ROOTING the eGlide 4 (EGL25BL)

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Oh I see, very clear. SO while this is running on the PC and getting ready to interface with the Tablet, does the tablet need to be at home screen or powered off? Thank you in advanced.

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Sorry for all the questions, but once this "rooting" takes place, what are the benefits. From what I have read regarding phone rooting, you can remove apps from the tablet and install custom ROMs but other than that, once this process is complete, what will I see, what will happen when the tablet reboots? Thank you :)

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Oh I see, very clear. SO while this is running on the PC and getting ready to interface with the Tablet, does the tablet need to be at home screen or powered off? Thank you in advanced.

Running, disconnected, with USB DEBUGGING enabled (comes that way)...

Sorry for all the questions, but once this "rooting" takes place, what are the benefits. From what I have read regarding phone rooting, you can remove apps from the tablet and install custom ROMs but other than that, once this process is complete, what will I see, what will happen when the tablet reboots? Thank you :)

Nothing obvious. The 'magic' of rooting only happens when it is called upon to make changes that arent normally allowed, like removing those 'system-installed' apps that noone likes....
Many apps that help you manipulate operations need it... including elaborate file managers and 'system tweaker' apps.

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Running, disconnected, with USB DEBUGGING enabled (comes that way)... Nothing obvious. The 'magic' of rooting only happens when it is called upon to make changes that arent normally allowed, like removing those 'system-installed' apps that noone likes.... Many apps that help you manipulate operations need it... including elaborate file managers and 'system tweaker' apps.
Understood, that makes sense now. So when the "root" is complete, you can go to apps and uninstall or you still need a file manager like Astro or Titanium to remove? Then if possible you can install a custom ROM if there is one available?? I have a HTC Sensation 4G and have not yet rooted that phone as it is very fast as it is. Thank again for all your knowledge

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Generally you have to use something different to remove them... they are still considered 'speshul' by the manage apps...
I seriously doubt there are ANY custom anythings for this yet, but yes, being rooted makes custom upgrades much easier.
:D

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Generally you have to use something different to remove them... they are still considered 'speshul' by the manage apps... I seriously doubt there are ANY custom anythings for this yet, but yes, being rooted makes custom upgrades much easier. :D
I will see how it works out the box and give it a test run. I heard so many negative reviews but for the price, I had to try it. Plus I want to use it for checking G Mail or Internet , no multitasking. PEACE

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I will see how it works out the box and give it a test run. I heard so many negative reviews but for the price, I had to try it. Plus I want to use it for checking G Mail or Internet , no multitasking. PEACE

I dont know how... For its size/price/ability the ONLY complaint I have about it is the DST issue... and that is SOOOOO minor I almost forget about it!
... and it plays 'Big Buck Bunny' flawlessly! :p

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Well Walmart called me up and it was ready for pick up, I charged it , and started using it. I must say , the reviews were right about the screen and its non-responsiveness. I used a stylus that I had and that helped. I tried to install FireFox but to no avail. Other than that, it works. one thing at a time, but the touch position errors and screen lag is terrible. I will give it a few days and see if that grows on me, but I could not really navigate email too well and surfing was frustrating. Thanks for listening and offering help PEACE

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I have NEVER experienced these problems you have... I suppose I just automatically expected less of it. :rolleyes:
Of course, you can recalibrate the touchscreen (under developers(?)) to make it better. I personally LIKE and prefer needing to be a bit more 'agressive' in pressing the screen.
Tho the new capacitive one is still nice... and my paws havent done MUCH 'cludge-typing' yet. :p

You might want to consider the XLpro2 currently on sale with the 10" capacitive screen... I recently got one of those too... and it might suit you better.
... and it will root in EXACTLY the same way! :D

Cheers!

MIXXX

Sep 25, 2012
Well Walmart called me up and it was ready for pick up, I charged it , and started using it. I must say , the reviews were right about the screen and its non-responsiveness. I used a stylus that I had and that helped. I tried to install FireFox but to no avail. Other than that, it works. one thing at a time, but the touch position errors and screen lag is terrible. I will give it a few days and see if that grows on me, but I could not really navigate email too well and surfing was frustrating. Thanks for listening and offering help PEACE
Yes I was thinking of using the 10" version with capacitive screen and no more resistive screen.. There is a big difference with screen responsiveness. Great discussing this product. Regards Frankie B.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Hi,

I saw here that you are one of the few who owns this model and successfully rooted it. I am a newbie with tablets and I'm trying to get the adb connection working w/o success under windows 7. I setup an android development environment following one the tutorials online (java jdk, eclipse, android sdk, downloaded platform files, etc). But nothing I've tried has allowed adb devices to detect the tablet (which definitely has the usb-debugging enabled). Now, I can see the file-system of the tablet on my pc when I connect, but the device mgr shows (under other devices) a device named 'MID' which does not get a driver and I'd guess that's the problem. Where do I get this driver? Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Steve

Id rather you had made a thread of this so that others could benefit from it (if helpful to them),
nevermind, I did it for you!

but...
When mine is connected to the PC (thru the LOWER port), it shows me 2 things...
1) that debugging is connected, and
2) that usb is connected.
IF I tap on the 2nd one, it allows me to turn ON/OFF the FILE ACCESS to the pad. (When file access is ENABLED, other abilities INCLUDING ADB are disabled.)
When it is off, you SHOULD be able to see the pad mentioned in the 'adb devices'.

