Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

May 27, 2011
when i tried to type in the codes and it resets the ClockworkMod Recovery dosnt show just the android logo and a triangle with an i inside

infrared

May 27, 2011
Hola all, I just ordered a 7015 from Amazon today but am voraciously reading as much as possible before it arrives to ease the pain of rooting. I'm fairly computer savvy but haven't fooled around with Android at all. Are lisabraydon's instructions on p. 7 the most concise and factual to follow? Also I clicked on several of the links to download the needed files and I herded them into a folder on my PC called 'Rooting Kyros 7015' just for the ease of finding when I finally need them. z4root.1.3.0.apk appears right but both recovery and gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed are zip files. Do they get copied to the micro SD card as such or do they need to be unzipped first? I'm sure I'll have other questions to follow, but these immediately crop up. I think I'll play with the device for a day or two after I get it to get comfortable with it before I dive in. Advisable? Thanks in advance.

Wordwench

May 9, 2011
Hola all, I just ordered a 7015 from Amazon today but am voraciously reading as much as possible before it arrives to ease the pain of rooting. I'm fairly computer savvy but haven't fooled around with Android at all. Are lisabraydon's instructions on p. 7 the most concise and factual to follow? Also I clicked on several of the links to download the needed files and I herded them into a folder on my PC called 'Rooting Kyros 7015' just for the ease of finding when I finally need them. z4root.1.3.0.apk appears right but both recovery and gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed are zip files. Do they get copied to the micro SD card as such or do they need to be unzipped first? I'm sure I'll have other questions to follow, but these immediately crop up. I think I'll play with the device for a day or two after I get it to get comfortable with it before I dive in. Advisable? Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Like you, I just bought the Kyros on Amazon - I LOVE IT. I've had it for about 2 weeks and decided to follow these instructions last night to root it and install Google Marketplace.

Firstly, the process is much, much simpler than you'd expect. The flash_image file is a zipped file, and yes - you unzip that file on your PC and then move the flash_image to the root of the SD card as it says. The wording threw me off too - "open the file in explorer' simply means to unzip it - at least that's what I did. What really threw me was this:

-- Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. --

There aren't any different folders in the flash_image zip file, and I have no idea where this system and bin was supposed to be, so I was lost at what this step entailed. I dropped the flash-image in the root of the SD card and it worked just fine. If someone can better define this step, it may help you.

The gapps zip is the actual Google Marketplace application, and that one you cart over as a zip file to your kyros. That last clockwork mode is what enables you to unzip and install it directly on your kyros, FWIW.

I can't speak to Lisa's instructions as I basically just jumped right in. And really, it's a piece of cake. One thing I did note is that I already installed Amazon Apps, and when I did this mod, for some reason I ended up with two Amazon App icons on my 'home screen' and no Android Market. However, it was right there in the apps and I was able to easily create a shortcut.

Just as an aside - this tutorial was written before Amazon Apps was available (and where AppLibs was your only option). There are apparently a lot more apps on Google Marketplace, but in all honesty I spent the evening going through what they have and wasn't all that impressed. Amazon is a lot cheaper, and between it and AppsLib, will probably be more than you'll ever need. Still, it does give you more playing options, but there's no reason to feel that you absolutely must root and install the marketplace, at least in my opinion. I was able to get tons of great apps without it.

Definitely do play with it - I was originally planning to mod the OS to honeycomb, but am really happy with it just like it is. If you're adamant about playing, say, Angry Birds, you will have to tweak it beyond the factory set up, but in all honesty 99 percent of the apps I've installed have worked just fine.

One thing - if you are using yours as a book reader, you'll have to upgrade Aldiko. While my Coby was shipped upgraded to the newest version (and I went around and around trying to figure that one out), Aldiko was outdated. I kept seeing references to icons that didn't exist. I personally LOVE Aldiko, and have had absolutely no problem importing books but it was shipped out with the older version. You can go directly to their website for more info there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

infrared

May 27, 2011
Hey, gracias for the helpful info. Since it looks like won't be getting my unit until next week, I've just been reading whatever I could glean from this site, Android Tablet Zone - ATZ, and the helpful video on YouTube. So, I gather you feel Amazon Apps is almost as good as rooting and getting Google Marketplace. Is there a download link for the Amazon Apps? After reading the instructions closer contained herein, it does look like it will be rather simple. I've already dumped all the necessary files on a 2gb micro sd card I had laying around until I get around buying a 16gb one, so I'd probably dive right in after I got a hang on navigating on the device. Thanks again.

Apr 28, 2011
infrared, you will want a 16gb card. The memory android takes off of it is about 2gb. so then ur left with 14. After 20 songs and 2 movies ur down to 10 or less. And then with apps... 2gb will not cut. You are doing what I am and reading the forum b4 u get ur tablet. Smart idea. This forum has taught me more about the tablet, and how to root it, than I could've learned in 3 years on my own.

infrared

May 27, 2011
Thanks, Chocolate Touch, can't I just root the 7015 with the 2gb card and pop in the 16gb one when I get it or does the card with files on it have to be in all the time. btw, where's the 'thanks' button?

Found the 'thanks' button...........duh!!

Last edited:

Wordwench

May 9, 2011
Hey, gracias for the helpful info. Since it looks like won't be getting my unit until next week, I've just been reading whatever I could glean from this site, Android Tablet Zone - ATZ, and the helpful video on YouTube. So, I gather you feel Amazon Apps is almost as good as rooting and getting Google Marketplace. Is there a download link for the Amazon Apps? After reading the instructions closer contained herein, it does look like it will be rather simple. I've already dumped all the necessary files on a 2gb micro sd card I had laying around until I get around buying a 16gb one, so I'd probably dive right in after I got a hang on navigating on the device. Thanks again.

Hiya!

You are going to absolutely LOVE it. I'm completely addicted. :)

I want to amend my statement to note that I was perfectly happy with Amazon Apps - there are thousands of apps to choose from, and Amazon offers one free app everyday. It's very easy to set up - go here to set up yout account (when you get the Kyros). It will give you an email link which you'll need to access from your Kyros. Simple as that.

So, now that I've rooted and had a chance to really look at the Marketplace? Amazon isn't even close.

It's definitely worth rooting to get access to the Marketplace - however, ignorance is bliss - if you choose to use only Amazon Apps, and that's all you know, between that and AppLibs you'll likely be really happy with those choices as well.

I also note that I have an 8 GB card which seems to work out just fine. I can definitely see wanting 16 though. :cool:

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks, Chocolate Touch, can't I just root the 7015 with the 2gb card and pop in the 16gb one when I get it or does the card with files on it have to be in all the time. btw, where's the 'thanks' button?

Found the 'thanks' button...........duh!!

Honestly, I am not sure. To be on the safe side, just use the card that u will always use the device with.

lizethvill808

Jun 2, 2011
for some reasons i cant it gives me error option if i try to boot from zip folder,can i saved the files into the tablet and and enter different commands n the blue screen

Ihova

Jun 6, 2011
for anyone having the "cannot locate file" issue. Please use an SD card reader and not the Kryos to place the files on the SD card. If you use the Kryos it places them in the /nand directory.

gama505

Jun 8, 2011
can any one please pm me the watry download link? i keep geting the error form drop box temporarilly down =[ please reply ASAP