Rooting Problem Solved

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
Found the Rooting Problem.

The USB Driver that comes with the SDK doesn't seem to contain the proper .INF file for the Gentouch.

There is a modification required to the .INF file. It's found here:

http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Setup+SDK+and+ADB+Access

Might want to add that into instructions on Rooting the Gentouch, because without that .inf mod it's extremely frustrating.

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
Well, gee wiz, you didn't need to start a whole new thread. But good job finding this out on your own. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that some things that are obvious aren't so obvious to some other people.

Fitzwaryn

Aug 25, 2010
I put it up as a new thread since I imagine a lot of other people who are trying to learn the Android systems would run into the same problem as I did.

I've been working with PCs and other small computers for around 35 years. My first computer was an Imsai 8080 that had to be built by hand and booting it up was something most people today can only imagaine. Worked on everything from the first versions of DOS and CPM up through Windows 7. I program in about a dozen languages from Assembler through C++. If I had problems figuring it out I suspect others with a lot less experience will encounter the same thing.

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
If you would have installed the updates, the drivers are there for ADB access. This is not rooting your device btw... You can have an adb shell without being rooted. If you install Linc's update.zip in clockwork, your device will be rooted with Super User App.

CPG