All this (like the development environment) is unnecessary...
Go to this thread:
New Universal Root Method for 'Most' ICS and Jelly Bean Devices

Get it, and set it up 'pretty-much anywhere' on your PC (a file and a folder)...
Run it...
IF YOUR CONNECTION IS GOOD ENUF TO SEE FILES on the tablet, this SHOULD WORK.
No adb setup BS neeeded. Perhaps a full minute or two to do the whole thing.

... Did you READ the thread I did about it? :confused:

EDIT:
Okay... I have taken a look thru Device Manager and I see
$New-1.jpg
WHICH MIGHT BE ATTRIBUTABLE to having installed the SDB package...
but, AS I SAID BEFORE,
IF your device CAN BE SEEN and you can get access to the FILES on IT... try the download I suggested.

Last edited:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
For ACTUAL adb 'interfacing' you need to already have adb(.exe for Win7) available and configured so you can run it in a command-prompt (aware?).
The 'stuff' folder from the download I mentioned HAS what you need there.

When a command prompt is created and 'adb devices' is run, it will start the adb connection and show what devices are there.
If there is nothing under
'List of devices attached'

then it cannot be seen. (as is true of my SuperPADs... ALL of them. :rolleyes: )
HOWEVER, if it DOES exist, you will see something like

List of devices attached
InfoTMIC-MID device

and you are able to do TERRIBLE THINGS to the tablet... including wiping it out COMPLETELY! :eek:

Let me/us know what you find! :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
It is beginning to look like I was able to use the 'easy' root BECAUSE I had allowed the Android SDK to install the android usb driver(s)...

This would definately be something that the guy/gal at XDA would likely have overlooked... tho possibly not too.

Anyway, I have the driver... but figuring out how to send it somewhere for access is less than fun. :(

SteveS

Oct 3, 2012
Well, I am not sure how that driver gets installed. I assume we're talking about ~extras/google/usb_driver in the Android SDK directory. At first I thought it was only used when building a cross-platform application image for the tablet, but now it sounds like it may be used by windows for the debug channel? I am really a beginner at this so bear with me. I saw elsewhere an article about getting the adb to work where it was necessary to append a section to the android_usb.inf file linking the device (by id found in the device-mgr) to this driver. So, I tried doing that w/o success, though I may have not used the device id correctly.

And, yes, when I run adb devices, it reports no devices found. However, one time when I booted the tablet while watching the device mgr I saw Android device come up briefly, like for a second! Then it disappeared and the Other devices - MID entry was present and has remained.

BTW, I saw your other posts where you mentioned the Infotmic X220. Is that the processor in the EGlide 4? I haven't been able to determine that anywhere - did you ever crack yours open? :^)

Oh, and if it matters, what windows os are you running? I'm on 64bit w7.

Last edited:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Well, I am not sure how that driver gets installed. I assume we're talking about ~extras/google/usb_driver in the Android SDK directory. At first I thought it was only used when building a cross-platform application image for the tablet, but now it sounds like it may be used by windows for the debug channel? I am really a beginner at this so bear with me. I saw elsewhere an article about getting the adb to work where it was necessary to append a section to the android_usb.inf file linking the device (by id found in the device-mgr) to this driver. So, I tried doing that w/o success, though I may have not used the device id correctly.

And, yes, when I run adb devices, it reports no devices found. However, one time when I booted the tablet while watching the device mgr I saw Android device come up briefly, like for a second! Then it disappeared and the Other devices - MID entry was present and has remained.

BTW, I saw your other posts where you mentioned the Infotmic X220. Is that the processor in the EGlide 4? I haven't been able to determine that anywhere - did you ever crack yours open? :^)

It is possible that you have another driver 'interfering' with the Android one... If you have multiple USB ports try using a different one to connect on.
There is a program that will show you all the drivers that are 'attached' to USBs, but I dont remember what its called. If I can find it before you do Ill let you know... and I think THAT is the TRUE source of your problems..

I believe you will find the 'nitty-gritty' on this little beast under the thread about the dead charger...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/eglide4/46757-just-knew-id-do-eventually.html

I finally got the usb driver (that you seem to already have) in my 'box'... if you need it I will PM you a link.

Oh... try DISABLING the driver that always attaches.... then disconnect and reconnect... see if that will allow the Google one to hook up....
(a possible quick&dirty fix!) :rolleyes:

... Did you at one time have a different tablet? That would explain it... ???

Last edited: