ROOTING the eGlide 4 (EGL25BL)

SteveS

Oct 3, 2012
It is possible that you have another driver 'interfering' with the Android one... If you have multiple USB ports try using a different one to connect on.
There is a program that will show you all the drivers that are 'attached' to USBs, but I dont remember what its called. If I can find it before you do Ill let you know... and I think THAT is the TRUE source of your problems..

I believe you will find the 'nitty-gritty' on this little beast under the thread about the dead charger...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/eglide4/46757-just-knew-id-do-eventually.html

I finally got the usb driver (that you seem to already have) in my 'box'... if you need it I will PM you a link.

Oh... try DISABLING the driver that always attaches.... then disconnect and reconnect... see if that will allow the Google one to hook up....
(a possible quick&dirty fix!) :rolleyes:

:D

... Did you at one time have a different tablet? That would explain it... ???

Ok, finally got it! It was the android_winusb.inf file that had to be edited, at least for my Win7/64. I used the USBDeview tool you referred to above to get the proper device-id of the tablet and then put it under the Google.NTamd64 section rather than the Google.NT86x section. Then I installed the driver via the Device-Mgr and lo-and-behold I've got an Android device and 'adb devices' finds it as expected. Thank you so much for your help with this!

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Ok, finally got it! It was the android_winusb.inf file that had to be edited, at least for my Win7/64. I used the USBDeview tool you referred to above to get the proper device-id of the tablet and then put it under the Google.NTamd64 section rather than the Google.NT86x section. Then I installed the driver via the Device-Mgr and lo-and-behold I've got an Android device and 'adb devices' finds it as expected. Thank you so much for your help with this!

Now, I did NOT have to do that...
Are you talking about the INF file in the usb driver INSTALL folder or somewhere else?
(This info may help others someday!)
Maybe even me! :p

GLAD to hear you found the problem... are you going to retry the root now? Im SURE it will work.... NOW. :D

SteveS

Oct 3, 2012
Now, I did NOT have to do that...
Are you talking about the INF file in the usb driver INSTALL folder or somewhere else?
(This info may help others someday!)
Maybe even me! :p

GLAD to hear you found the problem... are you going to retry the root now? Im SURE it will work.... NOW. :D

The file I had to edit is: %AndroidSDKRootDir%/extras/google/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf
In this file you have to have an entry that matches your tablet/phone usb device by device-instance-id (which you can get from running USBDeview).
And you have to make sure that you put the entry under the correct section, either 'Google.NT.x86' or 'Google.NTamd64, depending on whether your o/s is 32 or 64 bits.
Note that I had originally put my entry under the Google.NT.86 section since I mistakenly thought the Google.NTamd64 was just for AMD proc based 64bit systems. Wrong!
Anyway, fixing that mistake allowed me to finally get the usb driver loaded (and no, I hadn't ever had any prior tablet/phone device driver installed - but if I had, usbdeview would have made it easy to purge from the system).

Now, I am going to see about doing my original task which is to write some custom apps for the EGlide4 that involve setting its usb device into host mode to talk over it to an arduino uno microcontroller. So if anyone can steer me toward info on any of this, but especially how to set up the USB host mode, I'd be very grateful. And as to root script, it's very instructive and likely that at some point (maybe soon!) I'll need to use it. Thanks again for the help and info!

charlier1977

Dec 25, 2012
The file I had to edit is: %AndroidSDKRootDir%/extras/google/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf
In this file you have to have an entry that matches your tablet/phone usb device by device-instance-id (which you can get from running USBDeview).
And you have to make sure that you put the entry under the correct section, either 'Google.NT.x86' or 'Google.NTamd64, depending on whether your o/s is 32 or 64 bits.
Note that I had originally put my entry under the Google.NT.86 section since I mistakenly thought the Google.NTamd64 was just for AMD proc based 64bit systems. Wrong!
Anyway, fixing that mistake allowed me to finally get the usb driver loaded (and no, I hadn't ever had any prior tablet/phone device driver installed - but if I had, usbdeview would have made it easy to purge from the system).

Now, I am going to see about doing my original task which is to write some custom apps for the EGlide4 that involve setting its usb device into host mode to talk over it to an arduino uno microcontroller. So if anyone can steer me toward info on any of this, but especially how to set up the USB host mode, I'd be very grateful. And as to root script, it's very instructive and likely that at some point (maybe soon!) I'll need to use it. Thanks again for the help and info!

Steve, when you edited the entry of the android_winusb.inf file what exactly did you add.

I am slightly new to this, I have been rooting and installing custom roms for a while, but I have never had this much trouble getting a device to do anything.
I too am getting the MID device in device manager on a Win7 64bit machine. I have tried ever USB port. I have tried to disable the device.

All I want to do is get Play Market on it so my son can install a few apps that he likes. Otherwise all this device is good for is basic internet browsing, as the "Ematic App Store" is useless and as far as I can see it has nothing available to install.

Also just to clarify ADB Devices shows nothing listed either.

I was able to sideload ES File Explorer so I now can see the file system.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.