and the Marketplace works great...in fact, the whole tablet works just fine. My question is...would that one line I activated in error cause any problem with the 7015A's performance or would the reboot process just ignore my error entry. I found a posting by one of the members on how to return a rooted 7015A back to the original configuration from the factory....however, it didn't work for me (the step of pressing the silver back button and the power button at the same time didn't produce the triangle and android figure). I have also read that it is not possible to reconfigure a rooted 7015A back to the original configuration. My purpose was to reconfigure my rooted 7015A back to the original and then re-root it again to the Marketplace...I thought of doing this just in case my "error activation" of that one line caused a problem. Do you know if I should be concerned with my "error activation?" I would greatly appreciate any advice you may offer.

MsSteffi

May 20, 2011
All right boys and girls, I give in... I am begging for help!

I am on the Coby 7015 and have completed Steps 1 thru 17. I am at a complete stand still now, ugh. After doing all those steps (pretty positive correctly too) the tablets 1/2 way reboots. It turns off and the word Coby comes up on the screen and just stays there indefinitely! I have to flip it over and press the reset button to get to go back to normal. So, in the other words the Clockwork thingy is not coming up with the reboot; therefore, I am unable to continue onto Steps 18-22 :((

What shall I do?!?!

Thank you so MUCH!

~Steffi

P.S Sorry if this is a repeated question, I've looked through all 23 pages of reply's but didn't find anything like this.
P.S.S This is my first time doing anything like this!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
All right boys and girls, I give in... I am begging for help!

I am on the Coby 7015 and have completed Steps 1 thru 17. I am at a complete stand still now, ugh. After doing all those steps (pretty positive correctly too) the tablets 1/2 way reboots. It turns off and the word Coby comes up on the screen and just stays there indefinitely! I have to flip it over and press the reset button to get to go back to normal. So, in the other words the Clockwork thingy is not coming up with the reboot; therefore, I am unable to continue onto Steps 18-22 :((

What shall I do?!?!

Thank you so MUCH!

~Steffi

P.S Sorry if this is a repeated question, I've looked through all 23 pages of reply's but didn't find anything like this.
P.S.S This is my first time doing anything like this!

Use these commands for step 16 instead:

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

NOTE THE SPACES.

Last edited:

MsSteffi

May 20, 2011
Use these commands for step 16 instead:

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

NOTE THE SPACES.

It says no file or directory :(

Thanks for trying!

Last edited:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
It say no file or directory :(

Thanks for trying!

Which command line? The second one? Here it is with [space] where a space is required.

mv[space]/system/etc/install-recovery.sh[space]/system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image[space]recovery[space]/sdcard/recovery.img
reboot[space]recovery

MsSteffi

May 20, 2011
Which command line? The second one? Here it is with [space] where a space is required.

mv[space]/system/etc/install-recovery.sh[space]/system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image[space]recovery[space]/sdcard/recovery.img
reboot[space]recovery

I tried it again to make sure I was typing correctly, it still says it though. It's doing it on the first line.

This is what my screen looks like right now:

$su
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

Last edited:

LaDaisy81

May 22, 2011
I'm a noob to this and tried other methods and ran into several problems. I followed the steps you gave along with the red modifications and it worked in no time!!! I registered just to say thank you to you both!!!! You couldn't have made it any easier and I owe you one!!!!!

yamato

May 25, 2011
hello all,.... first post for me.

I got the 7015,... followed all of the steps,.... every thing is pretty simple but the z4Mod just seems to sit there and never can install the super user?

once I select "Permanent Root", I just get a spinner in the middle of the blue z4Mod screen and it never does anything else.

I've now tried a full wipe,..... again the update from Coby (not sure if that is needed or not),... and restarted the process,... again same thing..... any ideas?

thanks

EDIT:

I've also noticed that even though the version numbers match, that my z4root file is a little smaller than the one shown on the video,... has this been updated? might I need an older version? where could I get that?

Last edited:

yamato

May 25, 2011
yes, that is what I am using,..... says 955.5 kb when I DL it, then ony 953.? once it's on the card. I found it strange that in the video the Kyros displays 955.5, but mine shows smaller using the same AndExplorer app???

Joex51

May 26, 2011
First off I am a noob with android and that is part of the reason I chose this device.
I have been trying to follow all the different instructions to root/gapps install for about 24 hours now and I kept getting the "no file or directory" error

here is what fixed it for me.
this unit calls the internal memory "sdcard" so when I hooked it to my PC via USB I selected USB internal then Copied the file flash_image to the internal Memory. and the cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image worked. with no error!!

It appears that on this version the File manager and AndExplorer type apps see the external sdcard , and the OS sees the internal memory as sdcard as well, so when you call /sdcard on the terminal emulator it is looking at the internal memory.
I hope this helps!
Now on to the rest of the install hope it finishes

Last edited:

Joex51

May 26, 2011
UPDATE:

Just to be safe I copied the recovery.img file to the internal memory so it was in both places to be safe.
I also did not have to chmod or chown and of the files.
rebooting device now,...
Yep It works
I have gapps installed thanks everyone!!

FriskyKid

May 19, 2011
Voila! Thanks to all the Super-Moderators and other posters. Flash_image was not my problem although I read a lot about it. When I replaced the recovery.img in the SD card with the recovery.img found here: recovery.COBY7015.img and renamed it recovery.img, it worked! You don't move it out of the SDCard. I went thru the reboot, then had to do one reset. Now the Market is in there and I registered it. It is still a 2.1 OS device, and now I'm reading how to upgrade to at least 2.2.